• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ear pro for hunting

Rifletuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Australia
Just wanted to hear from others who may already have an answer. My son does a lot of still hunting, along the lines of elk in heavy timber. Most shots are under 100 yards, but are taken quickly - ie a few seconds to ID an animal and shoot before the animal disappears into thick cover. So any ear pro already needs to be in place - there is no time to fit it once an animal is seen.

My son has tried stalking with Howard Leight & Walkers electronic ear muffs, but finds the sound input on these models too distracting. And its impossible to tell the direction of a sound you might pick up. Are there any higher end earmuffs that are better for this? Also, I get that a suppressor is a good option, but not legal for us.

Honestly, I've never used ear pro hunting. A few shots per year over a lifetime probably has some detrimental effects. Oh well.

I think the only real viable options are the in ear stuff that's gonna run hundreds of dollars.

You never notice recoil or sound when you're shooting an elk anyway.

Just wanted to hear from others who may already have an answer. My son does a lot of still hunting, along the lines of elk in heavy timber. Most shots are under 100 yards, but are taken quickly - ie a few seconds to ID an animal and shoot before the animal disappears into thick cover. So any ear pro already needs to be in place - there is no time to fit it once an animal is seen.

My son has tried stalking with Howard Leight & Walkers electronic ear muffs, but finds the sound input on these models too distracting. And its impossible to tell the direction of a sound you might pick up. Are there any higher end earmuffs that are better for this? Also, I get that a suppressor is a good option, but not legal for us.
You may want to try tetra in ear pro if you are wanting something high end, walker's also has some in the ear but I've only gotten lemons from them. Walkers razer are okay as far as sound quality goes if you are looking for over the ear protection, i have a set of slimline ones.

Honestly, I've never used ear pro hunting. A few shots per year over a lifetime probably has some detrimental effects. Oh well.

I think the only real viable options are the in ear stuff that's gonna run hundreds of dollars.

You never notice recoil or sound when you're shooting an elk anyway.

We hunt a lot - like 6 months or more each year. Its not a matter of noticing the sound with shots on game. More a mater of him not wanting to deal with the ringing in the ears that I have.

You may want to try tetra in ear pro if you are wanting something high end, walker's also has some in the ear but I've only gotten lemons from them. Walkers razer are okay as far as sound quality goes if you are looking for over the ear protection, i have a set of slimline ones.
Yep, understand that we will have to spend some money. I just dont want to buy something at the premium end of the spectrum, only to find that it doesnt solve the problem for him any better than the low cost ear pro did.

Reactions: RedTimber
We hunt a lot - like 6 months or more each year. Its not a matter of noticing the sound with shots on game. More a mater of him not wanting to deal with the ringing in the ears that I have.
Same. I'm using decibullz percussion caps with molded plugs rn. This works and does allow low volume sound but they are not anywhere near as loud at electronic hearing pro when it comes to your surroundings. No problems yet with gunshots or machinery to report.

Suppressors are my hunting ear-pro. Minus that, step way up from walkers or Howard Leights. I’ve had good luck with my Peltors. There’s probably better stuff out there but I’m either hunting with a can or I’m duck hunting.

Having gone through the same question I’ve found a few solutions depending on what you prefer. I value good ear pro very highly.

Howard Leights suck. Uncomfortable and poor protection with poor hear through.

The best solution is to shoot suppressed and use ear pro of some kind (whoever you’re with should be suppressed as well)

Over the ear dominates in-ear for protection because the ear itself is a conductor of sound and should be protected. I use Peltor TEP-200’s if I’m hiking and don’t want over-ear, they do well. I prefer my Peltor Tactical Sport 500’s with the 3m gel cups for sure, I wear them every day for hours. Extremely comfortable and excellent protection.

The best over-ear is the Ops Core AMP with NFMI plugs. It’s a plug/muff combo with about the best protection there is, and excellent hear through, and ability to use radios if you want or remove the mic if you don’t.

Reactions: InTuneGP
Recently picked up some Otto in ear and have been pretty impressed. The lack of having to wear muffs is really enjoyable. Otherwise I have some MSA Sordins that have been good

Reactions: culater
Im a fan of the ops core with the nfmi plugs. The directional sound isn't as precise as your ear but it gets you close and gives you a very good direction to look.

I've got expensive reamplifying ear pro, but really prefer surefire ep7 with the little plugs out, or etymotic ER20s.

The etymotics are designed for musicians - I used to wear them in my bar band and still wear them at concerts, etc.

With both those options (especially the etymotics), yea you won't hear as well, but you'll hear better with them in than lots of lifelong hunters that don't wear earpro hear day to day.

The etymotics aren't rated for gunshots, but they're probably sufficient for hunting use.

I wear them just to soften the sonic crack / action noise of suppressed weapons.

Both the options I listed are about 15-20db protection- the decibulz have a concert / musician line that preserves the frequency spectrum as well.

Just do the arithmetic on the db-
A 308 sized cartridge with a 20-24" barrel is probably around 155db or so at ear, so light musician style plugs will bring you down to the safe level for a shot or two.

I'd definitely go heavier for range time.

The hearing experience is fine for hunting IMO- after 10 minutes I forget it's in.

The reason I really don't like active stuff is because I wear a beanie while hunting and the active stuff amplifies the fabrics rubbing the mic.

TLDR- try a flat frequency passive earplug with 15db or so reduction.

Last edited:
Suppressor. Bonus is it does more than just protect your hearing.

