• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

easiest/cheapest way to mount a scope to tripod/arca?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
If you wanted to use an extra rifle scope as a spotting scope on an arca plate/Anvil head... what would you use?

I have a scope in a NF unimount I'd like to try as a spotting scope on an Anvil head.

Any cheap/easy way to do this? Not sure it'll be better than just mounting a rifle but not all my rifles have sufficient X and I may wish to use it in a public place where a mounted rifle would result in undue pearl clutching.

I wonder if the eye relief will be an issue without a cheekpiece to stabilize.

Don't use a spotter often enough to drop $ on proper binos and don't require a 40x+ mag spotter.

Thoughts?

something like this would work (upside down),

41wRUT9aDTL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Reactions: pineoak
If you wanted to use an extra rifle scope as a spotting scope on an arca plate/Anvil head... what would you use?

I have a scope in a NF unimount I'd like to try as a spotting scope on an Anvil head.

Any cheap/easy way to do this? Not sure it'll be better than just mounting a rifle but not all my rifles have sufficient X and I may wish to use it in a public place where a mounted rifle would result in undue pearl clutching.

I wonder if the eye relief will be an issue without a cheekpiece to stabilize.

Don't use a spotter often enough to drop $ on proper binos and don't require a 40x+ mag spotter.

Thoughts?
I just did exactly that this week to try out my new 7-35X ATACR.

I had an ARCA plate lying around (cheap on Amazon or similar if you dont) and a piece of Picatinney rail. The Arca Swiss rail I have has a small "nub" where a hole on the picatinney can seat onto, then bolt the other end of the pic to the plate and its solid.

I found it worked great, the best results for me came when (either with the 7-35X or the regular spotter that usually lives on there) I got the scope to the area I wanted to observe and then look through it without touching / holding it anywhere. Last time I was at the range this let me see trace easily.

IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5792.jpg

Reactions: pineoak