• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Ear protection......

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    I have walker electric ear muffs but they get in the way shooting my rifle. So I use the $5 orange ear plugs with a string I also use them for work. But is there anything out there. I seen some water ear plug that are electric on sale at midway anyone run those or similar

I had the same problem with muffs interfering with my cheek weld on my rifles so I recently splurged and got a set of Otto Noizebarrier Micro ear plugs. They have two settings to cut down on the sound. I really like them a lot and consider their sound attenuation level to be as good if not better than my Sordin ear muffs. If you get them, order the Comply foam plugs off of Amazon to cut down on the sound even more.

I had the same problem with muffs interfering with my cheek weld on my rifles so I recently splurged and got a set of Otto Noizebarrier Micro ear plugs. They have two settings to cut down on the sound. I really like them a lot and consider their sound attenuation level to be as good if not better than my Sordin ear muffs. If you get them, order the Comply foam plugs off of Amazon to cut down on the sound even more.

I'm sure those are great but wow I'm more on the poor side haha

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
    I'm sure those are great but wow I'm more on the poor side haha
    Hey, I get it! I keep a pair of these in my range bag and they work great too...just no fancy electronics for hearing voices, to carry a conversation at the range. These are the Surefire EP10, and they cost $23 on Amazon. They work better than the regular foamies and they stay in the ear canal. These come in different models so read the detailed descriptions carefully. Good luck!!

Reactions: camocorvette
    $400 is the poor end of this, $1500 to $3k is where you want to be, but, life... right

For broke I've found the Howard Leights to be the best muffs, I'm still going to try the $150'ish Walkers after using and running those Howard Lights in abusive situations for 12 years or so, including coyote hunting in -20 to -40 degrees.

I've also got the $400 in-ear route, I'm going $2k or so next, done with "compromise"

Reactions: Taylorbok
    $400 is the poor end of this, $1500 to $3k is where you want to be, but, life... right

For broke I've found the Howard Leights to be the best muffs, I'm still going to try the $150'ish Walkers after using and running those Howard Lights in abusive situations for 12 years or so, including coyote hunting in -20 to -40 degrees.

I've also got the $400 in-ear route, I'm going $2k or so next, done with "compromise"
    I own the $150ish walkers, only because I got them at deep discount. They are identically built to the $100 ones, with bluetooth being the only differing feature. I own those as well, as my backups.

basically an identical product, unless you need bluetooth.

I have walker electric ear muffs but they get in the way shooting my rifle. So I use the $5 orange ear plugs with a string I also use them for work. But is there anything out there. I seen some water ear plug that are electric on sale at midway anyone run those or similar
    I have an older version of these. I think they work well. I usually use the foam ones because I don't care for the ear muff type.

I have an older version of these. I think they work well. I usually use the foam ones because I don't care for the ear muff type.

Yeah I seen those on sale. They seem like they would be nice. After reading about a few wow didn't realize how deep ear protection went haha those $5 orange ones work great but I like the idea of talking and hearing.

I took a pair of these to the hearing aid place and had them make a mold of my ear for them, work pretty well.

I normally just wear my MSA muffs though.

Reactions: greentick
    Yeah, after 35yrs of plugs talking was a little weird. I still wear plugs if I'm somewhere that I won't be talking to people.

they do make in ear electronic ear protection not sure if that would be better for you .

If you get rechargeable battery versions just understand that batteries deteriorate over time, so you'll find yourself having to buy new hearing protection entirely as they aren't replaceable batteries.

Or buy a case of hearing aid batteries for $20 and use ones with replaceable batteries until you're dead or you want a change. And you can fit that whole case worth of batteries in a thimble, the things take up no room.

I own the $150ish walkers, only because I got them at deep discount. They are identically built to the $100 ones, with bluetooth being the only differing feature. I own those as well, as my backups.

basically an identical product, unless you need bluetooth.

Whatever ones I was checking out had a feature where they'd do the normal reduction on the shot but they would also reduce echo and shit afterwards, which is a big deal for me as I shoot a 500 S&W with a compensator and a 458 Lott with a brake.

Thunderous roar when I send freedom down range, thunderous roar...
    So I wanted to see what that feature was all about...

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
    Spend the money on the Ottos. Look around, you can find them a bit cheaper. Your experience will be well worth it. The battery life and recharge case alone are worth the extra $$ over changing, and buying, hearing aid batteries. That is ancient tech and I don't know why they still try to sell it.

The Ottos are like natural hearing until the bang hits then you get superior protection. It's as close as you can get to not wearing hearing protection, yet get the benefits of hearing protection.

If you get rechargeable battery versions just understand that batteries deteriorate over time, so you'll find yourself having to buy new hearing protection entirely as they aren't replaceable batteries.

Or buy a case of hearing aid batteries for $20 and use ones with replaceable batteries until you're dead or you want a change. And you can fit that whole case worth of batteries in a thimble, the things take up no room.

Whatever ones I was checking out had a feature where they'd do the normal reduction on the shot but they would also reduce echo and shit afterwards, which is a big deal for me as I shoot a 500 S&W with a compensator and a 458 Lott with a brake.

