• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

E.R. Shaw

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
any good? ive heard they are decent for hunting but not great target barrels. i want a prethreaded barrel for a mauser action in .308 win. Shaw is the only real big name barrel i can find that prethreads barrels for under $200.

Re: E.R. Shaw

Go ahead and get it. Shaw just called me today. They did a 220 swift for me that will be here by Wednesday. A buddy had a 7 mag done by them that shot just about every load he put in it. A shaw barrel will certianly do anything you need a tactical rig to do.

I live about 20 min from shaw, i have done a few of the bbls, accuracy isint bad. Had one in a 308 that produced good rounds. They are doing alot of ar bbls now. I have also used douglas alot. Check there site you may pay a few bucks more but they are better bbls in my opnion, for that price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go ahead and get it. Shaw just called me today. They did a 220 swift for me that will be here by Wednesday. A buddy had a 7 mag done by them that shot just about every load he put in it. A shaw barrel will certianly do anything you need a tactical rig to do. </div></div> sounds like a good deal let me know how that 220 turns out. douglas looks pretty good. how do they shoot? any pictured of groups?

Douglas shoots very well. I have 2, they are both excellent. I've run Adams and Bennet, Douglas and Shilen. I use Shilen a lot more now because I can get the blanks on a dealer price and just cut the thing myself, so it's cheaper out of pocket expenses.

Shaw makes excellent tubes. I've got a 6.5CM that shoots .5 MOA out to 1k if I do my part. I am a firm believer that by ordering a barrel in a caliber other than .30 cal, the chances of having them use worn tools to bore it are less likely. Due to volume obviously.

I have a .300WM barreled by Shaw that shoots pretty well. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Kreiger, but if you're not trying to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out it should be just fine.

is 4 to 5 months to produce a barrel a bit long? ive never bought a barrel from the manufacturer before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is 4 to 5 months to produce a barrel a bit long? ive never bought a barrel from the manufacturer before. </div></div>

It depends on what you want, and who you're getting it from. When you get certain contours of barrels, or they are done with special twist, flutes, etc, the lead times will sometimes change. The reason being that your barrel may be a "one off" deal and they have to program their machines after they've done a run of barrels to your specs. There are different times of the year when people start ordering barrels as well, all depends how covered up they are. When I ordered my Krieger it was a 4 month lead time, so the lead time you mentioned doesn't sound too excessive to me.

I had a Douglas premium air guaged med. contour 7mm barrel(in 7mm08)on a Howa 1500 action put together by a well known local gunsmith(think 7mm-300Wthrby Mag)that shot .5-.75 consistantly w/ the right loads. They are shooters. Great value for the $ IMHO. Get one.

the barrel i want is a .308 non fluted 20" in a 3.5 contour. it seems kind of a typical barrel for a "tactical" rifle. the site said it was a minimum of 4-5 months but probably more. i e-mailed the customer service department to ask if there was a way to rush an order. im expecting a no.

i think ill look into the douglas a bit more now that ive heard more about them.

It was 5 months on my barreled action. You can't beat shaws price for a new headspaced barrel. I had $330 with return shipping to me for my swift. It's getting reboxed tonight and sent to eabco for a muzzle break tomorrow. Another 5-6 weeks and I should have it back again. Just send them your action by mail and forget about it.

5 months is really no big deal. The custom gun industry all ride pretty high horses. I'm at 8 months on my 243 AI build with no beleavable answer on when it will actually be complete. I quit asking for the builder to lie to me about a completion date.

If you want it fast & expect it fast, you'll be sorely dissapointed with this industry. I had one built that was to be done in 30-45 day and it took 60 plus and had to be sent back once I got it.