• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Mini-Me Hydration Pack or....

GreggNY

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2008
Westchester County, NY
I'm looking for a small game/hiking pack, and came across this one. Does anyone have any experience with it? pros/cons? or other similar options? I don't need a ton of storage as it would be used for a half to full day out in the field at best. The game bag is a real nice touch, and would hopefully come in handy. Any other suggested packs don't necessarily need to be a hydration pack. It just happens that this one was. Thanks in advance.

Re: Eberlestock Mini-Me Hydration Pack or....

Ceylonc here on the hide is the one to answer that. He also sells it.

With that said I used one for awhile but is was a little too small for match use. I have one with the game bag cut off and possible one with it attached. Also might have two scabbards that fit it too. PM me if you are interested and I'm sure we can work something out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a small game/hiking pack, and came across this one. Does anyone have any experience with it? pros/cons? or other similar options? I don't need a ton of storage as it would be used for a half to full day out in the field at best. The game bag is a real nice touch, and would hopefully come in handy. Any other suggested packs don't necessarily need to be a hydration pack. It just happens that this one was. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

You actually have two viable pack options from Eberlestock, based on what I'm reading. The H1 Mini Me is a great hydration pack that can also accomodate an Eberlestock scabbard accessory, giving you the ability to run the pack alone or in tandem with a weapon scabbard. Or, you can look at the Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner pack. It is nearly identical to the Mini Me except the scabbard is integrated to the pack and cannot be removed.

If having the ability to use a rifle scabbard isn't important, there are a BUNCH of good hydration packs out there. Which is best is going to depend on your usage, needs & applications. I'd be happy to help you narrow down your choices, be it an Eberlestock item or Camelbak, etc. Knowing a little bit more about what you want the pack to do will help a lot.

Thanks
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorman.com

I've been using a MiniMe since January, and it's worked well as a jack-of-all-trades mini pack.

The 3 liter hydration bladder is well made, and has held up fairly well. There's been a bit of tearing on the edge of the fold-over clip at the top of the bladder, but nothing major. I did have the mouthpiece freeze up on me in the mountains once or twice, but that was mostly user error.

Interior space is unfortunately at a premium due to the stowable bird bag that fits into the base of the pack, particularly with a full bladder. By expanding the scabbard tunnel out, you can gain a bit more room for extra items, so long as you only unzip the closure at the top and partway down the side. That's been my primary way of carrying a compact Benro tripod on day trips, and it works fairly well. The bird bag hangs awfully far off of the pack, so it'll sway around on you depending on how much weight you put into it's mesh compartment.

Similarities between the MiniMe and full-size Eberlestock packs in terms of harness design and layout make it a nice companion for a larger pack such as the Gunslinger II; I transfer my multi pouch from one bag to the other depending on my needs, and it clips onto both using the chest harness strap system.

The Scoped Sniper Rifle Scabbard is the largest scabbard that can be placed into the MiniMe, and it holds most traditional scoped rifles fairly comfortably. Due to the width of the chassis forend, an Accuracy International AE/AW/AICS is right on the ragged edge of fitting into the scabbard, depending on configuration. Something like a traditional-stocked 700 will slip right in. Shorter barrel lengths are definitely a plus with this set-up.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ceylonc, great site with a lot of other options to look at. I'll be sure to get in touch with you when I know what I want or have questions. Thanks again.

I do day hunts with a MAxpedition pygmy Falcon. Will hold a bladder, binos, extra water, first aid kit and lunch. As a plus, I can hook my eberlestock scabbard or butt bucket to it for carrying my rifle or bow.

Ceylon or anyone for that matter.

If I remember right the A4ss scabbard is not compatible with the Mini-Me pack? Will a rifle with bipod, 50mm scope, exposed high turrets, manners t2 stock, etc. fit in either the a2ss or a2ls scabbard or do you need the larger scabbard?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ceylon or anyone for that matter.

If I remember right the A4ss scabbard is not compatible with the Mini-Me pack? Will a rifle with bipod, 50mm scope, exposed high turrets, manners t2 stock, etc. fit in either the a2ss or a2ls scabbard or do you need the larger scabbard?

