• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ear protection for 300 wm

DC52

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2018
got a 5R in 300 wm. have a break on it, but oh so loud. had muffs and still had to add plugs. any suggestions for ears?
thanks.

Reactions: maryam
Suppressors are good for reducing sound, combined with ear protection. But you’re probably not going to find stand alone ear protection that will work by itself. When shooting larger calibers such as the .50 BMG, we always went with ear plugs and ear muffs.

Honestly, the brake isn’t helping either, it’s possible it could be directing some of the blast, and therefore sound, rearward, even if at an angle. It’s like brakes on an AR, its great for recoil but holy hell does it make that blast more noticeable. Which brake do you have on there?

Plugs and muffs, then training.

Other than actually REDUCING the signature (can), only a full-coverage helmet can do more.

Suppressors are good for reducing sound, combined with ear protection. But you’re probably not going to find stand alone ear protection that will work by itself. When shooting larger calibers such as the .50 BMG, we always went with ear plugs and ear muffs.

Honestly, the brake isn’t helping either, it’s possible it could be directing some of the blast, and therefore sound, rearward, even if at an angle. It’s like brakes on an AR, its great for recoil but holy hell does it make that blast more noticeable. Which brake do you have on there?
i

+1 on plugs then peltors

You can still hear people around you with the electronic peltors turned up.

Ear plugs are a must as recoil can break the seal around your ear from the muffs.

Muffs are a must as the sound wave hitting the skull around your ear still transfers too much into the ear.
As I have maintained...

For those that argue against using muffs at all because the seal sometimes gets broken while shooting positional, that is why I use the plugs too. I shoot too much to increase my chances of hearing loss. As it is, every once in a while I still catch an unexpected unprotected blast from some dolt or another that doesn't bother telling the rest of the shooters around that he/she is going hot after everyone is back on the line but still BS-ing.

Muzzle brakes do seem to make it worse, I always wore a jacket with shoulder pads and never use a brake, I always wore Peltors though, seems like anything above 308 starts to get a bit unruly after that, soundwise

John.

thanks, it seems I need to get better set of plugs other than foam to go with muffs

I don't shoot boomers, but that's because my surgical history and heavy recoil don't mix well. I use customary electronic muffs, and when boomers set up next to me, I usually fold my tent and steal away.

I do it for a reason. I spent scores of years on ranges, and had a nearly perfect record of taking serious care to avoid hearing loss.

There was some loss, but that was simply natural.

There is another set of instances I can count in a single hand, and they were devastating, mainly cases where a shot was fired very close by without enough warning to get muffed up.

I now have serious hearing loss.

The moral to this story is that some hearing loss is going to occur, and those surprises are going to figure heavily in that loss. Hearing protection isn't just a matter of gear, it's also about situational awareness.

As bad as my situation is, it could still get worse. I still muff up and keep aware of my area.

Greg

Last edited:
Great combo for me was a set of impacts and Stihl branded earplugs. Cheap, and if I lost either in the field I'd feel like a jackass, but wouldn't get butthurt like I would if I lost a set of comtacs. My . 300 5r was a boomer for sure, thank goodness for the brake and heavy stock orherwise it would have kicked considerably more.

Did you recently pick that 5r up, in Texas?

bought from grabagun.com really shoots flat, walked it out to 900 yrds with factory ammo on day one. have tinkered with handloads now, settled on 168 berger VLD. at 100 yds put 4 holes in center touching each other. now have to re zero on longer distances but expect to exceed 1000 yds, that is my goal anyway. this is my first long range gun

10-4, will try out if I run out of hands or don't have time to reload. thanks.k what do u think the barrel life is on this gun? still conflicted on how often I should clean it. I have been running a rod thru it after about 50 rounds.

Well I might be biased, but I only clean after 100 rounds, sometimes more. Then I shoot a few more to slightly refoul the barrel. I could be completely wrong in that practice, so YMMV. I just had more confidence in a dirtyish gun than a clean one.

I will ONLY shoot with a suppressor now for centerfire. (hence why l have an AI muzzle brake for sale as it came with the gun but I have no use for it)

Hearing loss cannot be reversed. Double up for magnum rounds even with a can.

My supressor takes it down to about 136 decibels. Nearing painful levels. Most guns are plugs and muffs. I already have tinnitus so anything more just make it worse.