• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 or X3 LoDrag???

GHatfield

Minuteman
I spoke with Ceylon this evening and got some great information on both packs, however I wanted to check on what the group consensus is on the two packs to help me decide which one to go with. I will be using the pack primarily hunting . I will only need to carry gear and food for the day as I won’t be staying out overnight. My first impression is accessing your gear inside the pack is easier on the LoDrag due to the configuration of the zipper and not as many buckles to deal with. I would love to hear what you guys think that have owned either pack. Thanks in advance gentleman!

Re: Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 or X3 LoDrag???

we have a few of each. lo drag all the way unless you need a crapload of room for foul weather gear, etc.

X2 on the lodrag!!! Ive got the LoDrag and it works great, and no more than what you are planning on doing I;m sure it will work great for you.

My buddy has the Gun slinger 2, it is a great pack but might be more than what you need just for a day pack

i have the gs2. great pack. but also a bit too much for a day pack to quickly visit the range

I'm in the same boat.. I'm glad this was posted.

I'm up in the air too as I've not put "hands on" either pack

I'd like to throw this out if the OP doesn't mind.

My day pack consists of:
Spotting scope
tri-pod
rain gear/layering gear(down vest)
extra socks
Camera (Nikon D90)
Game calls
snacks/lunch
emergency gear ( fire starter/lights/toiletries )
H20

I've considered both packs but have yet to pull the trigger on which one. Ceylon recommended the X3 for me as well but as the OP I just want a second opinion.

You definitely went to a good source for information. Ceylon knows these things inside and out. I spoke to him at length at a recent match about which Eberlestock (GSII or X3) and chose the Low Drag.

My needs are similar to yours and I decided I didn't need the additional capacity for hiking around for the day shooting matches. The GSII is also a fantastic pack but the way I am, I'd fill it up with a bunch of useless stuff just so it'd be full (and heavy).

I haven't had my Low Drag for too long, but really like it so far.

Something else to think about, the GS2 has a lot of flaps and straps that have to be undone and redone to access the main compartment of the pack.

The X3 main compartment can be zipped and unzipped without having to undo any fastex buckles. A lot quicker and easier to access ( lighter too).

The GS2 for larger and heavier loads is a great pack, but X3 is well named in comparison for someone who just needs a day pack.

I think the X2 is what your lookin for, I was checking out kydmax's and was really impressed. For what your needs are no need to go larger.

I was in your same shoes earlier this week. I went with the LowDrag myself as I didn't need a giant pack, but wanted ample room. Mine will mostly contain my Foxpro Firestorm, tripod, spotter, rangefinder, water and lunch.

+1 for Ceylon

I go out with similar and the lodrag works well for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the same boat.. I'm glad this was posted.

I'm up in the air too as I've not put "hands on" either pack

I'd like to throw this out if the OP doesn't mind.

My day pack consists of:
Spotting scope
tri-pod
rain gear/layering gear(down vest)
extra socks
Camera (Nikon D90)
Game calls
snacks/lunch
emergency gear ( fire starter/lights/toiletries )
H20

I've considered both packs but have yet to pull the trigger on which one. Ceylon recommended the X3 for me as well but as the OP I just want a second opinion.</div></div>

I have the GS2, I really dont use it as a day pack, cause it has the scabbard built in. Not sure if the Low Drag is built in scabbard or is an attachment.

When I'm not using it as a rifle carrier, I fold up the bottom part where the barrel goes, fold it into a compartment in the pack and snap it in, and it looks almost just like a regular day pack.

I go for hikes with about 40lbs of weight and it really does well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the GS2, I really dont use it as a day pack, cause it has the scabbard built in. Not sure if the Low Drag is built in scabbard or is an attachment.

When I'm not using it as a rifle carrier, I fold up the bottom part where the barrel goes, fold it into a compartment in the pack and snap it in, and it looks almost just like a regular day pack.

I go for hikes with about 40lbs of weight and it really does well.

