• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eagle stock pack - very disappointed with quality

gunman_7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2006
So for a gift my wife bought me a black stock pack two years ago this fall, It pretty much sat in the safe the whole time except for a few trips to the range attached to my target .223, this past spring I really had a chance to use it in SoDak on a week long Prairie Dog shoot. After the first day of shooting my wife pointed out that I had black stuff all over my face, sure enough the black felt was rubbing off with just the lightest amount of pressure. I can run my hand over it and it would rub off some of the felt. I have never sprayed anything on it, or cleaned it with any chemical.

Knowing Eagle Industries warranties there products for life I figured no big deal. But when I contacted them, I explained the situation and the lady came off as though I was lying about the defected product and stated I would need to spend my money and sent it to them before she would replace it, no call tag or any consideration. Now this is where I have a problem. I spent money on a product that turned out to be defective, no big deal, it happens, but what bugs me is that they are demanding from me to spend even more money and ship it back. I offered to send multiple pictures clearly showing the defective product but the customer service person became blunt and refused. The damn thing only costs $30 to begin with, I'm not going to spend another ten to ship it back to them...

I attached a few pictures, but I'm pretty disappointed with Eagle Industries inability to pull their heads out and give me what I paid for, a working product...

Chris

pack003.jpg

pack005.jpg

Re: Eagle stock pack - very dissapointed with quality

What you call 'black felt' should be the lammy suede.

Does your stock pack say Made in the USA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you call 'black felt' should be the lammy suede.

Does you stock pack say Made in the USA? </div></div>

I was thinking the same. Look for the small "Eagle" tag on the inside. I have gotten Hoppes and gun oil on mine without a problem.

Yea that sounds like a better description, and yes it does have the green eagle 'made in USA' tag....

You took your wife instead of me??? You deserve this!

Really though, I have one that has done that out of 5, coincidentally, the one that gets used the most. It just ends up smooth which I prefer. Have you tried putting lotion on your face to smooth the stubble?

I wonder where mine is made...

lol, trust me buddy, she is much better looking... lotion? what kinda gunfighter manly man are you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea that sounds like a better description, and yes it does have the green eagle 'made in USA' tag.... </div></div>

Hmmm, maybe lose the "Don Johnson" beard
laugh.gif

Take a damp rag and see if you can wipe away the stuff thats peeling away. Or send it back. You can stuff it in a padded envelope through the mail for a couple bucks and hopefully they'll hook you up with a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunman_7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea that sounds like a better description, and yes it does have the green eagle 'made in USA' tag.... </div></div>

Hmmm, maybe lose the "Don Johnson" beard
laugh.gif

Take a damp rag and see if you can wipe away the stuff thats peeling away. Or send it back. You can stuff it in a padded envelope through the mail for a couple bucks and hopefully they'll hook you up with a new one. </div></div>

lol yea, I'm just disappointed that I was treated like that and nearly accused of lying about it by their customer service rep...

Its caused by the acids in your sweat. I used the same stock pack for 5-6 years with no such signs. One of my team-mates had the same issue as you after 2-3 years. Out of the hundreds of these I sell each year, I hear this 1-2 times per year. Your just caustic to lamisuede. Like kryptonite to superman, only the other way around.

As suggested, snail mail it back to Eagle. Tell them that it is not normal wear-n-tear from use. Compare it to the amount of wear on the rest of the pack. Once its in their hands, they are much more likely just to repair it than argue with you about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its caused by the acids in your sweat. I used the same stock pack for 5-6 years with no such signs. One of my team-mates had the same issue as you after 2-3 years. Out of the hundreds of these I sell each year, I hear this 1-2 times per year. Your just caustic to lamisuede. Like kryptonite to superman, only the other way around.

As suggested, snail mail it back to Eagle. Tell them that it is not normal wear-n-tear from use. Compare it to the amount of wear on the rest of the pack. Once its in their hands, they are much more likely just to repair it than argue with you about it. </div></div>

considering I sweat like a motherfucker, this might not be the best thing for me then...

I sweat a good deal too, but haven't had mine start to fall apart on me. Send it back to them and replace it, or just buy a new one....

As I was laying down today looking through my scope, in the 94 degree, 98% humidity florida weather, I thought about how good my Eagle stock pack has been to me. The sweat was rolling down my face and onto the stock pack, like it always does. This has been my favorite stock pack because my cheek doesn't slip whenever I am sweating like this.

Hopefully you just got a bad one, and they replace it for you. I have been extremely happy with mine.

Wait..you live in Minnesota, how can you be sweating up that far north?
wink.gif

I've had this "crumbling" of the suede-like material on two of these recently. I have older ones that have never decomposed.
I have to speculate that there is something different in how the "suede" is made/treated these days.
It leaves a black smudge on your face.

I have 4 Eagle stock packs and the black ones I got in 2003 did the same thing, black stuff all over my face. I think it might have been caused by the sunscreen I was using at the time dissolving the lammy suede. I sent them back to Eagle on my dime and they replaced the lammy suede and sent them back to me at no charge.

I sweat a good bit and usually wear a beard but haven't had any issues with the material flaking off.

I'm surprised they gave you that much grief. Seems like you're better off ordering through Steve @ Triad or one of the other guys on here.

Mine do the same, they stop 'shedding' fairly quick. I figure it's sweat, sunscreen, whiskers all working together with some recoil...grin

I can't see sending it back to replace the suede, only to repeat the shedding process.

To me it's just the break-in process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its caused by the acids in your sweat. I used the same stock pack for 5-6 years with no such signs. One of my team-mates had the same issue as you after 2-3 years. Out of the hundreds of these I sell each year, I hear this 1-2 times per year. Your just caustic to lamisuede. Like kryptonite to superman, only the other way around.

As suggested, snail mail it back to Eagle. Tell them that it is not normal wear-n-tear from use. Compare it to the amount of wear on the rest of the pack. Once its in their hands, they are much more likely just to repair it than argue with you about it. </div></div> That is bizarre... and like everything else just my luck, I would like another one but don't want to go through dealing with this stock pack fecal matter on my face...lol
Maybe I'll do what MM said and scrape the rest of it off and go from there...

+1

Especially since you had it for two years. She doesn't know what you sprayed on the rifle, what chemicals hit the pack, what is in your safe, etc.

If you want to go a different route, Triad makes a good pack. The large one is quite roomy if you need the space for mags, etc.