• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Easy test to show your PLRF beam size test and placement.

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    Not a lot to say here. But the topic of knowing if your reticle is lined up with the IR beam and or testing the Beam Size comes up often.

Simply knowing the spec'd beam size, draw or use a grid that represents the expected beam size at your test distance. I usually just use about 25 yards. Expect the reticle to be slightly offset when used so closely. Same issue as scope over bore.

Using NV, simply look at the IR light.. Here you can see that I marked expected 1.2x.5mil beam in black.. The blinking light is the Lecia 2700B in scan mode.

Most PLRFs are NV visible -- a few specific ones are not. Normally the PLRF's beam is brighter looking, but I had a lot of other IR stuff going on (long story) really bleaching the image. Image from my PCP pest control device.

Edited to add: if you don’t have NV you can use $39 WiFi with IR security camera found on Amazon with the free app. Plus you can use it for other things.

Last edited:
    I’m guessing you used something like a PVS14 behind the rangefinder? I’ve only got a PVS30, wonder if I can make it work for this?

No just use your PVS as you normally do. A lot of range finders aren’t NV ready.

But no need to look thru the PLRF; just look at the target. (That also how you can use a cheapo security camera).

Set the PLRF up on a tripod and light the target with a flash light or in the twilight. Once the reticle is set, either turn off the backyard light, flash light car lights, whatever you used to uliminate the target and just press the rangefinger while looking at the target with NV or the security cam in night mode.