• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ebay Ripoff?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
I'm just curious if any of you have been ripped off on Ebay and how it went resolving the problem.

I recently came across one of those "too good to be true" deals on ebay and based on the sellers 100% positive feedback over almost 900 sales transactions (mostly $500-1000 sales) I decided to give it a shot. Well, now I'm wishing I hadn't.

The item was a welder that usually sells for around $3700. He sold 4 of them for between $2150-2400 depending on how the auction went, I paid $2250 for mine. I did a "buy it now" and paid through paypal. On the 25th the seller sent me a tracking # and said it would go out the next day. On the 27th he responded to an email I'd sent him saying that it got delayed due to weather keeping him from getting to the UPS store previously, but that he dropped it off that night and it will start tracking on the 28th. I have sent 2 more emails to the guy that have gone unanswered and UPS has no record of it being shipped, just a shipping label generated. I try to get hold of him through ebay and notice that he has 3 negative feedbacks from the last 24 hours. 2 of them claim he sent them a box with some old xmas lights in it instead of an automatic gate opener and a portable honda generator. The other one is like mine where he hasn't shipped for 9 days and no communication. They guy seems to sell mostly tankless water heaters, but has sold welders, plasma cutters, gate openers and such in the past pretty regular and with good feedback.

Something just isn't right and I am about to try to pursue this. Anyone on here ever have any luck with resolving a situation like this through ebay or paypal? Any suggestions?

p.s. UPS will not give much helpful information on where this thing is shipping from. Only thing they'll say is that it's from C and C wholesale and Tennessee. Only C and C whole sale I'm finding in TN doesn't really add up to being the same guy.

Re: Ebay Ripoff?

Ebay is crap shoot now, with their very liberal feedback policy. It used to mean something, but theyve made it easy for a lowlife to sport good feedback regardless of how many theyve screwed.

You need to contact PayPal and start a claim. I had one bad deal on Ebay where I bought something and what was sent was not what it was advertised as. Print and save all of your emails both to and from as well as your PayPal transaction. Having printed copies as well as the computer record may come in handy. PayPal will credit you and debit him. The proof of delivery is on the seller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A buddy of mine got scammed by a guy on ebay. Long story short, a detective working a fraud case on the ebay seller contacted my buddy out of the blue. The detective was local to the seller. So you might try contacting a detective wherever this seller is located depending on how things pan out. Not sure how paypal works these days, I left them long ago, but maybe your bank can stop the payment?</div></div>

I'd like to find out where local is to the seller, but only thing I've found is that he's supposed to be from TN. It's probably best I don't find out an exact address if it turns out he did screw me out of $2250, we may both end up in jail.

Start the process with the resolution center. Document all of your correspondence. If you payed and didn't get anything paypal will refund your money.

Immediately start a paypal claim and dispute through ebay. If he's on the up and up you can cancel them. If he isn't CYA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to contact PayPal and start a claim. </div></div>

Immediatley

If you used your credit card, contact them, and fill out the dispute form on Paypal. Always remember this, even if paypal/ebay doesn't got to bat for you. Your credit card company always will. I have had 2 disputes with paypal, and both refunded my money. Just be very descriptive in your write up for the dispute, and keep on top of it. If I use paypal, I always pay using credit card. 2 reasons: I like the added points, and if anyone tries fucking me over, the card company is always in your corner. GL

Hope you used something other than PAYPAL......BOHICA

If check or credit card....cancel the payment!

Note: Not all sellers accept questions before you buy an item, but all sellers will accept questions after you've bought an item.

Contacting the seller

If your item is taking longer to reach you than you expected, you can contact your seller and ask about the shipment. The seller's email address is on the email you received after the listing ended and is also available by clicking the seller's user ID on the item page.

You can request contact information for any member with whom you are involved in a transaction.

To request your seller's contact information:

Click the Advanced Search link at the top of most pages.

Click the Find Contact Information link under Members on the left side of the page.

Enter the seller's user ID and the item number.

Click the Search button.After you've won an item, we'll also send you an email with the seller's email address.

If you've tried contacting the seller by email but haven't received a response, you can request the seller's phone number and call them.

Note: Buyers can only obtain a seller's contact information if they bid on or buy one of the seller's items. Sellers can only obtain the contact information of bidders or buyers on their listings.

