• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

EBR questions

Outerspace

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Ok, the EBR/m14 is looking like the gun that will do what I need. I have been moving away from the AR platform for a while for a number of reasons, but haven't been real excited about the alternatives. I would go with an FN FAL right now but everyone complains about the accuracy. It seems like in 2010 you should be able to get under 2moa from a semi-auto without any problems.

What I am looking for is basically a Designated Marksman rifle. For me, I would use it for hog hunting (out to theoretically 250 yards or so), back woods bear self defense, and a SHTF 308 gun with a little better operational/performance overall than an AR platform weapon. I would be using an optic, either ACOG or Eotech, although I think mounting an ACOG would be tricky.

The EBR looks like it would get it done. I'm bringing my questions to the forum because I have spent some hours googling and haven't come up with much.

I of course found out about Sage, but their website isn't really helpful, and calling is getting some mixed results so far. But then again, I am trying to find out about other people building these in a backdoor manner, so FWIW.

My main questions are simply;

1) How many EBR builders are out there, and would people in the know post their leads and any experiences?

2) Can you build one of these yourself? How do you get started?

3) I've never fired an M14, do they have more or less recoil than any other 308 based rifle?

If I am going to get a modular rifle I would really like to know what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

Re: EBR questions

What barrel length and what variant of the SAGE EBR stock are you considering?
An 18.0" barreled action in a M14ALCS/CV is a great combination.

Mounting an EOTech is easy, the ACOG is problematic, but it can be done.

The M14HDW Forum is the largest internet forum dedicated to the Modernized M14 EBR - give it a look.

Outerspace,

H20 MAN is probably the M14 Guru of the internet so I would suggest you follow his advice, but I will give you a couple of options you may want to consider. As for your questions, Ill try to answer those as best I can as well...

1) How many EBR builders are out there, and would people in the know post their leads and any experiences?

There are a lot more than you may think. The EBR stock was originally a project to modernize the M14 platform for the military, but since then it has become an extremely popular modification.

2) Can you build one of these yourself? How do you get started?

Absolutely!!! There are a couple of places on the internet where you can go to in order to purchase your stock. The one I got my Navy Seal Gray EBR stock from was Clydes Armory. You may also want to put a little though into what variant of EBR you want. The Mod 0 is what I have and I feel has the most versatility, but the Mod 1 (with an M4 style butt stock) is a good option as well. I would start by deciding which one you want first. Get the stock, and then start working on the other parts from there. As H20 Man said, don`t skip out on quality if you can help it. These rifles are robust to say the least when you invest in quality, in-fact, most of the parts will last your lifetime with hard use.

I would go for Smith Enterprises Inc, and Sadlak Industries parts as many of them are better than USGI, other than that, USGI parts are always a plus. Do your research and make a plan to stick to with your build.
3) I've never fired an M14, do they have more or less recoil than any other 308 based rifle?

Honestly, I found that the M14/M1A series of rifles seem to have less although realistically its probably more ergonomics than anything. The recoil pad on the EBR stock makes it seem much less than with a USGI stock with the metal flip plate on it. I believe Springfield has rubber recoil pads on their M1As now as well. All in all I don`t really notice it when im shooting unless i switch to an AR or something like that and even then, its not by much. I know thats a lot of opinion in there but im sure someone else can chime in to confirm or deny.

4)If I am going to get a modular rifle I would really like to know what my options are.

As for stocks and options other than the EBR, there are a lot of options that enhance the rifle. Probably the most notable is the the Troy MCS stock. This makes it look a little more like an AR if your in to that sort of thing, and does a lot to combat muzzle rise, as well as makes for a very reliable package.

There are other stocks, that McMillan, Sadlak, and a couple others make that are decent, but IMO they aren`t that sexy either, nor do they generally increase accuracy beyond the point of making the experience just a little easier for the shooter.

There is another option as well, but it wont be available for a little while which is the Bulldog 762. Its a bull-pup stock for the M14/M1A series of rifles. It does require some rather out there modifications to the rifle however, and if you went this way I would suggest buying some spare parts.

Optics are sometimes a little different on the M14/M1a. For myself, I put a US Optics SN-4S on my rifle on top of a LaRue SPR-E mount, which I love. It simplified the process and is removable in a pinch if my optic gets fragged. Other than a mount like that there are several options available. I would suggest you visit the forum H20 was talking about and take a look at the options.

Its a great system, I will never get rid of mine, in fact, I am working on another one. A Smith Enterprises build. SEI receiver, and parts on EBR furniture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What barrel length and what variant of the SAGE EBR stock are you considering?
An 18.0" barreled action in a M14ALCS/CV is a great combination.</div></div>
I don't know enough yet to know as far as the kind of stock. I would think 18-20 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mounting an EOTech is easy, the ACOG is problematic, but it can be done.</div></div>
I would definitely want to know more. I much prefer the ACOG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M14HDW Forum is the largest internet forum dedicated to the Modernized M14 EBR - give it a look.</div></div>
Thanks, I had found that plus the SOPMOD forum, but what am looking for was not readily available. Was hoping for some short cuts. Will keep working.