Thanks!</div></div>

It's probably going to be a very tight fit. I've got an AI AE with 50mm scope with high turrets, and the rifle simply won't fit with the bipod attached into the A2LS. With bipod removed, it's an extremely snug fit, lots of wiggling required. The A4SS won't work, you'll need the A2LS if I recall my part numbers correctly (scoped sniper rifle scabbard). I'd imagine the T2 should have a much slimmer profile than the AI chassis, but it's probably going to depend on just how high your scope is, what bipod you're using, and the barrel length.

Attaching and removing the scabbard takes about 2-3 minutes, so it's not instantly removable, but that's not really a big deal all things considered. Having the ability to ditch the scabbard for times when you just want a small daypack is a significant advantage over the Gunrunner for me, but for a dedicated hunting pack you might be better served with the latter. I got to handle the Gunrunner again this week, for the first time in depth, and it's definitely geared to a different set of needs than the H1/A2LS combo. You can fit quite a bit more stuff into the pack itself, but the drawcord top-opening access is a bit slow and restrictive in my opinion. If you wanted to cinch something down against the outside of the pack, the Gunrunner is the clear winner, but then again the H1's bird bag works well for relatively light stuff. There's more organizational pockets inside the H1 than the Gunrunner (the top compartment in the Gunrunner is completely plain inside, no webbing or pockets), but you can stuff water bottles in the side bottle pockets on the Gunrunner. The H1 has deployable pop-out hip straps in the same location, of relatively marginal benefit IMO.

Or just buy both.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ceylon or anyone for that matter.

Thanks!</div></div>

It's probably going to be a very tight fit. I've got an AI AE with 50mm scope with high turrets, and the rifle simply won't fit with the bipod attached into the A2LS. With bipod removed, it's an extremely snug fit, lots of wiggling required. The A4SS won't work, you'll need the A2LS if I recall my part numbers correctly (scoped sniper rifle scabbard). I'd imagine the T2 should have a much slimmer profile than the AI chassis, but it's probably going to depend on just how high your scope is, what bipod you're using, and the barrel length.

Attaching and removing the scabbard takes about 2-3 minutes, so it's not instantly removable, but that's not really a big deal all things considered. Having the ability to ditch the scabbard for times when you just want a small daypack is a significant advantage over the Gunrunner for me, but for a dedicated hunting pack you might be better served with the latter. I got to handle the Gunrunner again this week, for the first time in depth, and it's definitely geared to a different set of needs than the H1/A2LS combo. You can fit quite a bit more stuff into the pack itself, but the drawcord top-opening access is a bit slow and restrictive in my opinion. If you wanted to cinch something down against the outside of the pack, the Gunrunner is the clear winner, but then again the H1's bird bag works well for relatively light stuff. There's more organizational pockets inside the H1 than the Gunrunner (the top compartment in the Gunrunner is completely plain inside, no webbing or pockets), but you can stuff water bottles in the side bottle pockets on the Gunrunner. The H1 has deployable pop-out hip straps in the same location, of relatively marginal benefit IMO.

Or just buy both.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Or just buy both? Ha...

I like the option to remove the scabbard as this pack will most likely be used for bowhunting too.

However, I more than likely will be picking up this pack and a eberlestock blue widow also. That way the scabbard can be used for both packs or taken off for the bow. just wished the a2ls scabbard would fit the rifle but sounds like it would be a tight squeeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Or just buy both? Ha...

I like the option to remove the scabbard as this pack will most likely be used for bowhunting too.

However, I more than likely will be picking up this pack and a eberlestock blue widow also. That way the scabbard can be used for both packs or taken off for the bow. just wished the a2ls scabbard would fit the rifle but sounds like it would be a tight squeeze. </div></div>

Check with Ceylon directly, and see if maybe he has something comparable he can try to fit in there himself. He may have more suggestions regarding other options for your particular needs.

Thanks for the input Arbiter, i'll have to check with ceylon.

Eitherway the little I've handled a mini me, they appear to be a great pack when not needing tons of space.

Give me a shout anytime. I'd be happy to help if you still have questions or ideas.

Thanks
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com