Above from e-bay. Just go direct to the phone number request.

i was scammed for about 1000$ on ebay about 2 years ago.
another to good to be true deal. what ended up happening was they sent me an empty box with a label from ups that said it weighed 80lbs.

the deal with paypal / ebay is.... you are pretty well guaranteed to get your money back through them in a dispute IF the seller cant provide a tracking number for the package sent to you. if they provide a tracking number with a signed receipt, you lose WHETHER THERE IS ANYTHING IN THE BOX OR NOT!

i think if you dispute the condition/serviceability of the item, its 50/50 getting your money back.

thankfully only 200$ of the 1000$ was from my paypal balance and the rest was on a credit card. i did a charge back through the credit card and after jumping through all their hoops, i did get 800$ back out of the deal.

otherwise you are pretty much screwed unless the guy has screwed a bunch of people then ebay reports this to local authorities. apparently the guy that screwed me also screwed about 10 other people for the same thing on 2 different accounts.
never did hear if they caught up with the guy or what.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was scammed for about 1000$ on ebay about 2 years ago.
another to good to be true deal. what ended up happening was they sent me an empty box with a label from ups that said it weighed 80lbs.

the deal with paypal / ebay is.... you are pretty well guaranteed to get your money back through them in a dispute IF the seller cant provide a tracking number for the package sent to you. if they provide a tracking number with a signed receipt, you lose WHETHER THERE IS ANYTHING IN THE BOX OR NOT!

i think if you dispute the condition/serviceability of the item, its 50/50 getting your money back.

thankfully only 200$ of the 1000$ was from my paypal balance and the rest was on a credit card. i did a charge back through the credit card and after jumping through all their hoops, i did get 800$ back out of the deal.

otherwise you are pretty much screwed unless the guy has screwed a bunch of people then ebay reports this to local authorities. apparently the guy that screwed me also screwed about 10 other people for the same thing on 2 different accounts.

</div></div>

There is a tracking #, but it only shows that a shipping label has been generated and nothing has been received by UPS yet.

I just called Paypal, they routed me to Ebay and they told me it was too early to file a claim. I was told to call back on the 5th if no progress is made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note: Not all sellers accept questions before you buy an item, but all sellers will accept questions after you've bought an item.

Contacting the seller

If your item is taking longer to reach you than you expected, you can contact your seller and ask about the shipment. The seller's email address is on the email you received after the listing ended and is also available by clicking the seller's user ID on the item page.

You can request contact information for any member with whom you are involved in a transaction.

Click the Find Contact Information link under Members on the left side of the page.

Click the Search button.After you've won an item, we'll also send you an email with the seller's email address.

If you've tried contacting the seller by email but haven't received a response, you can request the seller's phone number and call them.

Note: Buyers can only obtain a seller's contact information if they bid on or buy one of the seller's items. Sellers can only obtain the contact information of bidders or buyers on their listings.

Above from e-bay. Just go direct to the phone number request.</div></div>

Thanks!!

I just got the guys information and tried calling his number. It's a cell phone that didn't get answered and the voice mail was full. Imagine that.

Anyone know a Carson Cameron form White Pine, TN?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was scammed for about 1000$ on ebay about 2 years ago.

</div></div>

There is a tracking #, but it only shows that a shipping label has been generated and nothing has been received by UPS yet.

I just called Paypal, they routed me to Ebay and they told me it was too early to file a claim. I was told to call back on the 5th if no progress is made. </div></div>

got ya.
you should be gtg with the paypal resolution as long as there is no proof of delivery (in my case, it was the empty box, and signature via UPS)

You have to file a claim with paypal within a certain amount of days. If you are 1 day late, paypal will tell you too bad so sad..

I disputed a deal gone bad with Paypal one time to no avail so I just moved to my Credit Card company to dispute the charge and shortly after they contacted Paypal my money was magically refunded to me . Kind of funny how that works .

You pay a ton of interest to your CC company , its their job to go to bat for you .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disputed a deal gone bad with Paypal one time to no avail so I just moved to my Credit Card company to dispute the charge and shortly after they contacted Paypal my money was magically refunded to me . Kind of funny how that works .

You pay a ton of interest to your CC company , its their job to go to bat for you .</div></div>

Unfortunately I have my paypal set up through my bank account. I don't have and never have had a credit card, just a debit card. This is one of those times I wish I wasn't so stubborn and gotten a credit card.

I was contacted by another person who was ripped off by this guy and he and some others have the police looking into things. I sent my information to the detective and hope to hear back from him tomorrow or the next day. Just in welders this guy has ripped folks off of around 10 grand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given what he is selling, sounds like hitting Home Improvement stores and then selling on Ebay. What was the Mfg of the welder?</div></div>

Lincoln Power Mig 350MP, not really something that you'd find at the Home Depot but he had sold some Lincoln 180 machines in the past that would be a more consumer grade machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note: Not all sellers accept questions before you buy an item, but all sellers will accept questions after you've bought an item.

Contacting the seller

Above from e-bay. Just go direct to the phone number request.</div></div>

Thanks!!

I just got the guys information and tried calling his number. It's a cell phone that didn't get answered and the voice mail was full. Imagine that.

Anyone know a Carson Cameron form White Pine, TN? </div></div>

I would start here, they seem to have everyone's info.

http://www.spokeo.com/

I've since gotten a PM both on here and ebay with the guys information, only problem is he isn't answering the phone.