</div></div>

X3 has the same scabbard setup as the GS2. With the scabbard folded either makes a nice pack for any use. The shortened/folded scabbard holds a folding stock carbine, or even a pair of snowshoes.

I got a X3 lodrag for the same reasons and so far I love it not to big, but I can fit what I need in it. Also Ceylon is great to deal with I will be buying from him again.

Are both packs made of the same weight material?
Rob

Rob, no. The GSII is cordura, the X3 is a tent like material, don't know what its called. Its light weight, and rip stop.

Just got my Lo Drag from Ceylon, +10,000 on all the nice things people say about him, top notch dude all the way around.

I have to buddies over here using Gunslingers, I have a X3, Im taking it out for 4 days to see if it can carry enough, and I can get by with less. The guys with Gunslingers have been out for two to three days, no problem if you go light. I'm really curious if 4 days will work out...like they say "pack light freeze at night!"

I'll grab some pics and post em up if I remember. Someone remind me to not be lazy with my camera.

C_K

I have a gunslinger II and I am seriously considering the X3 as well. The GS II is a great pack if you are going to the range with multiple rifles and want to carry ammunition, accessories, spotting scope, etc. However, if you are planning on going to the range with one rifle I would suggest that the Gunslinger is a little too much bag.

I think I am going to get the X3 for light range days.

My two cents.

Hope you guys are right. I just picked up BigHouse's X3 in MultiCam for when I get back from Iraq....Now for a barreled action and getting it all put together!

Anybody know how much weight these are good for before the material starts to get overly stressed and the pack starts tearing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you guys are right. I just picked up BigHouse's X3 in MultiCam for when I get back from Iraq....Now for a barreled action and getting it all put together!

Anybody know how much weight these are good for before the material starts to get overly stressed and the pack starts tearing? </div></div>
Congrats on your score! You're going to LOVE the X3 LoDrag!

Regarding your question, carrying capacity limits are going to vary based on what you're carrying and how it's stowed. Most of the feedback I'm getting indicates that, properly loaded, the X3 has no issues handling 35-40 pounds of gear such as ammo, hydration, shooting mat, spotter, rangefinder, dope book, tool kit, multitool, poncho/foul weather gear, first aid and/or blow out kit, etc. Eberlestock has just introduced a new accessory which they call the ENDO Internal Frame (AGIF), which is a rectangular aluminum frame which is inserted into the interior load bay of the pack. It provides structure to the framesheet and adds stability to the pack when the user is maximizing the internal load capacity. Here's a pic of the frame:
AGIF20sm.jpg

The material Eberlestock is using for all the <span style="font-style: italic">solid</span> color options is 420 denier ripstop nylon, which is proving to be lightweight and durable. The Multicam is also using 420 denier nylon but is NOT the ripstop variety. I don't think you're going to have issues with the material not holding up.

Hope this helps. Take care & stay safe.
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

I carry 35 lbs of stuff with my LoDrag with no problems.

I didn't know about the frame option though, interesting. I'll have to look for some reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry 35 lbs of stuff with my LoDrag with no problems.

I didn't know about the frame option though, interesting. I'll have to look for some reviews. </div></div>
Just came out 2 weeks ago. Brand spankin' new accessory to the Eberlestock catalog. I've played with one but haven't had the opportunity to do any real t&e. The frame will fit the X3 LoDrag, Gunslinger, Gunslinger II / Gunslinger 2, Phantom, X1A1, X1 Euro, Halftrack, FAC Trac, G1 Little Brother, and X4 HiSpeed.

PM me your address & I'll ship you one to you tomorrow. It's on me, I'd be interested in what you think!

Thanks
Ceylon

Man that frame sounds pretty legit. Might come in handy for some hikes

Ceylon,

I have a gunslinger II in military green that has held up well so far, granted I don't put my gear through any hard use. Is the multicam fabric fairly durable even though it isn't rip stop? I'd rather not get the X3 in the same color as my GS II but I also want it to be fully durable.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry 35 lbs of stuff with my LoDrag with no problems.