Last few years Iv been adamant about protecting my hearing while hunting. Before I didn’t see it as a big deal, but now we are shooting more than just once a year. I’m going suppressed on all hunting rifles

Reactions: InTuneGP
Unless it's hog/varmint hunting of certain varieties, I don't find myself without the time to put in my ear plugs before I fire or already have them in if I'm in a stand. If such a situation arrises where the perfect deer crosses my path while I'm on the ground and I need to fire stat, then unfortunately the ears will be ringing. I have bought a suppressor but it's been almost 6 months and I still haven't seen it, so... we'll see.

This is what you want...only issue is price

3M™ PELTOR™ Level Dependent Earplug, LEP-200

3M Product Number LEP-200, 3M ID 70071677002, UPC 00093045938254

I primarily hunt with a pistol for deer in NY (44Mag SBH and 7-30 Contender) and have struggled with ear pro for years. I still hunt almost exclusively and have found the Surefire EP3's with the plugs out the best all around solution. They are comfortable enough to wear for hours but already in place for the shot without manipulation. They are also cheap enough to have a few pair so I never forget them and make the unfortunate decision to hunt without them.

I do a lot of rifle hunting along the same lines.

What has worked for me is a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel pads.

The ergonomics and the sound quality is very good.

Often I crank up the amplification to one notch above ambient level. That way I can better hear the faint sounds an approaching animal makes than had I not worn earprotection.

On a cold winterday they double as ear warmers. On a hot summers day I will have to remove them for a while every couple hours to ventilate my ears and the earmuffs.

Reactions: Stache
What a lot of people dont know is the sound energy that enters the ear is not the only damaging energy.

the vibration also enters the ear through the skull

If your really worried about hearing damage the best protection is a muff because they help dampen the energy through the skull.

of course plugs and muffs are best but …

I started using Swatcom and really like them. The sound is directional and being able to amplify it when hunting is great.

If I don’t wear over the ear I use the surefire. I keep them in my ear but not pushed in so I can hear better. When I think a shot may be coming up it takes about 2 seconds to push them in a little and then shoot.

Stalking and still hunting are two ways different methods when using electro hear pro.
Stalking requires the volume to be lowered to help keep from being "too loud". I've walked in wearing them thinking I was stomping thru like an elephant. Only to slide them off and realize I was creeping in like a mouse.
In the stand they can have a bit of directional confusion when hearing animals even with dual mics on the covers. Just need to learn what they are doing for you, and use that to help "find" the animal.

I've used Peltor and Walkers. I thought the Peltor was a better "sound" of the two.

Another vote for the MSA Sordins with gel pads. Only thing I’ve been able to wear for long periods when dove hunting. Otherwise I use suppressors.

I hunt suppressed. Freakin awesome!

Before that, I wore Peltor electronic muffs. Kept my hat from blowing away and kept my ears warm too.

I have been using E.A.R inc custom molded plugs for years. Comfortable and you can still hold a conversation with people. I use them all year (operating equipment, chainsaw, and shooting). My only regret is not wearing hearing protection when I was younger.

Reactions: Mark.n.chip
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with gel pads here
I stalk hunt most of the time and run into groups of hogs in the hard wood bottoms where the are lots of quick shots. I wear them on top of my head and as soon as I think I see something I'll pull them over my ears. I've yet to miss a hog or deer doing this. I've had hogs in the brush, sleeping or who knows what, that the hog and I didn't know each other were there until I was on top of them, and I've had time to pull them down, aim and fire.

The ringing in my ears from hunting suppressed but multiple shots out of an AR isn't worth it. It took me a couple hunts to trust this but finally said, I'm not shooting anything else without ear protection on and I'll now make shots and not even realize I've put them over my ears.

I've got the Otto in ears which are nice but I don't like to hunt the entire time with ear plugs in. Turkey hunting has been tougher. Making the calls then putting the ears on before the turkey is in sight, but I've been successful with the same tactic.

+1 for Otto NoizeBarrier in ear plugs with suppressed rifle. Otto’s have a normal (low) hearing option as well as a high option which gives you more amplified hearing.

Otto Engineering stands firmly behind their product and provides top notch customer service should you ever need it.

Recently got 2 pairs of Axil GS Extremes and have been pleased with them. Sound is good if you can tolerate the white noise at the highest settings. Work good for hunting plus has independent Bluetooth controls.

I really like my Etymotic Gunsport Pro. I had custom made inserts made for mine by an audiologist

Another vote here for Etymotic. Been using the Gun sport Pro for years, then when they were bought by Lucid, I got their rechargeable ones called Saf-T-Ears. Great product!

I use suppressors also but still wear inside the ear pro from Axil. I actually like the fact that they are looped together so I don't loose one, and they have Bluetooth and what not so you could use them for music or whatever. They also aren't crazy expensive.

Reactions: RedTimber
+1 for suppressed with Decibullz - in-ear, but you mould to your outer ear so they fit well. Still allow you to hear normal sounds without relying on electronics or messing up cheek weld. Pretty inexpensive too.

I lost a set of Etymotic Gunsport Pros while duck hunting a couple of weeks ago. They fell out in the dark, and I never found them. I replaced them with some Otto NoizeBarrier Micros. Has anyone found a good leash to secure these electronic earplugs?

Didn't read all the posts.....here's your answer

Run suppressors, if you run a long enough barrel and big enough suppressor on a bolt action it's hearing safe.

If running a suppressor on a semi....run basic ear pro = end of story

I have kids and I'm starting them off decent bolt actions that can grow with them = varmint or heavier contours, short barrels and suppressors.

Run shorter barrels and run suppressors

another vote for Otto noizebarriers. I use them a lot for upland birds, coyotes and at the range. Very impressive.