• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eberlestock S34 Secret Weapon Review

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
s34_1.jpg

Back in January 2012, Eberlestock showed off two NEW packs at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas. Dubbed the S25 Cherry Bomb and S34 Secret Weapon, these packs are a departure from the backpack with weapon scabbard designs that have made their gear so popular among 'Hiders and other passionate hunters & shooters around the globe. Glen Eberle, Eberlestock's owner, sought to put together a "discreet" backpack that can carry a compact weapon but do so without the external features & design screaming "tactical" or "I'm carrying a gun". While I haven't spent any real time discussing with Glen his vision or focus when designing the S25 and S34, it is evident that he is targeting the consumer who is looking to fill the following needs:

--Urban customer who has to transport their weapon(s) in an area where neighbors may not be gun friendly. In other words, need a gun case that doesn't <span style="font-weight: bold">LOOK</span> like a gun case;
--"Prepper/SHTF" customer who forsees the need to transport basic survival items AND a weapon <span style="font-style: italic">discreetly</span>. Many of these advocates prefer the inherent design features of a backpack vs. a duffel, etc.;
--Customer looking for a "minimalist" day-pack that can accomodate & safely transport a laptop computer and other business or travel accessories. While the S25 Cherry Bomb is a better fit for this application than the S34 due to the shorter vertical length of the pack, both offer a built-in organizer, two storage compartments, and a removable waist belt that can liken this design to a "vertical briefcase" pack;

So, I left SHOT show worn out & in a daze, trying to make sense out of all the new gear I had seen and handled. Those of you who have been to SHOT know what I'm talking about, and this Show was no different. Going through my daily notes, I kept coming back to these two "discreet" packs. Eberlestock is an anchor line for deltaoutdoorsman.com, and I try to analyze their offerings a little deeper than some other lines because we take so many call & inquiries from customers who can't personally handle or evaluate their packs before making a purchase decision. With the standard scabbard & backpack design, it is pretty easy to get a customer narrowed down to 1-2 options after speaking with them about intended applications, budget, etc. With the S25 and S34, there are different considerations at play, since these two packs really aren't aimed at the guy looking for a range, match, or hunting setup. So, when I heard a few weeks ago that these packs were no longer prototypes but now ready for customers, I jumped at the chance to bring one in for T&E.

Let me say at the onset here that I did not bring in the S25 Cherry Bomb for this review. I opted for the S34 Secret Weapon for a number of reasons, the main being that these packs are <span style="font-style: italic">identical</span> with regard to features & layout. They vary only in dimensions, as the Cherry Bomb is merely a scaled down version of the Secret Weapon. Since most guys here are not running SBR rifles but instead have carbines or bolt rifles with folding chassis stock, it just didn't make sense to bring in the smaller of the 2 packs. With this being said, I'm going to cut/paste the features described by Eberlestock for the S25 below, so you have some reference of the capabilities of that model:

<span style="font-style: italic"> The 'S' line of packs takes Eberlestock's design ethic of bringing you "more than meets the eye" in an entirely new direction. With a unique aesthetic, the packs are purposely made with a minimalist exterior combined with a feature-rich interior. Perhaps you're one of those people who wants a pack to carry your weapon, but you don't want it to scream "military" or "hunter." Without question, the 'S' packs, originally conceived to complement our Stealth Rifle Chassis, look civilian, as in civil, and sporty.

If you want a bag that will carry a folding sniper rifle, an 11" barreled M4, or that doubles as compact luggage, check out the S34 Secret Weapon.

If, on the other hand, you want a slim-line day bag that works equally well as a laptop carrier or as a pack for a 7" barreled M4, check out the S25 Cherry Bomb. In our field trials with the packs, the Cherry Bomb became thought of as a "vertical briefcase." With the waist belt removed, it's an ultra-comfortable, handy little pack that is right at home running through airports or going from home-to-car-to-office and back. No doubt you'll spot these bags riding the subways of the world with the morning commute.

The smaller S25 Cherry Bomb has two main compartments, plus an outside pocket under the coffin-logo panel.

-- In the first "public" compartment, you'll find translucent slip-pockets suitable for iphones, with a double pen slot between them, a semi-rigid document / laptop sleeve (which alternates as a hydration bladder stowage pocket, as shown above), opposing rows of MOLLE/PALS type webbing, and a mesh pocket inside the front door.

