• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors E-File suppressor as individual?

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
This has almost certainly been discussed, but I did a search and didn't find anything definitive. I'm sure I missed it, so apologies in advance for the Department of Redundancy Department question.

If I purchase a suppressor from my local SOT, can the dealer E-File the Form 4 if I elect to transfer as an individual?

If not, and E-Files are exclusively for trusts...how quickly can a trust be set up and what is the typical cost for an attorney to do so?

Any issues transferring the suppressor I already have on an individual Form 4 to the trust?

Thanks in advance for the hand-holding, SH!

I don't belive so, as the way to upload finger prints doesn't seem to exist.
The hard part might be finding a dealer that is willling to do the eform submissions.
They have to register and do something with inventory I believe.
Since the eform system has been so buggy, I think most are sticking to the traditional way of papers.

I have done the Quicken trust and it took a few hours, attorney?.
You might do an internet search for NFA trusts or NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog :: Published by Florida Gun Trust Lawyer David Goldman , NFATCA Forum might help

E-File suppressor as individual?

No, you cannot e-file a Form 4 for transfer to an individual. There currently is no way to electronically upload your photo and fingerprints in a format that ATF can then process. Transfer to a trust works because there is no need for either photos or fingerprints.

Also, it was stated that a Form 4 requires the ATF's inventory system to be up-to-date. When your SOT ordered the suppressor (likely on a Form 3), their electronic inventory was updated to include the specific suppressor (incl. s/n). The SOT then can only do F4 transfers of whatever they have in their electronic inventory. (This inventory thing does only apply to F4, not Form 1, where you build any NFA item yourself, as opposed to transferring an existing NFA item.)

Trusts can be created quickly. I had mine within 48 hours, and my attorney and I took our sweet time to research some issues of international law. Others have reported to having received their trust same day. There are a lot of threads on cost, and if you involve a lawyer you can expect to pay roughly between $200 and $600-ish.

Last edited: