• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ear protection

F4 plt

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Maybe the wrong forum but I’m in a constant search for ear protection in the form of good ear plugs. I have been an avid shooter both recreational and competitive for my whole life and never found a pair of ear muffs that I could wear and not constantly have them touch the rifle cheek piece Thus interfering with good head position. I have tried the Walker electronic ear plugs and well no better than cheap foam ear plugs . Looking for good electronic ear plugs that fit and provide excellent ear protection , thanks

Reactions: Parkerized
Just got a pair of 3m Peltor EEP-100. Very happy with them. I think they were like $160. Very similar to the TEP-100. I actually called 3m and the rep said the differences were the TEP-100 had more ear piece options included, battery as well as usb charging vs just usb on the eep-100 and the tep-100 were submergible and the eep-100 were water resistant. The tep-100 are like $550 and the eep-100 were $160. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Happy with them so far but can’t speak to long term use yet.

We have a couple sets of Walkers, they are GREAT...for range time with pistols...I can't use them for anything with a rifle, I need a cheek weld and ear pro to not be in the way.

Triple flange military plugs; old school orange silicone ones, is what I use for everything now.

Those electronic Walkers are neat, since you can hear people talking at the range, but even the low profile ones we have are cumbersome.

Ditch the muffs. Go see an audiologist and have them custom mold some ear protection for you. You can get super expensive electronics with Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles, or you can get passive diaphragm models that close shut when a blast impulse is detected and allow you to still hear and converse normally at a much more reasonable price. I use the Defendear brand. Your local doctor will make your molds and send them to the mfg to have the internals installed.

Ditch the muffs. Go see an audiologist and have them custom mold some ear protection for you. You can get super expensive electronics with Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles, or you can get passive diaphragm models that close shut when a blast impulse is detected and allow you to still hear and converse normally at a much more reasonable price. I use the Defendear brand. Your local doctor will make your molds and send them to the mfg to have the internals installed.
I’m interested in this, I did a search for defender brand and didn’t find it. Could you post a link? Thanks

I have been using some Otto in the ear electronic o es and have been pretty happy with them. Added some memory foam earpieces and made a big difference for me.

I use foam plugs, electronic muffs and a suppressor. To deal with the muff/stock interference, I use high rings. This had the unexpected benefit of a more natural head position, which helped my accuracy, comfort, and view through the scope.

I use more of a chin-weld than a cheek-weld.

Just tossing this out there. I have hearing damage and do not wish to have more.

I’m interested in this, I did a search for defender brand and didn’t find it. Could you post a link? Thanks

Its DefendEAR. Their pun game is strong.

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
More choices.

I got the LEP-200s on a buy here on the Hide last year. Love them, but only after I changed to the "skull screw" foam tips. Even then I had to cut them short to get them to fit into my ear canals. I was skeptical about the protection...until I accidently left them out one time. They do work well!

Its DefendEAR. Their pun game is strong.
Thanks for the help.

The best ear pro that I have found is in the form of the cheap foam plugs. I have custom plugs and they are more comfortable, but lower performance than the foamies. I wear the custom plugs when I am a spectator, or at rimfire events- and when doing the yard. When I need more protection, like shooting a shotgun event, I wear the foamies. And, I wear foamies with muffs when shooting indoors, at prs events, or under awnings, pavilions, etc.

Reactions: nikonNUT
My rifle has chinweld too and usually never have problems with cheekweld either with MSA gel muffs.

I use the 3M CAEs usually and muffs sometimes, usually if breaks are used or a lot of gunfire is present.

I usually shoot 5-10m from nearest break and I shoot rifle suppressed, pistol unsuppressed.

For 22lr events which include non-suppressed guns the CAEs do very well.

So you might want to try them out, I have bought some extra also so I have always some with me.

The best ear pro that I have found is in the form of the cheap foam plugs. I have custom plugs and they are more comfortable, but lower performance than the foamies. I wear the custom plugs when I am a spectator, or at rimfire events- and when doing the yard. When I need more protection, like shooting a shotgun event, I wear the foamies. And, I wear foamies with muffs when shooting indoors, at prs events, or under awnings, pavilions, etc.
This. I use "The Ear Buddy". $18.00 for 50 pairs and they have an NRR of 32. My Walker Razors have an NRR of 28. I used them both when shooting my .338 (sidewinder brake. Gawd awful loud!). I don't need more tinitus...