-- In the second, "private" compartment, you'll find another sleeve suitable for a laptop, plus the main weapon stowage compartment. This is sized for a 7" barreled M4 or similar proportioned weapon (Primary Weapons Systems Diablo shown above). The pack measures 24.5" x 11", and this pocket uses the full dimensions. Also here, you'll find a nice organizer assembly, with two padded magazine / iphone / compact camera compartments, pen sleeves, a zippered pocket, a tuck-pocket, and a key-keeper hook.

-- The pack includes a rain cover stowed in a pocket in the bottom.

-- Removable waistbelt has two zippered pockets (although our favorite way to use this pack is executive-style, with the waistbelt removed).</span>

So, now that there is a little background in place, lets talk about the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Eberlestock S34 Secret Weapon backpack</span>...

P1140294Medium.jpg

I <span style="font-weight: bold">LIKE</span> the layout, features, and design of this pack a LOT! Glen's offering in the S34 is unique, in that it's top to bottom length runs 30 inches & can accomodate a long gun up to 29.5 inches in length (overall length or broken down), is hydration compatible (either a 2 or 3 Liter Bladder is workable) AND has a shoulder harness & waist belt system augmented by a framesheet & aluminum stays for stability. There are a couple of other competing offerings out there (I won't go into their names or makes) but none offer the same compact length, a waist belt, lumbar pad, vertically adjustable shoulder harness, can accomodate a hydration bladder, or incorporate a framesheet with aluminium stays. Just because they're "discreet", can carry a weapon, and have shoulder straps like a backpack doesn't give them the same capabilities as the S34. So, based on my initial observations & research into this product arena, Eberlestock's design & features with this pack is both unique and without equal.

Externally, there is nothing about this pack that tips off the unsuspecting observer that it is (or can be used as) a weapon carrier. The demo model shown in the pics for this review is in Military Green / Urban Gray. There is NO external molle webbing, and the three colors currently being offered (Black / Urban Gray, Coyote Brown / Dry Earth, and Military Green / Urban Gray) are coordinated in a way that projects more recreational pursuits than tactical/military. Save the coffin-shaped front panel with the Eberlestock brand, the casual observer is going to see a pack that more closely resembles a tennis racquet bag than a hauler of firearm(s).

P1140296Medium.jpg

P1140295Medium.jpg

P1140298Medium.jpg

P1140297Medium.jpg

P1140325Medium.jpg

Now, on to the interior of the S34 Secret Weapon pack...

There are two load carrying compartments for this pack. Each is accessed via dual YKK zipper pulls and run from the top edge & top third of the pack down to the lower third of the pack. However, instead of running the edge, the zipper flap tapers toward the middle section, making the flap resemble a teardrop when fully unzipped.
P1140299Medium.jpg

The first compartment uses a waterproof zipper and runs approximately 24 inches from the top to bottom & is roughly 12.5 inches wide at the top. At the top wall of the compartment are two translucent pouches that are roughly 5 inches long & 4.5 inches tall. There is no way to close the pockets, but they'd be a handy place to keep a wallet, passport, etc. There is a 10.5 inch sleeve built into the compartment that is similiar to the sleeve found in the X3 LoDrag backpack. There are three rows of molle webbing at the exterior of this sleeve, which can be used to mount molle compatible pouches, blow out kits, survival knife, holster, etc. The inside of this sleeve is 1.25 inches deep and is a good place for a hydration bladder, tablet/laptop, rifle mags, ammo, etc. At the flap (opposing the sleeve within the compartment) is one row of molle webbing and a mesh pocket with zipper access.
P1140300Medium.jpg

P1140319Medium.jpg

...<span style="font-style: italic">used up the photo space for this post. Review continues below, with more pics, observations, etc.</span>

Re: Eberlestock S34 Secret Weapon Review

<span style="font-style: italic">continued from above...</span>

P1140327Medium.jpg

P1140326Medium.jpg

The second, or main compartment, is similiar in layout to the secondard compartment but on a larger scale.
P1140302Medium.jpg

P1140311Medium.jpg

As you can see from the pic, there are two sleeves in this compartment, oriented one above the other. The lower sleeve has three rows of molle webbing and is approximately 12.5 inches from top edge to the bottom, 12.5 inches wide at the top and is 2 inches deep. The upper sleeve is the best place to stow your weapon. It has two rows of molle webbing at it's exterior & is approx. 23.5 inches from the top edge to the bottom, 12.5 inches wide at the top edge, but is 4.25 inches deep. This last dimension is important because the added space is needed to accomodate the width of the weapon being hauled, be it a folding chassis, AR/AK, etc. Opposing the two sleeves (on the external flap) is an organizer. There are two mag pouches that can accomodate 30-round AR or AK mags. There is a nylon pouch between the mag holders that includes an organizer for a notepad, writing instruments, etc.
P1140321Medium.jpg