I didn't know about the frame option though, interesting. I'll have to look for some reviews. </div></div>
Just came out 2 weeks ago. Brand spankin' new accessory to the Eberlestock catalog. I've played with one but haven't had the opportunity to do any real t&e. The frame will fit the X3 LoDrag, Gunslinger, Gunslinger II / Gunslinger 2, Phantom, X1A1, X1 Euro, Halftrack, FAC Trac, G1 Little Brother, and X4 HiSpeed.

PM me your address & I'll ship you one to you tomorrow. It's on me, I'd be interested in what you think!

Thanks
Ceylon </div></div>

Damn Ceylon, thanks! Much appreciated, I'll definitely see what it does for loading and let you know.

(does Ceylon rock or what?!?)

I ordered my pack this past Monday and had it Friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ceylon,

Is that frame available for purchase on you website? </div></div>

Just got it added HERE

I've got TWO in stock right now.

Thanks!
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

WOOHOO! Just added it to my cart! Ceyonc could ya check you PMs? Ive got a question bout sizing on the Rothcos. Cant wait to get back from this damn desert and break all this stuff in! Carolina mountains here I come!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOOHOO! Just added it to my cart! Ceyonc could ya check you PMs? Ive got a question bout sizing on the Rothcos. Cant wait to get back from this damn desert and break all this stuff in! Carolina mountains here I come! </div></div>

AMEN! You take care & stay safe over there! The Carolinas will be happy to have you back!

Thanks for the heads up on the PMs. I'll get you a reply shortly.

I have the GS05M. It's great. Holds whatever rifle you need and the bag isn't annoying large with usable pockets and pouches in the right places.

If you haven't bought yet, I'll make you a deal on it.

Rich

Excellent thread, in a very similar situation, leaning toward X-3 yet concerned about the additioal weight and volume of the meat pack out.....any thoughts on size or strapping limitations??

I am shopping for a new Eberle Stock as well. I already have the x1 which is a great hunting pack but not a big enough scabbard for a big rifle and scope. Quetions for you guys about the lowdrag.
1 is it big enough to take off on a day match and not come back to the truck, IE mammoth toughman division.
2 Can I carry enough stuff in there including rain gear?
3. What about spotting scope tripod, where whould I put it?
Thanks in advance,
T

my lodrag fits more than enough. If you need more room your can add the eberlestock attachments.

I have the GS05M Gunslinger Pack, no complaints with the size. Has everything I need for a day of hiking and shooting. The packs may seem expensive when viewing them online, but once you get them in hand, they seem really under priced. Truly amazing packs in every way. I just wish I didn't take so long to get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3. What about spotting scope tripod, where whould I put it?
Thanks in advance,
T</div></div>

Long stuff like tripods go nicely under the cinch straps on either side of the lodrag. You can stick the bottom of a leg or two in the side pouches as well, it won't be going anywhere.

I have been using the GS05 gunslinger for the last couple months over here in Afghanistan and have very few complaints. In my regular mission load out I have 200 oz. of water, 120 extra rds, long john top, gortex top, extra socks, vector rangefinder (F***in' huge), data book, 2 smoke grenades, 1 star cluster, shooting sock, extra batteries, ASIP radio, M16A4, and 4 Barrett mags (mission dependent). Even with all that stuff I still find myself packing some extra snivel just to fill out the pack to keep it rigid. Which leads me to my only gripe, the lack of rigidity when not filled to the max. The frame-less design makes it somewhat slouch unless there is either a backup weapon in the rear compartment or the bag is completely full, supporting itself. Otherwise, this is the best pack I have used and it feels like a pillow on my back with the amount of padding on the back and the wide shoulder straps. With a homemade rigid frame it would be perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adamcichelli</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Even with all that stuff I still find myself packing some extra snivel just to fill out the pack to keep it rigid. Which leads me to my only gripe, the lack of rigidity when not filled to the max. The frame-less design makes it somewhat slouch unless there is either a backup weapon in the rear compartment or the bag is completely full, supporting itself. </div></div>

Check out the new ENDO insertable frame that Ceylon talked about earlier in the thread. It's exactly what you want to add support to your GS. It cheap and it's light (same weight as 3-4 rounds of .308) and it takes care of the lack of support when a rifle is not in the bag.

