• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing early model remington 700 trigger late 60s

mwhite

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
la
I got a remington 700 trigger that came off a late 60s BDL rifle, the safety selector switch is (shaped kinda like a L) and if i install trigger,, the kicker part hits the receiver and wont let the switch go to safety, can anyone tell me what the purpose of this does, or what gun this came off,,, i have seen other triggers that look just like this one that dont have this on the switch or it has been removed, thanks

That tail or finger is for the old bolt lock feature that has now been erased. Originally when you put the safety on it would lock the bolt so it could not be opened with the safety in the on position. This is really a dumb feature and Remington came to there senses and erased it sometime in the early 80's I believe. If your receiver doesn't have the cutout and the bolt doesn't have the cutout the safety will not work correctly. Easiest thing to do and just cut the bolt locking portion of the safety off.

This is an old style Rem 700 trigger and it sounds like the safety arm is bent. The bend happens frequently because of the long flat section of this arm.

As a note this is the trigger that has caused so many controversies with Remington triggers being 'unsafe'. The bolt is locked when the safety is engaged and so you have to take the safety off to get a round out of the chamber. If the trigger is dirty, which it frequently is as these are on old guns with years of dust and lint from gun cases and being stored in the back of a closets. If there's a bunch of crap in there sometimes the sear can't reset it's full travel leaving a smaller engagement. If a round is chambered, the safety engaged, and then the gun knocked around a little, like carrying it through the woods banging it into things and dropping and falling down, the sear can slip off and all that's holding the firing pin is the safety. Slip the safety off and the gun fires. I've seen it happen and I've bought guns off guys that it has happened to and it freaked them out.

Keep the trigger clean. Flush it out with lighter fluid. Lighter fluid cleans, protects, lubricates all that these triggers need. No oil, catches dust.

Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.

An amusing observation: The more training people have, the more likely they will point the muzzle into some kind of bullet catch device when chambering or removing a round.

I'll buy the old trigger from you. I'll even send a replacement trigger housing with payment. PM or email me if you'd like to sell it.

Thanks,

Kyle

urbancarbine at yahoo.com

I'll buy the old trigger from you. I'll even send a replacement trigger housing with payment. PM or email me if you'd like to sell it.

Thanks,

Kyle

urbancarbine at yahoo.com

kyle i believe ill keep it right now, I cut off the extended part of the safety and installed it on my rifle, so far it works good,, but i might be getting another trigger and if i do i will pm u about it.