• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Operator G4M Pack

GreyWolf36

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2002
    Kansas, Oklahoma
    Just received my new pack today WOW this thing is BIG and has all kinds of room for everything you can imagine you would need. I got the Dry Earth and really like the color, the fit and quality are impecable. Anybody eles got one?

GW36

Re: Eberlestock Operator G4M Pack

I have one in coyote. Going to use it for the first time at Raton on Sunday. So dang many pockets, keep trying to figure out what to put where
    smile.gif
    It is a great quality pack, really looking foward to carrying rifle in pack instead of on sling.

You can pull out the waist band, its velcroed on and kinda gets in the way of a good belt rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can pull out the waist band, its velcroed on and kinda gets in the way of a good belt rig.</div></div>

+1 but there's only Molle on the sides. Good enough though.

GG

EDIT - I thought you were talking about using the belt as a rig. I read it quick.

I bought same one - same color - quite the pack for sure ....

I stripped my first gen harness and waistband and hooked it to an Eagle plate carrier. Walked a couple miles with the rifle + 35lbs, then 70Lbs. You have full mobility, it's very stable.

Picture051-2.jpg

Picture053.jpg

The Eberlestock packs are on the short list of things I wish I'd owned when I deployed along with a TAB Cover, Viper Hood, and some form of LRF. I've owned three different Eberlestock packs and used numerous other types while trying to figure how to comfortably pack a rifle and it is by far the best option.

Just thought I would weigh in here, as I have used both the operator and phantom.

I agree these are the best off the shelf options..
    But there are problems with both.

First this is just me but I think they have way to many internal pockets, to the point where if you using the one inside one "bay" you cant use the others on the other side, good to have options, but the more layers of cordura the heavier bag.

the g4 operator.
    1st This is a very big day bag, but is still not a ruc. The needs for 72 hour ops ( extra ammo, 9 liters water, food, night-vision, sleeping gear, snivle kit, misc mission essential kit for the det) will not be held in this bag. ( without custom strapping )

2nd, the 2 aluminum rails are hardly a frame. Though they would provide rigidity horizontally the bag still flexes alot.

3rd the bag needed to be cinched down alot to keep it from being floppy, and was provided with straps to do so, but once this happens everything in the bag is compressed against the gun. So now " just pulling out the gun" becomes a chore. Another side effect from this is now the aluminum frame becomes obsolete as the most riged thing in the now compressed beg is the rifle its self, which isnt very comfy, and also not the way I like to treat my gun

The Phantom

Definitely a smaller bag, so great for a short patrol or Day mission. The biggest problem with this bag is that the "bag" attaches the scabbard, and theres no straps to tighten it up. What ends up happening is with a loaded bag, it starts to swish left to righ back and forth on the scabbard.
    Once the scabbard is removed its an Ideal bag for a spotter, but when its removed the padding on the shoulders and the velcro for the belt goes with it. Also with out a gun in it the bag is very flimsy.

My solutions to these problems would be use a full frame the length of the bag, to keep everything tight and secure, and even a secondary frame around the gun to alow quick access and to prevent from being squished.

As for the phantom, I think as a day bag it would benefit from the aluminum frames the operator uses, or even the plastic style backing the camelbak bags use.

One option I know guys tried was attaching the scabbard to alice type frame and then the alice bag over the scabbard, it was a feild job, so it still had a few kinks.

Once again, not bashing Eberlestock at all, great product. Nice to see sniper specific kit, just some point to improve on