• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eclipse

ironman56

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I live in the center of the projected path of the eclipse coming up in April (lake Buchanan Texas) and the locals are going crazy, the range I'm a member of is hosting a four day concert with a shitload of bands , and are expecting 30k people to attend , so that's a concern for the folks living on that side of the lake , I'm on the otherside so not so much here, but the lake is down 18 feet so there's alot of exposed beach front between homes and the water , so people are worried that tourists will flock to these areas to camp or just day visit to watch the eclipse, I just can't see what all the hoopla is , it gets dart every fucking night for hours , what's the big deal about 4 minutes of darkness in the middle of the day, I realize it's a once in a lifetime event but geez , it's 4 fucking minutes.

Reactions: 1911hombre
Well people are stupid. I know people that are coming down from Minnesota for it. I'm up in Mills Co. we are supposed to have a shit load of idiots invade.

By the way I wish Buchanan would fill up so I can come chase the stripers.

It's gonna rain here, It's inevitable. Idiots (and LOTS of them) coming here are going to be pissed! Just sayin' :LOL: As for me... Smack dab in the path of totality (AR) so I'm just taking a few days off and sheltering in place.

I live in the center of the projected path of the eclipse coming up in April (lake Buchanan Texas) and the locals are going crazy, the range I'm a member of is hosting a four day concert with a shitload of bands , and are expecting 30k people to attend , so that's a concern for the folks living on that side of the lake , I'm on the otherside so not so much here, but the lake is down 18 feet so there's alot of exposed beach front between homes and the water , so people are worried that tourists will flock to these areas to camp or just day visit to watch the eclipse, I just can't see what all the hoopla is , it gets dart every fucking night for hours , what's the big deal about 4 minutes of darkness in the middle of the day, I realize it's a once in a lifetime event but geez , it's 4 fucking minutes.

Explanation of some of the weird effects that happen.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
You guys are harshing my buzz.

Of course astronomy was a minor in grad school

but yeah, people are batshit crazy for this and I don't understand why. Don't see them out in the cold looking for comets...
Btw we're getting a new star soon.

Wife and I are jumping in the plane and headed to see friends in Missouri. His farm is right in the path. We road tripped the last one to eastern Oregon. No crowds or festivals.....fuck that crazy shit. It's a novelty....mostly an excuse to go see some friends and new country. Some fishing and shooting to go along with it.

Have you ever seen one? If not, you are about to be blown away. Make sure you get some eclipse viewing glasses from Amazon. At full eclipse, it'll almost put ya on your knees. I've only seen one in my life, but HOLY SHIT!!! That sums it up. LOL

Reactions: earthquake
You guys are harshing my buzz.

Of course astronomy was a minor in grad school

but yeah, people are batshit crazy for this and I don't understand why. Don't see them out in the cold looking for comets...
Btw we're getting a new star soon.
We getting a supernova Doc? Betelgeuse is gonna pop any time now. LOL

I have a 10" Celestron I saved up for years ago. I have it out on a regular basis and have spotted many comets you can't see with binoculars. I like the Ring Nebula. Looks like a ghostly donut floating in outer space.

Reactions: Nik H
I looked at the flyer for the festival at range , out of 20 something bands playing I recognized one, so I assume most are new wave , steam punk or some weird shit type bands , I'll stay home. I was at the range last Thursday and it was already a cluster fuck. Looked like about 20 polaris sxs , 6 boom lifts 5or6 Tele fork lifts and all kinds of extra laborers around building shit , thought about offering to hire on for some extra $ , but been retired 8 yrs and probably would wuss out in 4 hrs , so fuck that , I'll be staying home for the eclipse maybe ride down to the beach if it's not too crowded, the local news says to stock up on groceries and gas 4 days ahead of the event so we'll see.

I looked at the flyer for the festival at range , out of 20 something bands playing I recognized one, so I assume most are new wave , steam punk or some weird shit type bands , I'll stay home. I was at the range last Thursday and it was already a cluster fuck. Looked like about 20 polaris sxs , 6 boom lifts 5or6 Tele fork lifts and all kinds of extra laborers around building shit , thought about offering to hire on for some extra $ , but been retired 8 yrs and probably would wuss out in 4 hrs , so fuck that , I'll be staying home for the eclipse maybe ride down to the beach if it's not too crowded, the local news says to stock up on groceries and gas 4 days ahead of the event so we'll see.
I'd be okay unless a bunch of hippies started showing up. Patchouli, weed, wacked out ideology and girls with hairy armpits torque me off with a quickness. I'm working on my patience and tolerance, but hippies light the fuse right out of the gate.

