• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing E.R. Shaw gunsmithing question

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I've got a large ring mauser action that I bought as the basis for a project gun. I want to turn it into a light and handy 7mm-08 (my prefered carabou round)

Someone suggested that I go to ER Shaw since they'd rebarrel, drill and tap, reforge the bolt, and refinish the barreled action for me. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of their gunsmithing shop on sporterizing surplus actions? Their prices looked pretty reasonable...

Re: E.R. Shaw gunsmithing question

I had a VZ 24 barreled in 30-06 by them about 8-9 years ago. The barrel and work was very reasonable....around 200 bucks back then for the barrel and work. I had the bolt and scope base done already so I cant speak for their work on that part. The barrel on the other hand was suprisingly accurate for the cost. I had it barreled for my son for his first deer rifle. He still uses it and it has never given us a minutes worth of trouble. I will say that the turnaround was a little slow but that was a long time ago. Sorry i couldnt help more.....