Obviously, you can outfit this compartment any way you like based on your needs, equipment, etc. Here are some possible configurations I decided to show, as an AK underfolder is a perfect fit for the weapon sleeve. While it can be argued pro/con as to whether an AK with underfolder stock makes for an "ideal" bug out weapon, I think it makes for a good "demo" weapon for this pack, as most folks here have some familiarity with the AK's size (just under 27 inches with the underfolder in collapse mode), dimensions, etc. Of note, a carbine AR with collapseable stock will NOT fit within the confines of this compartment. I tried a Stag Arms AR with 16" barrel & collapseable stock, which is 32.5 inches from muzzle to buttstock when fully collapsed. As you can see, the muzzle protrudes roughly 2.5 inches above the top edge of the pack. While the weapon WILL FIT if you break it down to it's upper & lower parts, you cannot run the weapon in ready to go mode.
P1140315Medium.jpg

P1140323Medium.jpg

P1140312Medium.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't own (or have access to) a bolt rifle setup that utilizes either a folding chassis or stock. Trying to find one locally is what delayed this review for about a week. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity in the future to document fit for some of the more popular setups used here but right now it will be best to just use the dimensions & measurement provided to see whether your rig will fit.

Finally, here is a pic of of the pack fully loaded as is pictured above. As you can see, it carries & disguises the contents well.
P1140328Medium.jpg

Here's a list of what is inside:
--ONE: AK underfolder;
--ONE: 2 mag molle pouch;
--ONE: 3 mag molle pouch;
--TWO: 30-round AK mags;
--ONE: 3 Liter Hydration Bladder;
--ONE: Molle holster with Taurus PT-145 handgun;
--ONE: Zero Tolerance Combat Knife;
--ONE: Fenix LED TK15 Flashlight;
--ONE: Blow Out/Trauma Kit with QuikClot;

These components took up about half the overall capacity for the S34 pack. I would have more than adequate room for a few MRE packages, 200-300 rounds of 7.62 AK ammo, couple of ponchos, a fleece jacket, basic survival kit, 2 shirts/pants/underwear, etc. If one were to equip this pack as a range bag, you'd have no issue whatsoever replacing the "bug out" equipment for a portable gunsmith tool set, rangefinder, ammo, mags, etc. A spotter & tripod is easily affixed to the side of the pack.

Finally, one of the features that really sets this pack apart from anything similiar on the market is the harness system. The shoulder harness is fully adjustable to accomodate various torso lengths. Like other Eberlestock packs, the S34 Secret Weapon (and S25 Cherry Bomb) is designed to "ride high" like a mountaineering pack. The lumbar pad is large & designed to center the load over your hips. Used in tandem with the padded waist belt, it helps in alleviating the stress & fatigue that is created when the load is born at the shoulders. So, you can carry heavier loads more comfortably (and for longer periods of time) with this harness system. Stability is provided by both a plastic framesheet AND two vertically oriented aluminum stays. This lessens the load's movement and helps in keeping the weight off the shoulders. Again, there are no competitors that utilize such a system.

If I have one gripe with this pack, it has to do with accessing the main compartment while you're running a hydration bladder at the secondary compartment. There is a small hydration port at the top of the secondary compartment (merely a cutout for you to run the hose). If you're running the hose out of this compartment & securing the mouthpiece at the shoulder harness, then it makes it impossible to fully open the main compartment. You can unzip it, but it won't unfurl because the hose is in the way. You can avoid this problem by running the bladder at the lower sleeve in the main compartment, but then you'll need a longer hose and it will run out of the top of the compartment (no hydration port, so you can't zip the compartment closed and run the hose out). In my opinion, this is a design flaw but isn't a "deal killer".

