• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

East TX first time shooter

ETXbeginner

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2020
East Texas
Grew up in a hunting/fishing family but that was the extent of any shooting we did. Sight in the old deer rifle with a 3-9 Bushnell once before season, that’s it. I’m in college and have done a lot to research/learn from forums and a gunsmith I have befriended. Recently bought my first setup to get into longer range (1000 yard maximum). It’s a Remington 700 Long Range Stainless in 6.5 cm I picked up for $800 including a Warne scope rail. Bought a “used” Vortex Viper PST gen ii 5-25 from my gunsmith. Scope appears to be unused, all turrets and adjustments are very tight and it included a bubble level. For $500 I got the scope, rings, bubble level, and he mounted it level and bore sighted it. Trigger is too heavy, even after having him adjust it but at least very crisp and no creep. He said he could put a Timney HIT in for $210. Haven’t ordered a case of ammo yet, still figuring out what factory loads it likes (so far Hornady match 140gr). Definitely not a show stopping setup but as a college student working part time it was a big investment. Any feedback on this setup or recommendations are welcomed and much appreciated. Loving the hide so far, lots to learn and I’m looking forward to being a part of the community.

Welcome to the Sniper’s Hide community...once you get started it just goes on and on. Check it all out, there is a ton of knowledge here in threads and members. From SC. 🤙

Reactions: DustBun
I don’t know a lot but sounds like a great setup to start especially being in college you probably hear that here from other I’d expect. 🤙

Reactions: ETXbeginner
Welcome from Ocala, FL and congrats on the new rig. There is a lot of knowledge here. You may also want to look at the on-line training. Worth every penny. The problem I have is that the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. Best wishes.

Edit: Replaced typo.

Last edited:
Welcome from the DFW area. Check out Triple C shooting range. Also try the Hornady Black/ American Gunner. I was able to hit steel targets with my RPR out to 1500yds. Also had the PST gen 2 on it.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
Thanks for the input. I ran one box of the 140gr hornady blacks through it but it was primarily for barrel break in so accuracy was inconsistent after cleaning between shots. I have noticed the hornady match eldm seem to shoot relatively clean and the 140 and 147 have almost the same zero at 100 yards. The American gunner looks to be a good load too.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
I don’t know a lot but sounds like a great setup to start especially being in college you probably hear that here from other I’d expect. 🤙
Yeah I started buying guns when I turned 18 a few years ago. Started out with a few basic things every young guy buys, cheap ar’s, glocks I never use, hunting rifles. I finally decided I’d have one dedicated hunting rifle and dive into target shooting. I have a matching Remington 700 long range I just picked up on trade that should help get me out past 1000 yards when the time comes.

Reactions: Zorrosdens
Very nice, I started with my first gun late in life. I’m an “old” guy, probably about 4-5 years ago, started with a Dan Wesson Valor 5” 45 Black, then to his ECO 3.5” 45 Black for carry (both of those are 1911’s), then current near ready to start shooting with LMT MWS 308 16” Chrome Barrel, Spuhr Mount, ZCO 527, waiting on Aadmount Flip Caps, then I’ll cut the Pelican Case. That’s when I’ll start getting rounds in it. It’s all been a process. Enjoy your time here lots to see, learn, and soak in. You’ll get the lay of the land, it’ll all fall in place. 🤙

Last edited:
I just want to say what everyone here is afraid to say to you....

you’re screwed!

you have just started down the path that will cost you an untold Amounts of money, prevent you from having relationships with those you care about, to buy more safes than you can possibly imagine to store the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of firearms and ammunition you’ll eventually own....

welcome to the dark side... 😂

Yep, that’s right...I know the number my “rifle alone” setup cost me and my own response is “ WHAAAT, that’s crazy!....one rifle! Man oh man.” I’ll leave part out😏😏.