• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Easiest Way to Tell If a Bolt Action is Trued

Re: Easiest Way to Tell If a Bolt Action is Trued

Does it have the stock barrel? If the barrel has been replaced most would blueprint the action while doing so. Are your lugs getting 100% contact on both?

Kc

The only real way to tell is take it apart.

But there are usually key signs of a blueprint job:

- Bolt face has been cut (should have a circular step/shoulder). although the face might measure true without a cut.
- Finish on the reciever and bolt is not the factory finish. although you can re-park/paint a factory rifle.
- Bolt lugs show similar/full engagement wear. although the ejector tends to put uneven pressure and cause unequal wear.
- A non factory barrel installation. although you can barrel up a non-blueprinted action the same way.

If the rifle shoots good enough for you, go for it. Most gunsmiths will double check and probably redo the blueprint upon rebarrel anyway, everybody does things differently and doesn't trust each others work (a good thing).

Ern

Another point to check - if the action is trued - more likely than not, the lug will be changed - usually to an aftermarket so it is usually thicker than a standard lug. Though much rarer these days - some will true the factory lug - in which case it will be thinner than normal.

Bolt face

Internal action lugs

Action internal threads

BBL tenon OD!

One thing to note that's often overlooked/underscored/ignored:

Primary extraction. On a remmy its already anemic. Every cut taken on a lug (bolt/receiver) affects it and reduces it. It also alters the timing of the fire control and how it loads on the trigger.

Unless the person "redoing" it addresses it, you ultimately end up losing/paying for it once a case decides to be stubborn.

Just something to consider.

You say it shoots "pretty darn good" so if you are happy with how it shoots does it matter if it was trued.

Do you know who the 'smith was who did the work, if it was rebarreled the name of the 'smith should be engraved on the barrel. Call the 'smith if you can figure out who it is and describe the gun and serial number and he may have a note card on the gun or remember it without checking. He should be able to tell you what was done to the gun when it was in hos shop. Granted it may have beed trued by someone else before he rebarreld it.

You will never have to ask whether the action was trued if you buy a custom action like Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, and many others

Barreled Action $850
Stock with Adj. Cheek and LOP $750
Badger M5 DBM w/ Mag. $330
20 MOA Rail $100
Bolt Knob $30
Trigger $75
Smith Work at least $300 if it's not a trued up action which I think it is.

Total $2435?

I'd let it go for $2100 shipped?

The pictures aren't the best but it's a typical McMillan A5 Black and Green and a rifle that you couldn't tell has been anywhere but a safe. Otherwise it's in like new condition.

Since this is not a for sale thread...first, it is highly unlikely that some one screwed a stock barrel back on after truing the action. Second, you will NEVER see $2100 for that rig, in the present market, more like $1600-1700.

Scout not only are you a General Nuisance you are an asshole. By the look of your previous posts you make it a habit of shitting on peoples threads. Go back to your trailer and mind your own business. You have no manners and have added nothing constructive. The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up and $2100 is a fair price. I didn't post it here for sale but someone inquired.

The serial number alone would be enough for me to keep looking somewhere else. Just my opinion.

Its gonna be worth more in parts. The factory barrel is a give away to me. If it were trued, the tendon threads would be too small to be safe. I would break it down for most return.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout not only are you a General Nuisance you are an asshole. By the look of your previous posts you make it a habit of shitting on peoples threads. Go back to your trailer and mind your own business. You have no manners and have added nothing constructive. The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up and $2100 is a fair price. I didn't post it here for sale but someone inquired. </div></div>

Wow...such hostility. Good luck with your sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up</div></div>Maybe in California.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout not only are you a General Nuisance you are an asshole. By the look of your previous posts you make it a habit of shitting on peoples threads. Go back to your trailer and mind your own business. You have no manners and have added nothing constructive. The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up and $2100 is a fair price. I didn't post it here for sale but someone inquired. </div></div>

Wow...such hostility. Good luck with your sale. </div></div>

Wow.....such an asshole. While I respect that you have your opinion you should respect that shitting on other peoples threads is not where it belongs. Now go curl up to your brother in your trailer and piss off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The serial number alone would be enough for me to keep looking somewhere else. Just my opinion. </div></div>

??? Please enlighten me as to why you say that. Once again I don't understand why anyone would air out an issue that would be better dealt with via PM's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout not only are you a General Nuisance you are an asshole. By the look of your previous posts you make it a habit of shitting on peoples threads. Go back to your trailer and mind your own business. You have no manners and have added nothing constructive. The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up and $2100 is a fair price. I didn't post it here for sale but someone inquired. </div></div>

Wow...such hostility. Good luck with your sale. </div></div>

Wow.....such an asshole. While I respect that you have your opinion you should respect that shitting on other peoples threads is not where it belongs. Now go curl up to your brother in your trailer and piss off. </div></div>

I think you got your feelings hurt by his direct answer. The fact is, he is pretty dang close to reality. You have a nice factory $600 barreled action with a stock and DBM.