In summary, I think this pack is in a class all it's own if you're living in an urban area where you don't want to around attention while you're transporting a weapon. It doesn't look like a gun case, yet it gives you a lot of the same features that you find in a drag bag, dedicated range bag, etc. In a "SHTF / Bug Out" application, it offers the same under the radar design yet provides enough capacity to accomodate the gear necessary if you find yourself in such a situation for 48-72 hours. There is even a built in rain fly at the bottom of the pack that can be engaged if needed, keeping both the survival contents & weapon dry. Eberlestock has a MAP price of $249.00 for the S25 Cherry Bomb and $329.00 for the S34 Secret Weapon. I think this is very reasonable when you consider the features, construction quality, and design. As far as accessories are concerned, you can consider the hydration bladders, 2 Liter Accessory Pouch (AN2P), Saddle Bag (A3SB), Airwave Pouch (A1AA), or the Small/Large Padded Accessory Pouch (A1MP or A2MP). However, you'll have to get either a Military Green / Urban Gray or Coyote Brown / Urban Gray version to get an accessory that somewhat matches the pack. Not a big deal at all with most folks, since the accessories will be inside the pack, but something to consider for a few users out there.

Thanks for taking the time to ready this review. Please feel free to get in touch anytime you have questions or are interested in picking up an S25 or S34. You can find these pack on deltaoutdoorsman.com by clicking the link HERE. I'll try to update this thread as feedback comes in from users in the field.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

This is a neat concept. On the S34, Is the frame actually a frame?

The X3 isn't a good choice for carrying heavy loads (personal experience) ; How does this compare? If there is actually a frame, with real lift, it fills a wider varity of roles. If it's a bag with straps, well, we have lots of those...
wink.gif

Are the bladder pockets the skinny 'elebrestock' style?

Interesting.

Agreed that the X3 is marginal when over 45lbs, although I've done 17 miles with it at 52lbs and it was tolerable.

Good review, I just emailed you regarding this pack, though Im torn between the 25 and 34!

Nice, Ceylon! I want a Cherry Bomb!

Oh, and I still am interested in whether you can sell the Model 11 chassis, too?
wink.gif

Excellent review.

Just wondering if anyone's had a chance to try an AW or AX folder in one of these since it was written - and, if so, what barrel length will fit?

My rifle with Mcree chassis and 26" is a little longer than a M4. So I'm guessing and folding stock long rifle with more than a 20" barrel will not fit.

Will this fit people over 6'2"? Most of their designs are for short guys.

Will this fit people over 6'2"? Most of their designs are for short guys.
You shouldn't have a problem at all length wise, unless you have an unusually long torso. I've had guys taller than you run this pack with no issues whatsoever.

Seems like adding an extra 2.5" would have opened it up to a much larger customer base that could use it with a full size AR platform =/

"Seems like adding an extra 2.5" would have opened it up to a much larger customer base that could use it with a full size AR platform =/ "

My thoughts exactly. Not too many non-le folks (compared to the shooting population as a whole) own anything with barrels shorter than 16" .

You shouldn't have a problem at all length wise, unless you have an unusually long torso. I've had guys taller than you run this pack with no issues whatsoever.

As earlier and by PM: Will it fit an AW or AX folder? (for clarity: with a 20" barrel).

Grateful for a yes/no.

Many thanks.

Would love to see them make a mon-tactical pack for the bolt action crowd.

s34_1.jpg

Back in January 2012, Eberlestock showed off two NEW packs at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas. Dubbed the S25 Cherry Bomb and S34 Secret Weapon, these packs are a departure from the backpack with weapon scabbard designs that have made their gear so popular among 'Hiders and other passionate hunters & shooters around the globe. Glen Eberle, Eberlestock's owner, sought to put together a "discreet" backpack that can carry a compact weapon but do so without the external features & design screaming "tactical" or "I'm carrying a gun". While I haven't spent any real time discussing with Glen his vision or focus when designing the S25 and S34, it is evident that he is targeting the consumer who is looking to fill the following needs:

--Urban customer who has to transport their weapon(s) in an area where neighbors may not be gun friendly. In other words, need a gun case that doesn't <span style="font-weight: bold">LOOK</span> like a gun case;
--"Prepper/SHTF" customer who forsees the need to transport basic survival items AND a weapon <span style="font-style: italic">discreetly</span>. Many of these advocates prefer the inherent design features of a backpack vs. a duffel, etc.;
--Customer looking for a "minimalist" day-pack that can accomodate & safely transport a laptop computer and other business or travel accessories. While the S25 Cherry Bomb is a better fit for this application than the S34 due to the shorter vertical length of the pack, both offer a built-in organizer, two storage compartments, and a removable waist belt that can liken this design to a "vertical briefcase" pack;