Yeah. If I'm directly "in the path," then I might make an effort to look at it safely. But why bother when it will be broadcast on TV/YouTube. I'm comfortable with looking at it that way. I certainly don't need to travel any significant distance to go see it. And, no, I'm not directly in the path of this one.

It's funny. I recall learning as a kid (not sure if it's actually true) about the Bible passage that speaks of the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. And when it says, "Now, from the 6th hour to the 9th hour, there was Rain/Darkness..." I was told one possible explanation for the "darkness" that lasted 3 hours was a Solar Eclipse. Probably would have to be a "direct hit" for that much darkness, but...

Again, not stating it as truth, but it was what I was taught.

I believe I was in grade 5 when the last full eclipse came by, and that was back in '78. Might have been '77, I can't remember for sure. They say it's a "once in a lifetime event" and I do remember a lot of talk about it,,,, but at the same time the next day it has about the same effect on a person's life as a witness to a train-crash, streaker on a ball diamond, or seeing a winner of the lottery in the newspaper.

Now, using the time as an excuse/reason to simply get together with friends and people that matter to you.... THAT is a whole different effect. Longer lasting, too.

So endeth my philosophicationing for the day.

You grumpy old bastards. Eclipses are cool.

1710972643369.png

I believe I was in grade 5 when the last full eclipse came by, and that was back in '78. Might have been '77, I can't remember for sure. They say it's a "once in a lifetime event" and I do remember a lot of talk about it,,,, but at the same time the next day it has about the same effect on a person's life as a witness to a train-crash, streaker on a ball diamond, or seeing a winner of the lottery in the newspaper.

Now, using the time as an excuse/reason to simply get together with friends and people that matter to you.... THAT is a whole different effect. Longer lasting, too.

So endeth my philosophicationing for the day.
This is the 3rd solar eclipse in this area in the past dozen years or so. I mentioned this one to my wife, and she said that there sure seem to be a lot of solar eclipses lately.

On that note, I just learned that somewhere on earth, there are 2 to 3 solar eclipses every year. I suppose that someone could make a hobby of solar eclipse chasing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Grim's Reapers
Getting closer to D day and the locals are getting antsy , I live on the lake across from the side where the big festival is taking place , with the lake being 20ft low there's alot of sandy beach between the water and lakefront homes , the locals are worried that out of towners will try to camp out in this area , personally idgaf, as long as they don't leave a shit ton of trash , might even make some money pulling stuck idiots out of the muck with my jeep , I found a listing of the bands playing at the festival four four days , sheeeeeet, that's a fuck load of bands.

Attachments

• 953785cb-texas-eclise-2024-lineup.jpg
    953785cb-texas-eclise-2024-lineup.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 49
Well if nothing else, at least an eclipse makes people think about our little corner of the solar system.

Do you have any idea how many people do not know, or are mistaken as to why the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West?
I'm not making this up. Go ahead and ask a few random people.

If you really want to throw them for a loop, ask what causes the Moon to have phases.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Getting closer to D day and the locals are getting antsy , I live on the lake across from the side where the big festival is taking place , with the lake being 20ft low there's alot of sandy beach between the water and lakefront homes , the locals are worried that out of towners will try to camp out in this area , personally idgaf, as long as they don't leave a shit ton of trash , might even make some money pulling stuck idiots out of the muck with my jeep , I found a listing of the bands playing at the festival four four days , sheeeeeet, that's a fuck load of bands.
Is that exposed land Corp land? If so not a lot the homeowners can do (legally) besides be annoying so they leave and or take pics/video if they trash it. They have a right to be there as much as on the lake. Part of the fun of owning lake or riverfront depending on the lake/state/property

Is that exposed land Corp land? If so not a lot the homeowners can do (legally) besides be annoying so they leave and or take pics/video if they trash it. They have a right to be there as much as on the lake. Part of the fun of owning lake or riverfront depending on the lake/state/property
Actually just about all the land past peoples back yards belongs to THE LCRA, a state agency that manages the lake system in the area , but they don't have that many Rangers(as they call them ) so enforcement of no camping laws will be iffy , it'll be interesting.