You might want to contact LE and make a report there as well. Have you gotten his addy yet?

Thread is already starting to hit the Webcrawls... snipershide is showing up as a peekyou.

Yep..180's are consumer grade, offered everywhere. I'll talk to my Lincoln guy tomorrow and see what he has in Jefferson County and if he knows of any shenananghans.... 350's are some big boys ... i'll see if I can find out who deals them in that area and work the mfg side on in.

Hope things work out bro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootist68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to contact LE and make a report there as well. Have you gotten his addy yet?</div></div>

I was just contacted by a Detective that is working on the case, he said a TON of people got scammed by this person. I've got an address and phone number but both of them are BS. The only phone number that got answered was some poor woman that said she's been bombarded with people looking for this guy and she's filed a report herself. The other number I have is a cell phone that nobody will answer and the voice mail is full.

The detective asked me if I could get an IP address from the little I received from this guy.......that sounds like something ebay would have to do, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thread is already starting to hit the Webcrawls... snipershide is showing up as a peekyou.

Yep..180's are consumer grade, offered everywhere. I'll talk to my Lincoln guy tomorrow and see what he has in Jefferson County and if he knows of any shenananghans.... 350's are some big boys ... i'll see if I can find out who deals them in that area and work the mfg side on in.

Hope things work out bro. </div></div>

Thanks! 95% of what this seller sells is tankless water heaters, he's sold hundreds of them. He has sold some welding/plasma cutting equipment in the past with good feed back also, I just don't see how they go together, but if they do it should be pretty obvious once he's found.

Yep I would hope there is no package(empty)in the mail as I have been screwed by that move before. If nothing was sent though I doubt you'll have a problem with paypal refunding, it might take awhile though.

Wow... This is why I totally stay away from eBay. Couple months ago a friend of mine ordered two iPads through eBay. One showed up, other box had a bag of sand. Seller blamed the mail system and his CC is handling it now.

Shit post a name, some of the guys on here are real jackals when it comes to information. I.E see the thread about Trey Sprinkle.

That thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit post a name, some of the guys on here are real jackals when it comes to information. I.E see the thread about Trey Sprinkle.

That thread </div></div>

It's posted above, Carson C., and you are right about that!! I had a few PM's with some good information in no time at all. Turns out the address that the Detective was told didn't exist actually does exist and the tag in the driveway comes back with this guys name on it. I got in contact with a seller who he bought from back in November and was able to confirm the addy, the package this lady sent him had tracking on it and was confirmed to have been delivered to the address. Detective took a drive this morning and found the house, ran the plates and pulled up some information on him, not quite an upstanding citizen.

My claim with paypal is what I'm concerned with, they assure me I'll either get my merchandise or my money and will know within 10 days. I just don't have much faith in them handing it over out of their pockets when this scum takes off with an empty bank account. We'll see? If I could choose between this sob going to jail and me getting my money back, I'd probably just look at it as an investment, but would prefer both. According to the detective, paypal isn't being too cooperative. I imagine if they have to start shelling out tens of thousands of their money then they'll start becoming more helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thread is already starting to hit the Webcrawls... snipershide is showing up as a peekyou.

Hope things work out bro. </div></div>

And if your lincoln guy knows where I can get a legit deal on one it looks like I might be back on the market looking in a few weeks, if I get my money back!!
laugh.gif
Thanks Bro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to contact PayPal and start a claim. I had one bad deal on Ebay where I bought something and what was sent was not what it was advertised as. Print and save all of your emails both to and from as well as your PayPal transaction. Having printed copies as well as the computer record may come in handy. PayPal will credit you and debit him. The proof of delivery is on the seller. </div></div>

+1; this procedure worked for me last spring.

If your not just set completely on a Limcoln, I have a Miller XMT 350 CC/CV with maybe 2 hours of runtime on it at the most.

If you do receive a package from this scumbag, insist that it be opened and checked for damage before you sign the release. If they refuse, hand the empty box back to them and tell them to return it to the sender as undeliverable. Refuse to sign anything.

Jerry

Talked to him today about looking into that part of the country. He is going to see if there are/were any "rings" or less than upstanding citizens involved in any recent activities. He is going to get back to me tomorrow. (The thought of a 350 at that price is enough for them to look into it...)

By all means, let me know if you are still in the market. PM me and we can see what we come up with. Can't get to $2400 range .. but I can get very reasonable and with piece of mind!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit post a name, some of the guys on here are real jackals when it comes to information. I.E see the thread about Trey Sprinkle.

That thread </div></div>

Dang... Reading that thread would make Chuck Norris afraid of messing with the fine folks on the Hide. (Of course, Chuck cannot be afraid; but everyone else should take heed!)

I got hosed by paypal two weeks ago. I sold a knife on ebay and shipped it to the address given to me by paypal. Long story short the guy who bought the knife no longer lived there and failed to update his address before I shipped. The new tennant of the apartment took delivery. The guy never got his knife, started a claim and I furnished him and paypal the tracking# and a copy of the email from paypal showing the address to where it would be shipped. After a month and a half of their so called investigation they sided in his favor even though I sent it to the address furnished me and had a ups tracking #. Also it it extremely hard to get information to them regarding a case, never was able to talk to anyone. I lost the knife and $450. UPS said even though it was insured it was delivered to the address given them. Paypal and ebay suck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgj2025</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your not just set completely on a Limcoln, I have a Miller XMT 350 CC/CV with maybe 2 hours of runtime on it at the most. </div></div>

I'm not dead set on the lincoln, it just had all the feature I was looking for in one package. Really I'm wanting to get my hands on som pulse mig and pulse on pulse to see what that's all about. My goal in all this is to buy my last mig machine first and have something that will be good with aluminum. I'm wanting to build my own mud boat. I'm going to shoot you a pm here in a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911Jerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do receive a package from this scumbag, insist that it be opened and checked for damage before you sign the release. If they refuse, hand the empty box back to them and tell them to return it to the sender as undeliverable. Refuse to sign anything.

Jerry</div></div>

If this guy sends me anything the box wont get opened without having the UPS standing right there in front of me. 2 people that left feedback on this guy in the last 2 days received a box with old Christmas lights. The fact that the tracking # he sent me indicates the box weighs 40 pound tells me that if something is sent it won't be my welder (net 255 pounds). I imagine UPS man would knock first before bringing something that heavy to the door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talked to him today about looking into that part of the country. He is going to see if there are/were any "rings" or less than upstanding citizens involved in any recent activities. He is going to get back to me tomorrow. (The thought of a 350 at that price is enough for them to look into it...)

By all means, let me know if you are still in the market. PM me and we can see what we come up with. Can't get to $2400 range .. but I can get very reasonable and with piece of mind!</div></div>

I'm very interested to hear what he comes up with if for no other reason than curiosity. I figured Lincoln would be interested as well if someone is selling them for what I imagine is at or below dealer cost......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911Jerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do receive a package from this scumbag, insist that it be opened and checked for damage before you sign the release. If they refuse, hand the empty box back to them and tell them to return it to the sender as undeliverable. Refuse to sign anything.

Jerry</div></div>

If this guy sends me anything the box wont get opened without having the UPS standing right there in front of me. 2 people that left feedback on this guy in the last 2 days received a box with old Christmas lights. The fact that the tracking # he sent me indicates the box weighs 40 pound tells me that if something is sent it won't be my welder (net 255 pounds). I imagine UPS man would knock first before bringing something that heavy to the door. </div></div>

No he will not. Call UPS and say you want to pick up the package at their depot. That way you can control where and in front of whom you open the box. In fact, you'd be advised to ask if a policeman can be there with you to witness the fraud as part of an on-going case.

Good luck.

I've been jacked on eBay 5 times and 5 times Paypal has given me a 100% refund of my money. You name it and I've had it happen - nothing sent, missing items from the package, sold "NIB" & received used, DOA.....follow the eBay/Paypal procedures to the letter and make sure that you have a USPS employee's eyes on the package when it's opened.

If you have a sibling or buddy on the force, you might get a cop to waste his time being present, but don't count on it and besides that, a USPS employee can do more for a missing item/damaged item claim than a cop.

Bryan - read this;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2160579&page=1

You have to go after Ebay and PayPal like a Pit Bull to get anywhere with them.

it shouldn't be like that, but it is - they are both only interested in their cut of the proceeds and do very little to protect users unless you refuse to accept their BS.

Know your rights and keep focussed!

Good Luck!

BasraBoy, I just got done reading that thread and at least in the very end your persistence paid off. It shouldn't have to be like that, but it is what it is. Of the stories I've read about it seems that ebay/paypal put the burden of proof on the seller in most situations. In my case that should be to my advantage as the tracking # that the seller provided shows the package to have never been received by UPS and secondly the weight on the package says it is 40 pounds, the net weight on that particular welder shows to be 255 pounds in the catalog. Regardless of how open and shut my claim with paypal SHOULD be, I'm not going to feel good about it until the funds are back in my bank account.

Bryan,

Having everything documented will help...but make sure that they are documents PayPal "accept" - their T&C seem loaded against claimants! Also...don't waste time with the run of the mill muppets at the claims/resolution centre....go straight to the "Executive Escalation" team....my problem got sorted in less than a week once I got through the BS from the "lower ranks".

Cheers

Andy

Well, Paypal was much faster than I was expecting and they found in my favor on the claim, money is showing back in my paypal account.