So, I left SHOT show worn out & in a daze, trying to make sense out of all the new gear I had seen and handled. Those of you who have been to SHOT know what I'm talking about, and this Show was no different. Going through my daily notes, I kept coming back to these two "discreet" packs. Eberlestock is an anchor line for deltaoutdoorsman.com, and I try to analyze their offerings a little deeper than some other lines because we take so many call & inquiries from customers who can't personally handle or evaluate their packs before making a purchase decision. With the standard scabbard & backpack design, it is pretty easy to get a customer narrowed down to 1-2 options after speaking with them about intended applications, budget, etc. With the S25 and S34, there are different considerations at play, since these two packs really aren't aimed at the guy looking for a range, match, or hunting setup. So, when I heard a few weeks ago that these packs were no longer prototypes but now ready for customers, I jumped at the chance to bring one in for T&E.

Let me say at the onset here that I did not bring in the S25 Cherry Bomb for this review. I opted for the S34 Secret Weapon for a number of reasons, the main being that these packs are <span style="font-style: italic">identical</span> with regard to features & layout. They vary only in dimensions, as the Cherry Bomb is merely a scaled down version of the Secret Weapon. Since most guys here are not running SBR rifles but instead have carbines or bolt rifles with folding chassis stock, it just didn't make sense to bring in the smaller of the 2 packs. With this being said, I'm going to cut/paste the features described by Eberlestock for the S25 below, so you have some reference of the capabilities of that model:

<span style="font-style: italic"> The 'S' line of packs takes Eberlestock's design ethic of bringing you "more than meets the eye" in an entirely new direction. With a unique aesthetic, the packs are purposely made with a minimalist exterior combined with a feature-rich interior. Perhaps you're one of those people who wants a pack to carry your weapon, but you don't want it to scream "military" or "hunter." Without question, the 'S' packs, originally conceived to complement our Stealth Rifle Chassis, look civilian, as in civil, and sporty.

If you want a bag that will carry a folding sniper rifle, an 11" barreled M4, or that doubles as compact luggage, check out the S34 Secret Weapon.

If, on the other hand, you want a slim-line day bag that works equally well as a laptop carrier or as a pack for a 7" barreled M4, check out the S25 Cherry Bomb. In our field trials with the packs, the Cherry Bomb became thought of as a "vertical briefcase." With the waist belt removed, it's an ultra-comfortable, handy little pack that is right at home running through airports or going from home-to-car-to-office and back. No doubt you'll spot these bags riding the subways of the world with the morning commute.

The smaller S25 Cherry Bomb has two main compartments, plus an outside pocket under the coffin-logo panel.

-- In the first "public" compartment, you'll find translucent slip-pockets suitable for iphones, with a double pen slot between them, a semi-rigid document / laptop sleeve (which alternates as a hydration bladder stowage pocket, as shown above), opposing rows of MOLLE/PALS type webbing, and a mesh pocket inside the front door.

-- In the second, "private" compartment, you'll find another sleeve suitable for a laptop, plus the main weapon stowage compartment. This is sized for a 7" barreled M4 or similar proportioned weapon (Primary Weapons Systems Diablo shown above). The pack measures 24.5" x 11", and this pocket uses the full dimensions. Also here, you'll find a nice organizer assembly, with two padded magazine / iphone / compact camera compartments, pen sleeves, a zippered pocket, a tuck-pocket, and a key-keeper hook.

-- The pack includes a rain cover stowed in a pocket in the bottom.

-- Removable waistbelt has two zippered pockets (although our favorite way to use this pack is executive-style, with the waistbelt removed).</span>

So, now that there is a little background in place, lets talk about the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Eberlestock S34 Secret Weapon backpack</span>...

P1140294Medium.jpg

I <span style="font-weight: bold">LIKE</span> the layout, features, and design of this pack a LOT! Glen's offering in the S34 is unique, in that it's top to bottom length runs 30 inches & can accomodate a long gun up to 29.5 inches in length (overall length or broken down), is hydration compatible (either a 2 or 3 Liter Bladder is workable) AND has a shoulder harness & waist belt system augmented by a framesheet & aluminum stays for stability. There are a couple of other competing offerings out there (I won't go into their names or makes) but none offer the same compact length, a waist belt, lumbar pad, vertically adjustable shoulder harness, can accomodate a hydration bladder, or incorporate a framesheet with aluminium stays. Just because they're "discreet", can carry a weapon, and have shoulder straps like a backpack doesn't give them the same capabilities as the S34. So, based on my initial observations & research into this product arena, Eberlestock's design & features with this pack is both unique and without equal.