Answer to what? There never was a question posed to him about pricing. He is and was out of line. I broke out the pricing earlier in the thread and even if you could get a barreled remington action for $600, which I don't think you could get one like this one for that put's me at $2185 new.

What he did and the way he did it was COMPLETELY out of line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up</div></div>Maybe in California.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

How much can you get it done in Michigan for? Please break it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The serial number alone would be enough for me to keep looking somewhere else. Just my opinion. </div></div>

??? Please enlighten me as to why you say that. Once again I don't understand why anyone would air out an issue that would be better dealt with via PM's. </div></div>

I believe he is referring to the serial number beginning with the number of the beast '666'. I don't know if he was serious or just pointing out an oddity.

Something you might look for to tell if it has had work done to the action is to look for metal in the white on the face of the action behind the recoil lug. The factory finishes the actions after assembly. So, any work done after that would remove the original finish in that area. All of that is moot if the barreled action has been refinish after any work was done.

Uncontrolled rage issues coupled with incest homoerotic fantasies...you have have way bigger problems than someone pointing out that your polished turd is overpriced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something you might look for to tell if it has had work done to the action is to look for metal in the white on the face of the action behind the recoil lug. The factory finishes the actions after assembly.</div></div>

One can also look for any freshly-exposed metal along the barrel tenon threads. On the few actions that I've trued, I usually end up plunging deep enough to leave a bit of bare metal that is visible after barrel installation. This can be observed by looking through the ejection port toward the bottom of the action, ahead of the feed ramp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be the easiest way for a layman to tell if a Remington 700 308 action has been trued if you have no history of the gun? </div></div>

Since you posted photos:

I'd venture to guess that no, it's not been touched. I base this on the photos showing the fit between barrel/receiver. It appears that the factory finish has been preserved. We all like to think as gunsmiths that we have divine power to never put a mark on an action/barrel. The truth is often the polar opposite though. Machining an action requires fixturing and it has to be rigid. This means clamping pressure. There'd be brass marks from the shoes or vice marks, something/anything.

Also, chances are the factory barrel would not have been reused. The thread fit wouldn't allow it. Not to mention that it would never clock in the same position again. Especially if the face of the receiver was cut, grinding the recoil lug, etc.

The only exception to this is if a guy used a differential threading insert. -something rarely done/understood by most and almost exclusive to the BR crowd.

I think you have a factory barreled action stuffed into a nice stock. Treat it for what it is, shoot the snot out of it, enjoy it, and decide what to do once the barrel's cooked.

Last-

It's a "G" series receiver. I've worked on a lot of these. (prolly close to or slightly over 100) The G series responds well to some work. The scope base holes are known to be a little jiggy and the receiver ring/threads aren't exactly "jonny on the spot". This was validated by a neighbor that had a contract installing "lugged" (clip slotted) bases on these actions. They had a hell of a time with them until they punched them out to 8-40.

Like I said, treat it for what it is, then decide if you want to keep it and invest in making it better next time around.

Good luck.

C.

If you're sure the barrel is factory, then the action was not trued using the single point cutting of the factory action threads. How can you really tell if this was done?? Pull the barrel and measure the tenon diameter on the barrel. It should be bigger than 1.062.

BTW, tripleelectric is really good people with no issues other than he won't stand for anyone going out of their way to intentionally screw him. Just a good quality more men should have. I don't blame him for getting pissed, and being defensive. Aren't we all proud Americans that wont let another country screw with us?? Then how about we show a little respect for one another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up</div></div>Maybe in California.
laugh.gif
</div></div>How much can you get it done in Michigan for? Please break it down. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you got your feelings hurt by his direct answer. The fact is, he is pretty dang close to reality. You have a nice factory $600 barreled action with a stock and DBM. </div></div>The barreled action is worth less than that, but Chad nailed it.

Used factory barreled action: $499
Stock with the least desireable cheek piece $650
DBM $350
Base $100
You have a $1600 rifle.

