• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock Operator Review

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
I picked up an Eberlestock Operator a few weeks ago and had a chance to test it out on a 2 week field op in the NC woods. Figured I would give an honest assessment of the pack.

First of all, the pack is big enough to meet the needs of most. I would say that it is slightly smaller then the Blackhawk SOF ruck I have used in the past, but bigger then an ALICE mountain ruck. You can pack realistically for a 3 day mission in cold weather, which is what we were working in. That would include all the gear for the sniper in the team, as it is definitely a billet specific pack.

I do like the layout of the external pouches. Seemed to allow for easy access to missions essential gear, although the Blackhawk SOF ruck has more external pouches. The problem with the layout on the SOF ruck is that you have a tendency to place too much shit in these pouches, and the pack ends up feeling alot heavier then it should be, due to the fact that you are placing too much weight away from your center of gravity.

You can use the pack to shoot off of, and after spending a few days of shooting the m40a3 off of it, I almost like it better then using bipods.

The pack rides pretty well on the back. Alot better then the Eberlestock Phantom pack, which had a tendency to pull back when I was wearing it. It is absolutely awesome without wearing body armor. With body armor it will depend on the type of body armor you are wearing.

At first I felt that the shoulder straps were too thin, because I am used to thicker straps. However, they are very comfortable, and the thinness does allow you to accurately engage targets while the pack is on your back. It is extremely hard to engage targets with an m4 if you are actively compromised and wearing body armor, and a SOF ruck. The Operator seemed alot better suited for this purpose, and this is a MAJOR selling point for me.

1 weakness I did notice was that when you have the sniper rifle in the scabbard, it has a tendency to wobble around. If you use a scope and crown cover, it seems to help this by taking up just a little more space and not giving the gun as much room to shift around when moving.

For urban applications this pack kicks ass. Prior to this pack, I t-boned my m40a3 over my ruck, and it makes it impossible to enter a house through a door. This pack allowed my team to get into a building and soft clear it without making any noise. Same thing goes through the woods, as anyone who has ever moved with a combat load through the woods knows how the long gun t-boned over a ruck gets caught on every tee/branch imaginable.

Any other questions just ask. I am posting this because before I bought this pack, I would have liked to see a review like this to give an honest assessment. I tested the pack out for the platoon in order to figure out if our platoon should purchase a few. I can say that as of right now, this will be my go to pack for our Afghanistan deployment.

Re: Eberlestock Operator Review

I experienced the same thing as you in regards to the rifle flopping around in the scabbard of my Gunslinger II and I really haven't found a way to completely keep it from moving around. One thing I do to help though is carry my rifle buttstock down and attach the crown cover directly to the back with another fastex buckle. That way I can cinch the cover down over the muzzle kind of push it down into the scabbard some, so far it seems to help a little. I wish I had an Eberlestock pack when I was in Afghanistan. My platoon used Camelback BFM's and while it was good for recon missions and stuff, it wasn't the best at carrying a M24 strapped to the side going up and down mountains and through those little ass doors.

thanks for the review. any pictures ?
smile.gif

Anytime guys. If anyone is interested in a review on the tactical concealment Viper Hood I can do a review on that, as I used it extensively as well. Just let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anytime guys. If anyone is interested in a review on the tactical concealment Viper Hood I can do a review on that, as I used it extensively as well. Just let me know. </div></div>

I'd like to see that.

I have had the phantom and I currently have a Gunslinger original and the original M3 Operator. The dang Operator is sweet that is for sure. You can carry everything and the kitchen sink if needed. I have been using my GS for 3 gun and IDPA matches as my range bag. I have some of the voodoo AR and pistol mag pouches on the outside for quick access to the mags. It is super handy for the AR rifle in the scabbard. I will have to admit, that I really liked the layout of the Phantom I had too, maybe moreso inside than the Operator. I have thought about trading my GS off for another Phantom, but I hate to spend another $100 to do so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anytime guys. If anyone is interested in a review on the tactical concealment Viper Hood I can do a review on that, as I used it extensively as well. Just let me know. </div></div>

sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anytime guys. If anyone is interested in a review on the tactical concealment Viper Hood I can do a review on that, as I used it extensively as well. Just let me know. </div></div>

I'd like to see that. </div></div>

ditto.......

I've been considering an Operator recently also. One question, how tall are you? I'm 6'3" with a long torso and the waist belt on packs tend to run accross my belly instead of my hips. Is the suspension system adjustable?

I'd love to see some pics--especially on you to see the relative size. I am really interested in this pack, bit am REALLY afraid it is too big for general use. Does it compress down such that the excess space doesn't get in the way when only partially loaded? I've heard alot of people saying that the gun can flop around some. Hard to know unless you just buy the sucker and use it. Any pics would be very appreciated. I wish Mystery Ranch had a good rifle carrier--they are supposedly coming out with something in a few months.

I am 6'3" 225 myself and have no problems with adjustments. I actually still have 1 or 2 "notches" left on the adjustments. I have tried the gunslinger, phantom and the operator and all 3 have adjusted fine for me.

i'm 6'3" 225 as well and haven't had any issues i have two of eberlstock's bags one of which i used overseas. love them both, they make such a nice product. what i like about their bags is the ability to pull the rifle bag off and on. i have the phantom which i used overseas and i just got the G4 operator, which every sniper at my unit got we have yet to test them but looks like a really nicely setup bag, i can take picks of both if anyone wants them next time i go to work which should be tomarrow.

I think I am a different than most, I think I like the phantom the best. I loved the way it was laid out inside. I think the operator carries better with a heavy load though. I am still thinking seriously about selling my gunslinger and getting another phantom. I use my gunslinger for 3gun matches.

i like the pouches on the phantom too, the sid pockets are perfect for tripod and spotting scope, easily accessable, the inside was perfect for warmies and MRE"s, with my computer, camera etc. worked well for overwatches.

For the purpose of seeing how the rifle sits. Not the Operator but the J107 Firefly full of my hunting gear, 26" Rem 700 in 30-06 AI with a Mk4 4.5-14x50, Rifles Only LFR case with Swaro LRF in it, near full 100 oz H20 bladder, two elk rib cages, all the back straps and neck meat; compressed down as much as possible. I'm at 11,000'+ in Utah.

MewithelkribscomingofHighTop2.jpg

MewithelkribscomingoftheHighTop.jpg

A short strap with Fastex buckle can lash around the Wrist of the rifle stock and the top molle and eleminate the wobble,at least for me. Works really well but I dont try to remove the rifle with the pack on my back. Also drawing the hood down will eleminate a lot of it.

Better late than never

Thanks for the review rogers0311 and all the feed back from the other members.... I was sitting on the fence, but after reading your review and comments, it was a done deal.... No combat for me just recreational hunting.

A big Thanks for your service to this great country... May you all get home safe....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrivera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better late than never

Thanks for the review rogers0311 and all the feed back from the other members.... I was sitting on the fence, but after reading your review and comments, it was a done deal.... No combat for me just recreational hunting.

A big Thanks for your service to this great country... May you all get home safe.... </div></div>

So nice to see a thread revived for the right reasons!
The operator has been an outstanding pack for me.

This is how you search for info instead of just posting a new thread on the same topic.