Externally, there is nothing about this pack that tips off the unsuspecting observer that it is (or can be used as) a weapon carrier. The demo model shown in the pics for this review is in Military Green / Urban Gray. There is NO external molle webbing, and the three colors currently being offered (Black / Urban Gray, Coyote Brown / Dry Earth, and Military Green / Urban Gray) are coordinated in a way that projects more recreational pursuits than tactical/military. Save the coffin-shaped front panel with the Eberlestock brand, the casual observer is going to see a pack that more closely resembles a tennis racquet bag than a hauler of firearm(s).

P1140296Medium.jpg

P1140295Medium.jpg

P1140298Medium.jpg

P1140297Medium.jpg

P1140325Medium.jpg

Now, on to the interior of the S34 Secret Weapon pack...

There are two load carrying compartments for this pack. Each is accessed via dual YKK zipper pulls and run from the top edge & top third of the pack down to the lower third of the pack. However, instead of running the edge, the zipper flap tapers toward the middle section, making the flap resemble a teardrop when fully unzipped.
P1140299Medium.jpg

The first compartment uses a waterproof zipper and runs approximately 24 inches from the top to bottom & is roughly 12.5 inches wide at the top. At the top wall of the compartment are two translucent pouches that are roughly 5 inches long & 4.5 inches tall. There is no way to close the pockets, but they'd be a handy place to keep a wallet, passport, etc. There is a 10.5 inch sleeve built into the compartment that is similiar to the sleeve found in the X3 LoDrag backpack. There are three rows of molle webbing at the exterior of this sleeve, which can be used to mount molle compatible pouches, blow out kits, survival knife, holster, etc. The inside of this sleeve is 1.25 inches deep and is a good place for a hydration bladder, tablet/laptop, rifle mags, ammo, etc. At the flap (opposing the sleeve within the compartment) is one row of molle webbing and a mesh pocket with zipper access.
P1140300Medium.jpg

P1140319Medium.jpg

...<span style="font-style: italic">used up the photo space for this post. Review continues below, with more pics, observations, etc.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">continued from above...</span>

P1140327Medium.jpg

P1140326Medium.jpg

The second, or main compartment, is similiar in layout to the secondard compartment but on a larger scale.
P1140302Medium.jpg

P1140311Medium.jpg

As you can see from the pic, there are two sleeves in this compartment, oriented one above the other. The lower sleeve has three rows of molle webbing and is approximately 12.5 inches from top edge to the bottom, 12.5 inches wide at the top and is 2 inches deep. The upper sleeve is the best place to stow your weapon. It has two rows of molle webbing at it's exterior & is approx. 23.5 inches from the top edge to the bottom, 12.5 inches wide at the top edge, but is 4.25 inches deep. This last dimension is important because the added space is needed to accomodate the width of the weapon being hauled, be it a folding chassis, AR/AK, etc. Opposing the two sleeves (on the external flap) is an organizer. There are two mag pouches that can accomodate 30-round AR or AK mags. There is a nylon pouch between the mag holders that includes an organizer for a notepad, writing instruments, etc.
P1140321Medium.jpg

Obviously, you can outfit this compartment any way you like based on your needs, equipment, etc. Here are some possible configurations I decided to show, as an AK underfolder is a perfect fit for the weapon sleeve. While it can be argued pro/con as to whether an AK with underfolder stock makes for an "ideal" bug out weapon, I think it makes for a good "demo" weapon for this pack, as most folks here have some familiarity with the AK's size (just under 27 inches with the underfolder in collapse mode), dimensions, etc. Of note, a carbine AR with collapseable stock will NOT fit within the confines of this compartment. I tried a Stag Arms AR with 16" barrel & collapseable stock, which is 32.5 inches from muzzle to buttstock when fully collapsed. As you can see, the muzzle protrudes roughly 2.5 inches above the top edge of the pack. While the weapon WILL FIT if you break it down to it's upper & lower parts, you cannot run the weapon in ready to go mode.
P1140315Medium.jpg

P1140323Medium.jpg

P1140312Medium.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't own (or have access to) a bolt rifle setup that utilizes either a folding chassis or stock. Trying to find one locally is what delayed this review for about a week. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity in the future to document fit for some of the more popular setups used here but right now it will be best to just use the dimensions & measurement provided to see whether your rig will fit.