Thanks for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outerspace,

H20 MAN is probably the M14 Guru of the internet so I would suggest you follow his advice, but I will give you a couple of options you may want to consider. As for your questions, Ill try to answer those as best I can as well...

There are a lot more than you may think. The EBR stock was originally a project to modernize the M14 platform for the military, but since then it has become an extremely popular modification.</div></div>
I would appreciate any links or names anyone may have so I can research. I agree that it is a really awesome modernization.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2) Can you build one of these yourself? How do you get started?

Absolutely!!! There are a couple of places on the internet where you can go to in order to purchase your stock. The one I got my Navy Seal Gray EBR stock from was Clydes Armory. You may also want to put a little though into what variant of EBR you want. The Mod 0 is what I have and I feel has the most versatility, but the Mod 1 (with an M4 style butt stock) is a good option as well. I would start by deciding which one you want first. Get the stock, and then start working on the other parts from there. As H20 Man said, don`t skip out on quality if you can help it. These rifles are robust to say the least when you invest in quality, in-fact, most of the parts will last your lifetime with hard use.

I would go for Smith Enterprises Inc, and Sadlak Industries parts as many of them are better than USGI, other than that, USGI parts are always a plus. Do your research and make a plan to stick to with your build.</div></div>
Thanks so much for the info. Will get to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3) I've never fired an M14, do they have more or less recoil than any other 308 based rifle?

Honestly, I found that the M14/M1A series of rifles seem to have less although realistically its probably more ergonomics than anything. The recoil pad on the EBR stock makes it seem much less than with a USGI stock with the metal flip plate on it. I believe Springfield has rubber recoil pads on their M1As now as well. All in all I don`t really notice it when im shooting unless i switch to an AR or something like that and even then, its not by much. I know thats a lot of opinion in there but im sure someone else can chime in to confirm or deny.</div></div>
Thanks. I can handle 30-06 pretty well, 308 really shouldn't be a problem, but the higher calibers I am more used to shooting prone. This gun I would want to be proficient in alternate positions, including standing, so recoil may become more of an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4)If I am going to get a modular rifle I would really like to know what my options are.

As for stocks and options other than the EBR, there are a lot of options that enhance the rifle. Probably the most notable is the the Troy MCS stock. This makes it look a little more like an AR if your in to that sort of thing, and does a lot to combat muzzle rise, as well as makes for a very reliable package.

There are other stocks, that McMillan, Sadlak, and a couple others make that are decent, but IMO they aren`t that sexy either, nor do they generally increase accuracy beyond the point of making the experience just a little easier for the shooter.

There is another option as well, but it wont be available for a little while which is the Bulldog 762. Its a bull-pup stock for the M14/M1A series of rifles. It does require some rather out there modifications to the rifle however, and if you went this way I would suggest buying some spare parts.

Optics are sometimes a little different on the M14/M1a. For myself, I put a US Optics SN-4S on my rifle on top of a LaRue SPR-E mount, which I love. It simplified the process and is removable in a pinch if my optic gets fragged. Other than a mount like that there are several options available. I would suggest you visit the forum H20 was talking about and take a look at the options.

Its a great system, I will never get rid of mine, in fact, I am working on another one. A Smith Enterprises build. SEI receiver, and parts on EBR furniture. </div></div>
Great information. Thanks to both of you, gives me a lot to research.

Any info anyone else may, please add. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outerspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocJekyll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Outerspace,

There are a lot more than you may think. The EBR stock was originally a project to modernize the M14 platform for the military, but since then it has become an extremely popular modification.</div></div>
I would appreciate any links or names anyone may have so I can research. I agree that it is a really awesome modernization.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2) Can you build one of these yourself? How do you get started?

I would go for Smith Enterprises Inc, and Sadlak Industries parts as many of them are better than USGI, other than that, USGI parts are always a plus. Do your research and make a plan to stick to with your build.</div></div>
Thanks so much for the info. Will get to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3) I've never fired an M14, do they have more or less recoil than any other 308 based rifle?

Honestly, I found that the M14/M1A series of rifles seem to have less although realistically its probably more ergonomics than anything. The recoil pad on the EBR stock makes it seem much less than with a USGI stock with the metal flip plate on it. I believe Springfield has rubber recoil pads on their M1As now as well. All in all I don`t really notice it when im shooting unless i switch to an AR or something like that and even then, its not by much. I know thats a lot of opinion in there but im sure someone else can chime in to confirm or deny.</div></div>
Thanks. I can handle 30-06 pretty well, 308 really shouldn't be a problem, but the higher calibers I am more used to shooting prone. This gun I would want to be proficient in alternate positions, including standing, so recoil may become more of an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4)If I am going to get a modular rifle I would really like to know what my options are.

Its a great system, I will never get rid of mine, in fact, I am working on another one. A Smith Enterprises build. SEI receiver, and parts on EBR furniture. </div></div>
Great information. Thanks to both of you, gives me a lot to research.

Any info anyone else may, please add. Thanks. </div></div>

Ive had a little bit of practice with almost every firing position and I can tell you it is really a great system for multiple positions, even shooting supine at times. A lot of guys dont run their guns as hard as you would think. Mines def not a safe queen. It spends more time out of the case than in it lol. Shes solid. I think you will be happy with whatever variant build of this weapon platform you decide to go with.