• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

E Collar Training

Cheese

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
CONUS
General question. I'm sure there are individuals here that have experience training with one of these. On your dog, not your bud on a slightly inebriated evening. Are these worth it? Do they really have the reach they advertise? Next step might be an indoor version. Thoughts are welcome. Good to be back BTW.

They are an effective training tool IF you completely understand their proper application. Mis-used you can ruin a dog with one. Professional-quality ones have very long effective range (they have to for bird dogs that are ranging too far afield, or they would be useless). If you're going to use one, I recommend to keep the Golden Rule in mind when deciding when it's time to apply the correction.

I honestly can't think of a legitimate use of an indoor version, but I'm not saying there isn't a reason I haven't considered. That's usually correction you can apply on the spot, which is always better. The main use of an E collar if for applying correction to a dog that is misbehaving at a distance too far for you to reach, and is willfully ignoring commands that he legitimately understands.

Last edited:
I used one for my dog. The idea is to stimulate the dog, not punish it. Too much shock will make the dog panic and bolt. I bought the Sport Dog model that has a range of 100 yards IIRC. Follow the directions, and use it correctly. The model I bought also had a toner so you could start with that along with verbal commands.

Vh20 hit the basics.
range is clear line of sight and tells you how powerful the transmitter is. That is not an indication of how strong the shock will be. Collar has it's own battery with reciever that will give the shock. To get through trees and over hills you need a good collar. 100 yards won't even reach the end of my back yard. The collar i use is 1.5 miles.

Bogey could give insight into security dogs. Mine is with field/hunting dogs.

You can not buy the collar and the puppy on the same day. I would say you have to work withbthe dog for awhile first. I would say a few months. Each dog will be different.

You want to make sure the dog knows the command. You can't get a 3 month old pup, slap a collar on it, say "sit" and shock the shit out of it. You have to teach it "sit". Shock collar is a "reinforcement" tool.

It is used when the dog knows what you want but is focused on something besides you.

I like one with, tone,tick, zap. Say a comand, if followed then prasie is given. If not tone. Repeat command if not followed then tick. Repeat for zap (the collars have a limit on how long and how often) i think mine is a max of 7 sec with a 30 sec pause if the 7 sec are reached.

Train first. If you decided on a new command it must be taught first.

^^ I don't know if they even make any without the warning tone, but that is a mandatory feature for proper use. If you find one without it, don't buy it.

Great tool if properly used, but just a tool. Many years ago I taught a coon dog to run deer silent. That wasn't the goal, but it was the result.

The indoor version (Not an "E" collar brand/type) has zones that you can set up with tone then progressive stimulation. Can't be there all the time every day to say "No". Again, thoughts are very appreciated. Thanks so far everyone.

As stated above, MUST BE USED PROPERLY, just like any training / training tools. I'm sure there are a lot of training videos out there but I have the Leerburg video that explains everything. In 10 years with a Dogtra, have only had to replaced the batteries once.

^^ Perfect example of the law of unintended consequences! I love how you phrased that - "I taught a coon dog to run deer silent."

The indoor version (Not an "E" collar brand/type) has zones that you can set up with tone then progressive stimulation. Can't be there all the time every day to say "No". Again, thoughts are very appreciated. Thanks so far everyone.

You mean to keep the dog away from certain areas in the house? Like Invisible Fence, but for inside? That's not what I thought you meant, but I guess it would be OK. Works fine outside (for dogs who are smart enough to make the connection with their boundaries to why they're getting zapped). But I would just close off the forbidden areas when I'm away, if possible.

If not practical to shut off the areas to be avoided it could work. You have a product you are looking at?

One issue with the e-fence is they work both ways. If you had a runner like i have seen before (friends dog) she learned if she got 7 or so ft on the other side it stopped. So only had to endure pain for a about 1 sec to cover 14 ft at full speed. The problem then arose that when she decided to come home the fence wouldn't let her back in and she didn't have the energy or give a shit to go back across to saftey.

Last edited: