• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors E Forms and dealer paperwork

mtnhunter22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2020
May have already been covered but can’t find any info.

I e filed in March for a nomad TI. Received my approval 12/5 via email.

Silencer shop is telling me this email is all I need to pickup the can.

Dealer is telling me they cannot give me the can until ATF sends them the physical stamp via snail mail.

Can anyone comment with experience? Thanks

Just print a copy of the form they sent in your email. Has the colored green stamp and their signature on it

Just called the dealer again

They said, “We have been advised by the ATF that we need the actual hard copy paperwork before we can give you your can. The email isn’t your actual stamp”

So looks like I will be at their mercy for a while. Unfortunate!

They said, “We have been advised by the ATF that we need the actual hard copy paperwork before we can give you your can. The email isn’t your actual stamp”

No. This is wrong. You will never get anything in the mail and neither will they. Tomorrow you need to show up with a color printed copy of the approved form 4. If they will not give it to you call the atf NFA branch and ask for a supervisor to speak to the SOT. And most importantly never do business there again.

They won’t send you a copy. So wait away. There’s a attachment to the approved email they sent which is your copy to print off

They won’t send you a copy. So wait away. There’s a attachment to the approved email they sent which is your copy to print off
According to them they have received hard copies of other customers who have e-filed. So he made it sound like eventually the actual paperwork will come?

This is my first can so I’m not too familiar with the process. But they’re for sure being less than helpful. Only answer I got was last they talked to the ATF they have to wait for the hard copy and to call back in a week or so if I haven’t heard from them.

According to them they have received hard copies of other customers who have e-filed. So he made it sound like eventually the actual paperwork will come?

This is my first can so I’m not too familiar with the process. But they’re for sure being less than helpful. Only answer I got was last they talked to the ATF they have to wait for the hard copy and to call back in a week or so if I haven’t heard from them.
Ok. Enjoy your new can

Reactions: Charger442
There is a way to do the efile with paper fingerprints and so that you do get a paper stamp as well as the email one but the email is absolutely 100% your approval and good to go for you to take your can. This is bs. Go there with your printed APPROVAL AND STAMP.

If they won't give it to you, call the atf and tell them the situation and ask to speak to a supervisor so they can speak with SOT ad @TacticalDillhole said, and wait if you have to, but take that can home with you and use it.

Agree with the above - I've done 2 eforms and for both, when I received the approval email, I waltzed into my dealer's shop and left with my can. They receive the same approval email you do.

Reactions: FuhQ and sgtsmmiii

They are lying to you, there is no physical form for approved eforms.

They are lying to you, there is no physical form for approved eforms.
OP,

Now that a reputable dealer from here has confirmed what we all told you to begin with,

Print your form, go get your can, then tell them to pound sand when you buy your next can. This place clearly is either a backwoods Bob type place or new and unfamiliar with the process.

Any reputable dealer knows the eform process as it’s been in place for a year now

Or sit and wait for a paper that will never show up

They now have your bought and paid for property.

- Show the form
- Fill out last bit of paperwork (same as you would when buying a firearm)
- Leave with can

If they feed you a line of crap get local LE involved. At this point you can assume fraud or scam

Reactions: Balor and FuhQ
OP,

Now that a reputable dealer from here has confirmed what we all told you to begin with,

Print your form, go get your can, then tell them to pound sand when you buy your next can. This place clearly is either a backwoods Bob type place or new and unfamiliar with the process.

Any reputable dealer knows the eform process as it’s been in place for a year now

Or sit and wait for a paper that will never show up

They now have your bought and paid for property.

- Show the form
- Fill out last bit of paperwork (same as you would when buying a firearm)
- Leave with can

If they feed you a line of crap get local LE involved. At this point you can assume fraud or scam

Agreed. I have a number of e-forms electronic "stamps" for both F1 and F4, going back even to the early days of e-forms, and have never received a paper copy for any of them. You'll be waiting a long time (forever) if you go with what your dealer said.

Your dealer is either clueless or lying to you. Hopefully it's the first, and a call to the ATF while you're there with the dealer can clear it up. If it's the latter, and they don't have your can or something else is fishy, you may need legal involvement. Hopefully a call to the ATF can clear it up either way, but make sure to do it in person there at the dealer.

But don't just let them make you wait, that's not right or legal.

Reactions: FuhQ
Update:

Thanks for all the replies. I finally went in and took them a copy of the email I received. At this point they still were insisting that they needed the physical paperwork from the ATF. So we had some words back and forth and I left.

Came back the next day and they had called around and found out that they were wrong.

So long story short after several back and forth’s I got my can yesterday.

They were clueless. Luckily I got it and can go somewhere else next time.

Thanks to those who replied and gave info. Taking it out to shoot today

Mention to the dealer that he may be illegally possessing your suppressor.

Keith

ETA: Just saw you last post, CONGRATULATIONS!! 👍

Last edited:
Update:

Thanks for all the replies. I finally went in and took them a copy of the email I received. At this point they still were insisting that they needed the physical paperwork from the ATF. So we had some words back and forth and I left.

Came back the next day and they had called around and found out that they were wrong.

Glad you got that taken care of. It's kind of surprising just how little a lot of FFL's and "gun smiths" know about lots of stuff. My experience has been that Anything detailed, they generally know MUCH MUCH less than the regulars here about any given subject. This is particularly true when it comes to ballistics / accuracy / precision/ and NFA items. (Obviously, I am not including our well known smith's here that are real professionals in this broad brush stroke), I am talking about my experience with the typical local gun smith/FFL

Over the years I've had to take care of "gunsmith" created issues including a "trigger job" that resulted in the rifle firing every time he closed the bolt. After I adjusted it properly I asked him who had screwed with it. "my gunsmith" Told him to never go there again, you can't believe how badly the setting were screwed up.

Update:

Glad you got it sorted, and good on you for standing up to their BS. I think a lot of these ill-informed dealers get away with their shenanigans simply because most people are afraid to make waves.