- Pretty sure the factory proof mark stamped in the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug and under the base closes any debate as to whether or not its a factory barrel.

photo3.jpg

And these are the days of our lives...... Yet again folks squabble at each other like a couple of old hens. I wonder if Jerry Springer is a member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle would have cost a minimum of $2400 to put together without being trued up</div></div>Maybe in California.
laugh.gif
</div></div>How much can you get it done in Michigan for? Please break it down. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you got your feelings hurt by his direct answer. The fact is, he is pretty dang close to reality. You have a nice factory $600 barreled action with a stock and DBM. </div></div>The barreled action is worth less than that, but Chad nailed it.

Used factory barreled action: $499
Stock with the least desireable cheek piece $650
DBM $350
Base $100
You have a $1600 rifle.
</div></div>

I was trying to be nice.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you posted photos:

I'd venture to guess that no, it's not been touched. I base this on the photos showing the fit between barrel/receiver. It appears that the factory finish has been preserved. We all like to think as gunsmiths that we have divine power to never put a mark on an action/barrel. The truth is often the polar opposite though. Machining an action requires fixturing and it has to be rigid. This means clamping pressure. There'd be brass marks from the shoes or vice marks, something/anything.

Also, chances are the factory barrel would not have been reused. The thread fit wouldn't allow it. Not to mention that it would never clock in the same position again. Especially if the face of the receiver was cut, grinding the recoil lug, etc.

The only exception to this is if a guy used a differential threading insert. -something rarely done/understood by most and almost exclusive to the BR crowd.

I think you have a factory barreled action stuffed into a nice stock. Treat it for what it is, shoot the snot out of it, enjoy it, and decide what to do once the barrel's cooked.

C. </div></div>

Chad, I agree that it is more likely this B/A probably hasn't been messed with, but to play devil's advocate just for arguments sake:

1. Marks on the receiver - a smith could have blasted/reparked the B/A after cutting metal, restoring the mark-free finish

2. Re-timing the marks on the barrel - Someone could have certainly cut several threads off the tenon, remachined the shoulder to time the marks appropriately, then rechambered. In fact, I believe Mark Gordon offers a tune-up package for Remingtons where he does this.

3. Thread fit - Not all smiths can, or even care to achieve the thread-fit that I know you achieve. It is possible the receiver was trued, and the tenon now fits [more] sloppily than it did from Remington.

Break it down and take some measurements....Just by looking I would say no....On a another note if you ever want to get rid of the action hit me up....

It's a 2011 production 26'' Police gun with some accessories- just so the OP is aware.

I was going to say a 5R with black cerakote but then, there is no cerakote on the action so it has to be a Police. 1600 bucks max. You could throw up some targets for us to look at as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout not only are you a General Nuisance you are an asshole. By the look of your previous posts you make it a habit of shitting on peoples threads. Go back to your trailer and mind your own business. You have no manners and have added nothing constructive. ...</div></div>
In my notes from 2.5 years ago, Scout was doing the same thing.
Expect more of the same, step around the poop on the trail.

I think there is value is some of his posts, just don't expect the demeanor of a happy educated gentleman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uncontrolled rage issues coupled with incest homoerotic fantasies...you have have way bigger problems than someone pointing out that your polished turd is overpriced.

</div></div>

Rude behavior helps no one.

[/quote]

Chad, I agree that it is more likely this B/A probably hasn't been messed with, but to play devil's advocate just for arguments sake:

1. Marks on the receiver - a smith could have blasted/reparked the B/A after cutting metal, restoring the mark-free finish

2. Re-timing the marks on the barrel - Someone could have certainly cut several threads off the tenon, remachined the shoulder to time the marks appropriately, then rechambered. In fact, I believe Mark Gordon offers a tune-up package for Remingtons where he does this.

3. Thread fit - Not all smiths can, or even care to achieve the thread-fit that I know you achieve. It is possible the receiver was trued, and the tenon now fits [more] sloppily than it did from Remington.

[/quote]

for one; no smith would keep a factory barrel on a gun and go thru the work of re-parkarizing it so it is purty.

two; re-chambering a 308 factory barrel with a match 308 reamer would require removing darn near every thread to clean up the entire chamber. Remingtons chambers are so crooked and oversized that to get a straight match chamber you need to remove at least 3/4" of barrel. I know I've done it and will never waste the time again. And the fact that several thread set-back would remove the proof marks.

three; any smith who would re-thread single point an action doing a full critical surface clean-up would cringe at the idea of screwing on the factory tube with shity thread fit.

you have a well oiled up, factory barreled action, with the price of oil what it is ...mmmm.... worth about a $1.99 more than new.