Finally, here is a pic of of the pack fully loaded as is pictured above. As you can see, it carries & disguises the contents well.
P1140328Medium.jpg

Here's a list of what is inside:
--ONE: AK underfolder;
--ONE: 2 mag molle pouch;
--ONE: 3 mag molle pouch;
--TWO: 30-round AK mags;
--ONE: 3 Liter Hydration Bladder;
--ONE: Molle holster with Taurus PT-145 handgun;
--ONE: Zero Tolerance Combat Knife;
--ONE: Fenix LED TK15 Flashlight;
--ONE: Blow Out/Trauma Kit with QuikClot;

These components took up about half the overall capacity for the S34 pack. I would have more than adequate room for a few MRE packages, 200-300 rounds of 7.62 AK ammo, couple of ponchos, a fleece jacket, basic survival kit, 2 shirts/pants/underwear, etc. If one were to equip this pack as a range bag, you'd have no issue whatsoever replacing the "bug out" equipment for a portable gunsmith tool set, rangefinder, ammo, mags, etc. A spotter & tripod is easily affixed to the side of the pack.

Finally, one of the features that really sets this pack apart from anything similiar on the market is the harness system. The shoulder harness is fully adjustable to accomodate various torso lengths. Like other Eberlestock packs, the S34 Secret Weapon (and S25 Cherry Bomb) is designed to "ride high" like a mountaineering pack. The lumbar pad is large & designed to center the load over your hips. Used in tandem with the padded waist belt, it helps in alleviating the stress & fatigue that is created when the load is born at the shoulders. So, you can carry heavier loads more comfortably (and for longer periods of time) with this harness system. Stability is provided by both a plastic framesheet AND two vertically oriented aluminum stays. This lessens the load's movement and helps in keeping the weight off the shoulders. Again, there are no competitors that utilize such a system.

If I have one gripe with this pack, it has to do with accessing the main compartment while you're running a hydration bladder at the secondary compartment. There is a small hydration port at the top of the secondary compartment (merely a cutout for you to run the hose). If you're running the hose out of this compartment & securing the mouthpiece at the shoulder harness, then it makes it impossible to fully open the main compartment. You can unzip it, but it won't unfurl because the hose is in the way. You can avoid this problem by running the bladder at the lower sleeve in the main compartment, but then you'll need a longer hose and it will run out of the top of the compartment (no hydration port, so you can't zip the compartment closed and run the hose out). In my opinion, this is a design flaw but isn't a "deal killer".

In summary, I think this pack is in a class all it's own if you're living in an urban area where you don't want to around attention while you're transporting a weapon. It doesn't look like a gun case, yet it gives you a lot of the same features that you find in a drag bag, dedicated range bag, etc. In a "SHTF / Bug Out" application, it offers the same under the radar design yet provides enough capacity to accomodate the gear necessary if you find yourself in such a situation for 48-72 hours. There is even a built in rain fly at the bottom of the pack that can be engaged if needed, keeping both the survival contents & weapon dry. Eberlestock has a MAP price of $249.00 for the S25 Cherry Bomb and $329.00 for the S34 Secret Weapon. I think this is very reasonable when you consider the features, construction quality, and design. As far as accessories are concerned, you can consider the hydration bladders, 2 Liter Accessory Pouch (AN2P), Saddle Bag (A3SB), Airwave Pouch (A1AA), or the Small/Large Padded Accessory Pouch (A1MP or A2MP). However, you'll have to get either a Military Green / Urban Gray or Coyote Brown / Urban Gray version to get an accessory that somewhat matches the pack. Not a big deal at all with most folks, since the accessories will be inside the pack, but something to consider for a few users out there.

Thanks for taking the time to ready this review. Please feel free to get in touch anytime you have questions or are interested in picking up an S25 or S34. You can find these pack on deltaoutdoorsman.com by clicking the link HERE. I'll try to update this thread as feedback comes in from users in the field.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com
I know this is an old thread, but will this fit a broke down ar decently, the s34 that is? The dimensions seem like theyll fit from what the website says. I have a 16” barreled upper, with the length of the lower I know I would have to break it down. Is private compartment setup to handle that, Ie a divider to keep them from banging against each other? Or would I need to make my own divider? Thanks