• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

E. R. Shaw Rifles

buskin

Retired USCG
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
Grand River, Ohio
Anybody own and shoot an E. R. Shaw custom rifle?

If so, what are your impressions of the tweaked Savage action/trigger, their barrel, and the overall quality and accuracy?

TIA

No love for the Mk VII rifle...

Here is what I have learned:

The action is a Savage action that Shaw specifies and blueprints in either 4140 or stainless.

The barrel nut is removed/not used and a larger recoil lug is used.

The AccuTrigger is fine tuned.

The barrel can be completely specified.

Did I miss anything?

I haven't looked at their complete rifles but have looked at their Salvage prefits and own a 243 barrel, the twist rates seemed to be too slow for every caliber if you want to shoot the high BC heavy for caliber bullets. My 243 barrel is very accurate with 95gr SST's, it will consistently make 5 round groups at or close to 1/2".

I had a Mark VII in 260 Rem. It took almost twice the estimated build time to get to me, and struggled to shoot MOA with the majority of loads i tried. The spiral fluting sure looked nice though.

I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and it is super accurate with Prime 130 or Berger 140s. I don't like the accutrigger in any gun so I put a Timney in it. I have shot multiple 6" groups at 800 yards with it. For a hunting rifle or groundhog gun they are great. Target shooting also work fine but they dont come with DBM so you need to do more work on your end to compete with one.

A few buddies have them also and they all cut holes. 204 Ruger, 300 Win, 338 RUM.
I would upload photos of groups but I am not sure how to.

I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and it is super accurate...

Thanks, that is what I am hoping for since its a 6.5CM as well.

I also think the Timney is a great upgrade, which I have done on my last 2 builds.

Take care and hopefully I will get the gun out soon once I am done upgrading the chassis and glass.

:)

What about the newer MK X? Any info on that?

I've been up to the shop when I visit my folks, I picked up one of their 10/22 rifles that has their barrel and it's in a Magpul X22 stock. Pretty fantastic little rifle, and less expensive than doing it all yourself. If the 22 is representative of their bigger stuff, then I would have no issues buying one of their rifles. The guys are good to work with, and apparently they make barrels for several other companies out there as well.