• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Early teal season

Triggernometry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2006
Baton Rouge, LA
I don't think I'll ever get used to hunting ducks in 90+ degree weather, the clouds of mosquitos, or having to guard the dog from alligators racing her to downed birds, but I've never been accused of being completely sane. Here's a few pix from the past couple trips.

09-20-09034.jpg

09-20-09023.jpg

09-20-09037.jpg

Copyof09-08-09061.jpg

Re: Early teal season

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... having to guard the dog from alligators racing her to downed birds...</div></div>

No way! That's nuts, Trig! What do you do, pepper them with shot?

I've been lucky thus far in that the most aggressive gators are the 2-3 footers. Sunday morning my dog was swimming her way to a 50 yard retrieve when the water boiled under her. Next thing we saw was alternating gator/black lab tails rolling and splashing. She was too far for me to do anything and thankfully she won the fight for the bird without a scratch.

The water was was only about 20 inches deep in that hole and I don't send her when the big gators are passing through.

Here's a few I've crossed paths with.
02-12-09027.jpg

02-12-09025.jpg

1Dec07001-1.jpg

11-10-07006.jpg

1Dec07016.jpg

This is the kind that can wreck your day.
10Apr08008.jpg

The mosquitos are usually a bigger annoyance than gators though.
16Jan08011.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
10Apr08008.jpg
</div></div>
Yeah, F that!!! I'd be making me a pair of boots! Can you hunt the alligator? If so, hook me up!

Yes, there is a commercial and recreational hunting season for alligators. Unfortunately, the market for gator hides and meat has shit-tanked so there are very few being harvested right now. I've been trying get the state to liberalize the recreational season and allow more regular Joes the opportunity to harvest 'em, but as it stands now non-residents must hunt with a guide that has been issued tags and residents must either have exclusive access to private property or apply for limited lottery tags on public hunting areas.

Alligator Program FAQs.

It's another prime example of a critter that was once threatened/endangered that is now exploding in population. For some reason its always easier implement reducing rather than increasing harvest, regardless of what the biological data supports.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and residents must either have exclusive access to private property </div></div>

Actually, an individual with exclusive access/ownership to 5,000+ acres (with MANY gators) won't be issued a tag unless some dipshit in BR thinks it is "suitable habitat." Some guy actually told me that it had to be xxx-acres (forget the number) of Cypress/Tupelo. Good luck finding that in north LA.

Dude, I was on a teal hunt a few yrs ago down by Plaquemine and watched a yellow Labrador get eaten. Scared the everlovin heck out of me. I wont take Hunter out after seeing that until after the first freeze.

That being said, awesome pics bro!!!!!!

Makes me wish I lived in Bayou de Coonass with you, Wjwill, Dag and the gang.
laugh.gif

man, i complain about the bad duck hunting around here, but at least we aint fighting off alligators. that is just crazy. buti guess it could add to the excitement factor!!!

Interesting info matchking; not the first time I've heard of inconsistencies in their policies...and I'll leave it at that.

Most call me crazy for going through all that for a few teal, but I haven't started talking to critters or plants like Rudder makes people do. I'll keep doing it til it kills me or we kill it.

Here's a few more pix from this morning.
09-24-09003.jpg

09-24-09004.jpg

09-24-09009.jpg

Copyof09-24-09012.jpg

nothin like working over a good dog. your pic really captures the "look" they get when out hunting/loving what we do.intresting having to use duck eyes and alligator eyes. all we watch out for are ice or harbor seals when on the ocean. just waiting on my stamp to come.(real lick and sticks come from D.C.)

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's hard to put into words the feeling you get watching a young pup flawlessly handle anything put in front of her. For those who understand, no explanation is needed and for those who do not, none is possible.

Here's pix from yesterday, the last day of the season. We're heading a couple thousand miles north in 2 weeks for some bigger birds and cooler weather. Will try to share a few pix from that adventure.
09-27-09005.jpg

09-27-09006.jpg

09-27-09010.jpg

09-27-09012.jpg

Great looking hunts Trig, we have been smakn the bluewingers here as well and gator season coincides, check out the one we wacked sat on this forum.

first week we limited on blue wingers fairly easy with 6 guns and 24 birds on four hunts then it fizzled out to 1/2 limits.

Teal hunting is a no go here for dogs unless you are just wanting to lessen the monthly dog food bill. Very rarely do we see the two footers most common are 9-11s that eat the two footers.

Good looking pup, my friend. May you have many,many blissful days in the duck blind! My old yellow lab, "Bo" is now 13 and last year was his last. These pix tug at me to get another one as I have, for the first time in my life, joined a duck club. Can't fight off the "runner" at my age on the public refuges.
side note: real good friend and HARD core duck hunter move to Louisianny and reported back something of "Holy shit. Thousands and thousands of ducks...millions of 'gators and water moccasins? Screw this shit. I'm outta here." Got another job and moved back. LOL

I'll never complain about having to walk a mile to get to the pond again. At least I don't have to worry about me or the dog gettin 'et for bfst.

Great pix. Thanks for sharing.
sigh..........

Ha, I know what you mean about being a "runner" in CA. I PI'd a project out there last fall that had me up and down the Sacramento and Central Valleys from Sutter Butte down to the Salton Sea. I sat in many sweat lines on public hunting areas. The 7 bird/107 day season was sure enticing though!

PS: I picked up the gal in the pix near your neck of the woods. Drop me a note if you'd like contact info for the breeder and good luck with the search for a pup and the new club.

Trig ur makn me jealous!!!!!!! I retired my lab last season cause it is just too much for him now at 12. Lots of good memories from the blind with him and you definately got it right for those who know you have to explain nothing. Good hunting and will you guys tell those oversized pair of boots that are now coming up river to stay at home. We are seeing them way to far north now during duck season!