Thunderous roar when I send freedom down range, thunderous roar...
    So I wanted to see what that feature was all about...
    There's a noise reduction that I call "clipping", I dont know what the correct name for it is, but Ive noticed that only nicer muffs do it, where after a certain DB range, it completely cuts out the sound, I imagine its the one that are dangerously loud. It likely will help with what you have in mind for your S&W 500

The walkers both have additional modes, there's conversation mode, overall gain boost, universal, and high frequency boost that vary in styles of what they tune out or amplify. I think I run mine in universal most of the time, but I also shoot outdoors.

Do the Otto’s work both indoor and outdoor. I’m hTing the way my ear muffs Interfere with my check weld plus they just get really hot in the summer. I have been looking for alternatives but not much out there. Walkers don’t seem to have good reviews. Just want to make sure when I drop $400 it’s worth it?

Do the Otto’s work both indoor and outdoor. I’m hTing the way my ear muffs Interfere with my check weld plus they just get really hot in the summer. I have been looking for alternatives but not much out there. Walkers don’t seem to have good reviews. Just want to make sure when I drop $400 it’s worth it?
    I learned when I was replacing my muffs, that the majority of the headphones Walkers sell, are the cheaper models that come in like 50 different colors and are mainly meant to compete with the cheap howard leights that everyone owned at one point.

You really have to step up to the $100 or so MSRP price point from them to get good noise reduction and low noise.

Hard to beat electronic muffs for the money. I like to double up.

Consider raising your scope so your muffs clear the stock. Also, I find that stocks with the McMillan M40/HTG or Grayboe Terrain profile allow for a cheek (or chin) weld while the back “droop” allows for earmuffs.

B5901F62-CB61-46B2-B8A2-1F835E79161F.png

I have custom fitted electronic plugs from Sound gear. My health insurance paid for it under hearing. Check your coverage. might not cost you a dime

Reactions: Schw15
    Hard to beat electronic muffs for the money. I like to double up.

Consider raising your scope so your muffs clear the stock. Also, I find that stocks with the McMillan M40/HTG or Grayboe Terrain profile allow for a cheek (or chin) weld while the back “droop” allows for earmuffs.

View attachment 7802698
    I shoot a krg Whiskey chassis but I'm going to play with the setup to see if I can get the ones I have work better. I have the walker razors but never used them because had issues

I shoot a krg Whiskey chassis but I'm going to play with the setup to see if I can get the ones I have work better. I have the walker razors but never used them because had issues
    Ah, I have a W3 too (sixth gen) and I’ve seen people modify the cheek riser to accommodate muffs. They cut the back off of the riser.

I think the way KRG made that riser is really cool.

FWIW -
    I have used Axil Sportears for several years. I bought a case of #10 batteries as they seem to last on whole day per plug. Unfortunately, I just checked their site and the price has gone up to $400. When I bought mine they were under three hundred.

Spend the money for custom inserts. It will change your religion.
    I've been in these for a while now, and couldn't be happier.

Westone DefendEar Digital DX5​

Find a local audiologist and get a price from them with the electronics, and an extra set of molded inserts for indoors, planes, kids, wife, etc.

Ah, I have a W3 too (sixth gen) and I’ve seen people modify the cheek riser to accommodate muffs. They cut the back off of the riser.

I think the way KRG made that riser is really cool.
    So i put my walker razors on made a small adjustment to my check riser ( not sure why I didn't do this to begin with haha) laid down prone and I think the set up is going to work out great. I only did it inside the house not a shooting situation but so far looking good

Reactions: carbonbased
    good advice, I wish that I would have ordered a set of molded regular plugs at the same time
    Yeah once they take the molds, it's easy. I had a "clean" set made (airplane, sleeping, wife, etc.) and a "dirty" set, (tractor, lawnmower, shop, chainsaw, etc.) and a spare for whichever one I lose first. Audiologist I worked with charged $75 per set, so it was easy math.

I have two favorites depending on what I'm doing. If I'm at the local indoor I like the Surefire Sonic Defenders. They're like $10 so I keep several sets around. On an indoor range, where there's all kinds of sounds bouncing off the walls, these are great at just killing everything. At the outdoor range, where there are no walls for sound waves to bounce off of, and no weekend warriors who want waste a $100 on a belt of SAW ammo, without a doubt my favs are the Peltor Sport Tac 500s with gel ear cups. I thought about going to the ComTacs but I don't actually need the Com part of the name and the 500s are less than half the price.

When shooting rifle, I hate the muff style ear pro. I went to a local ear doc and paid them to make a silicon mold of my ear; the silicon itself is the hearing protection. They fit snug and block out a lot more sound than the typical foam inserts. I believe these molds are commonly used for custom hearing aids, just using it for a different purpose.

I've had the same pair for 15+ years, just had to get them re-coated after a coating wore off on them. Insanely comfortable, I've worn them 10+ hours without any issues. The typical foam would hurt after a while.

Back when I got them, I paid $50. I'd expect them to cost $75-100 now. Might be worth looking into.

Walker's Disrupter Electronic Bluetooth Ear Plugs with Active Noise Cancellation (NRR 26dB) Black

Anyone use these yet?