I'm with you, I have a GS2 and its been through a mil school (buddy took it) and civvy school. I like the pack, but I think I could have done with a smaller pack for my uses. Built very well and I'll probably keep using it anyway.

Ceylon,

Email sent on a purchase. Thanks.

Perfect timing on this post as I just "discovered" Eberlestock packs recently and am ordering one soon. I was looking at the Gunslingers, but now after reading this will order the X3 Lodrag....if it will carry my bolt-gun. My rifle has the McMillan A4 stock and a 20" Bartlein...can't remember the overall length of the rifle though. Think I'll pick up the frame too. And, it looks like I'll order from Ceylon, sounds like a great person to deal with...thanks!

I'm another guy wondering whether the GS2 or the X3 is best for me.

Primary uses: Hunting day pack and tactical competition pack.

Secondary/less frequent use: 2 - 3 day hunting pack.

Typical load: Binoculars, Leica 1600 range finder, 20 - 40 rounds of rifle ammo, rain gear, water, GPS, maps, shooting sticks, fixed blade knife, diamond sharpener, first aid kit, snacks, stocking cap, gloves, lighter, portable radio, pen, writing pad, Kestrel 4500 NV, Remington 700 LTR with PR 3-15 scope, rifle cleaning supplies, multi tool, misc.

Supplemental gear: Swarovski ATM 65 spotting scope (approx. 13" X 3") and Manfrotto tripod (approx 24" X 4"). I anticipate attaching these (in nylon cases) to the sides of the pack using the compression straps and/or molle.

I have no experience with either pack and would appreciate input from experienced users. Thanks very much.

I just got my X3 from Ceylon (Delta Outdoorsman) yesterday. I haven't used it in the field yet, but I've loaded it with everything I take on a normal trip.

Rifle, 15.5 lb., 40" long M40A3, with SWFA 5-20 x50mm: Fit perfectly.
100 rounds of ammo: I could put in 200 rounds no problem.
3 AICS mags: two 5-rnd, one 10-rnd...could fit more.
Jacket
Boonie hat
Gloves
weapon tools and cleaning gear
Data book and manuals, paper targets etc.
FDAC and a calculator.
Binos
Hearing Protection
Compass
Camera
Pencils/pens, Lens-pen

I could then attach a spotter to the outside. I still have room to stuff some other items if I wanted. LRF, keys, cell phone yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have to say I'm extremely happy with this pack. It is incredibly well made and well thought out. Super comfortable with ample padding in the hip belt and shoulder straps. I could put two hydration bladders in it as well. I would have given anything to have carried my M40A1 while in the Corps in one of these! Do not hesitate to get one. Though I can't speak on the Gunslinger, this one fits my needs (range time, hiking in the hills of CO to shoot and comps) perfectly.

I've used and owned a lot of packs, mostly rock/ice and mountain climbing packs and they are designed well too, so I wasn't expecting that level of funcionality, comfort and usage out of a military pack (think A.L.I.C.E)...I was wrong. This thing is every bit as good as those climbing packs, if not better. Again, a very well thought out piece of gear that I'm very happy I purchased.

Here are some picts of mine if it will help. X3 in FDE color. I got the aluminum frame in there too. I also picked up the butt-stock cover, but realize now I don't need it. It's for really long rifles. It can be sinched down, but a 40" rifle doesn't stick out enough to necessitate it. I might keep it though if I ever get a longer gun.

DSC09031.jpg

DSC09032.jpg

DSC09033.jpg

DSC09034.jpg

DSC09035.jpg

Gentlemen - Thanks for all the helpful intel in this thread. After speaking with Ceylon twice today, I ordered an X3 in multicam. As others have mentioned, Ceylon was informative, patient and courteous. With best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.