• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Half- 5 month update

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
This is my initial impression and basic quick look at my Eberlestock Half-Track backpack. First and foremost, quality appears to be as everyone that has an Eberlestock product will tell you is excellent. No complaints on zippers, attachment points and stitching. The strapping and adjustments are well thought out, even when wearing in conjunction with my LBT-6094M vest. The clam-shell style open front is perfect for me as it allows for easier access and better use of internal space compared to my top-load pack. For those interested in over-all size / bulk the last picture is of the pack and me, I am 5’11 so this gives you an idea.

The purpose of this pack is to haul my “stuff” while traveling down range. My typical travel duration is 3 – 7 days at a time so I don’t need a huge pack. Just enough space to put a sleeping bag (45 deg for summer travel), pillow, cloths, toiletries, and some hand-tools. So now you have the basic idea of what is required.

The long side pockets easily hold my pillow in one side, and sleeping bag and shower shoes in the other with room to spare. Between the side pockets and the main compartment there is a pocket to slide or store additional items, a nice option if required. The top compartment is large enough to keep all my basic toiletries and a spare pair of gloves also with room to spare for anything else I can think of. There is a pocket on the front panel and this offers me a good spot to keep my rain jacket as it is easily accessible with no need to unzip or open the pack. The main compartment has plenty of small pockets and spots to hold tools or whatever you can dream up. There are two smaller mesh zip closed pickets, there a divider that can be pulled up and held in place by Velcro to split the space if needed, and there are two straps at the top of the compartment for securing / compressing items (very handy). Neatly tucked into the bottom of the pack in its own zip shut pocket is the rain cover which will be a very handy item come winter time here in Afghanistan.

No, not the most in-depth review but just an initial look-see and impression. For the money and someone that is looking for a pack to hold you over for 3-5 day trips or whatever, the Half-Track is worth a look. I am glad I did.

Questions and comments are more than welcome.

eberlestockhalftrack1.jpg

eberlestockhalftrack2.jpg

eberlestockhalftrack4.jpg

eberlestockhalftrack5.jpg

Re: Eberlestock Half-Track initial impression

Good looking pack...seems well suited for your needs. I just recieved the Gunslinger 2 although not field tested yet I am impressed with the quality...I will use it locally this hunting season and then out west at one of the shooting clinics next year.
Be safe

OK, 5 months with the Half-track in Afghanistan.

Everything has held up great! The pack has seen countless trips across this dirt-hole and I have zero complaints.

I have added a saddle bag and a 2 liter standard pouch so to offer just a little bit of extra space and an easy to grab first aid kit.

The only thing I might do different if buying all over again is to go with one of the standard colors (premium 1000 denier nylon) instead of the Mossy Oak Treestand pattern. The reason is that the material that the Mossy Oak is printed on is a bit thinner / softer but up to this point it has had no issue of any real wear & tear. The rain cover is excellent and a well proven asset when needing to leave the pack where it's muddy, snowy or caught in the rain (which it hasn't rained much).

So if anyone is looking for a nice pack for 3-5 day trips (or more) give the Half-track some consideration.

Thanks for the update. Great to read "real world" review of Eberlestock gear.

Unfortunately, the particular pack in your posession is no longer being offered by Eberlestock. Their 2012 catalog has eliminated the "hunting" patterns from the Halftrack options. My personal opinion is your Halftrack looks great but I guess Eberlestock decided to narrow down the # of packs where they offer both "hunting" and "military" color/camo options.

Enjoy your pack & stay safe over there.

Thanks
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Ceylon: sent you a PM the other day for a quote on a Skycrane II