I mean I thought the last one was a bit lackluster in 2017 but we were only like 60% or something like that. We were in an offshore tournament and it was basically like wearing sunglasses without having them on.

The one neat thing was the change in light caused a big eye tuna bite as they typically feed at dusk and dawn so when the light started to fade they came up in the middle of the day.

Long range weather forecast calls for cloudy, overcast sky's and 30% chance of rain in my area , so the crowds, if they show , might be disappointed, I could care less., there is a brown dog in the blue bonnets though !!!!

Attachments

• 20240401_095044.jpg
    20240401_095044.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 35
Eclipse specific location T-shirts and stuff are bringing in big $$. ALL about the $$. Motel 6 rooms $600.00+ locally.….yeah right. 🫣
Will have fuel and chow…and Beer of course. All for 5 minutes of darkness. 🥱

In 2009? Me, my daughter & a buddy drove 1200 miles to watch something that took thirty seconds. We watched the space shuttle take off. Never again.

I don't see the big deal, you can watch it on the internet, just like shooting games on X-Box.

I'll be in the path when we travel to see my new Great Grand Son :)
Just happens to be timed right.

Fucking people! Close your eyes.....ta-da....totality!

We are fucked as a species! When is the big asteroid coming?

If we go back and look at history to eclipses and significant events afterwards....We may not have to wait long.

It's not permitted to chat about on here, but IDGAF:

God hold's the reins on the sun and the moon. And when these type of eclipses happen, there is usually an event from God that closely follows. What that looks like is unknown to every man and women. But, wouldn't hurt to stock up on water if there's an earth quake to follow. Eclipses cross over in Turkey, followed closely with earthquakes.

Could be correlated. Also not. Have some spare water either way. 3 days after the eclipse is when I'll be waiting for something or nothing at all

I live smack in rrhe middle of this shit right on the filthy Lake Erie near Avon lake shithole. I hope it rains. People are already putting up fences and no trespassing signs which are the same libtards that voted the clown to let in the illegal aliens in but wants nothing to do with outsiders. I be sitting on my porch with my Dax’s shotgun in case these stupid tourists err terrorists try to park where they are not supposed to. 😳😂

As I've stated before, my only reservation about being somewhere in the path of totality of the eclipse are the hippies.

Those dumpster fires gravitate to things such as an eclipse, Indian gurus, hummus, acid and most anything that rings nonsensical. And women with hairy armpits, for some reason, I can't unsee.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Dang, I was heading that way to camp in your yard, but I can take a hint. I'll just stay home... I work 12 hours every Sunday night, pretty sure I'll sleep through it, unless my little dog wakes me to go out, might look through a welding hood, they say even that's marginal? Shade 5 cutting glasses under the hood??

Well, I guess I’m one of the hippies. I drove from Louisiana the Kentucky, in 2017, to see the last eclipse. My son and I had a great weekend together, enjoying something we’re both interested in. My sisters, in Arkansas, are directly under the middle of the path for this one, so we’ll drive up Saturday, and spend the weekend with my sisters and my kids. Even if it rains as predicted, it’s going to be a good weekend.

And honestly, a total solar eclipse is one of the coolest natural phenomenons that we can witness. And since I’ll be dead when the next one rolls around, I’m going to enjoy this one…if I get to see it. Stupid clouds….

Reactions: Sandhog308
If it wasn't for family in the path I probably would not travel to see it.
But, I like taking pictures and this will be fun. I'll have a fenced in back yard to set up camera/scope.
Shot a couple pics of the partial we had at our house.

I'm gonna go to town tomorrow and stock up on groceries and bourbon, just incase the crowds do show up, I'll also fill the tank on the jeep so I can cruise the beach, with the lake 20ft low you can drive for miles without any gates or blocked access , probably end up pulling some stuck fools out of the muddy sand , who knows might even meet my next exwife.hairy armpit hippies need not apply.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen one? If not, you are about to be blown away. Make sure you get some eclipse viewing glasses from Amazon. At full eclipse, it'll almost put ya on your knees. I've only seen one in my life, but HOLY SHIT!!! That sums it up. LOL

I have and it's not worth looking up. Yay, it got kinda dark for a few minutes.... Who cares?

I guess I fail to get all hot and sweaty about celestial events that are happening constantly and we have zero control over.