• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Ed Shell, CVT, lodging

BusterB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
Bristol, VA
Going to see Ed in Louisa Oct 6,7,8. Just checking to see if anyone knew of any hidden gems to stay at. Doesn't have to be super fancy, clean is a must, wireless internet would be super. Thanks

Re: Ed Shell, CVT, lodging

ask Ed. Ed will have a great spot at a good price.
Have a great time!

Yeah, he sent me a good list, looking for reviews or suggestions essentially now. Figured I may find a lil jewell hidden away from someone on here.

Found this from an AAR on one of Ed's classes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stayed at the Ginger hill B&B. The proprietors were VERY nice, keep a spotlessly clean place on a nice little property, were fine with bringing our rifles in, and make a delicious breakfast each morning. </div></div>

Also found this info from Ed on another board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For reference, operations are centered on Louisa, VA. Here is what we have and anyone with experience with these places could certainly chime in:

Christopher Run Campground (& cabins): Just what it sounds like, and a straight shot into Mineral. No one has stayed there w/o actually camping, but I have two students taking a cabin there tonight, so I'll know more soon.

ETA: 'Cabins were laughingly described as 'plywood tents' by my students these past few days. Quite primitive, but affordable. Look at it like you're still camping, but there is no actual tent to erect and there is a heater-A/C unit. No running water in the cabin.

Lake Anna Lodge (& hillbilly bar): Again, just about what it sounds like. Probably about the cheapest place to stay and generally gets favorable comments prefaced by "Considering the cost...". Negative comments have been that the owners can sometimes be hard to find after hours (they live there though), that one of the rooms smelled 'musty', and that the hillbilly bar can be loud on the weekends. Quite a few people have also said the bar serves a decent dinner.

Lighthouse Inn: A little nicer, quieter, and most of the rooms have a view of the real lake. I didn't get the exact price from the several parties that stayed there, but comments were universally favorable.

Ginger Hill B&B: Close by, very friendly atmosphere, gun tolerant. Favorable comments from several students.

Boxly Inn B&B: Historic, upscale, spendy, but VERY nice. Be sure to specify "shared bath" or not.

Further out, there are a couple 'name brand' motels with places to eat nearby, but drive times to our meeting points will be 25-30 minutes:

Holiday Inn Express, Orange: Just like every other HIE, and I have a few agencies that stay there because billing back is easy. Orange has a few restaurants in town, so it's easy to find dinner, etc..

Best Western, Zions Crossroads: Near the famous SuperWalMart, but otherwise much like any other BW. "Crossroads" is an accurate description of this local attraction and pretty much sums it up. There is a WalMart, Lowes, I-Hop, the motel and a couple misc. strip mall shops. Seems like most of my couples end up here, due to the I-Hop.

Hope this helps!
</div></div>

My wife and I stayed at the Mayhurst Inn B&B last month when I shot with Ed. Loved it. We'll go back the next time I've got a class with him. By the way, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Pickett all spent the night at the Mayhurst during the Civil War. Very cool history. Oh, and the breakfast is killer.

Check on hotels.com for what the best rate is, then call the proprietors. They'll give you a break on the price. Here's the Mayhurst Inn.

The nicest and closest place is probably zions crossroads at the best western. It's a little bit higher than some of the others but newer by a lot over the lake anna lodge, lighthouse inn, rebel or whatever they call the little place in louisa now. I've stayed at most of them when working up there and If the best western is too expensive then the lake anna lodge would be next.

Bumpass is a real town with B&L country store, 33 quik mart and a log yard/fuel place. They have pretty good coffee and did have a decent tenderloin biscuit in the morning.

Thanks mdavlee, that helps a bunch...ps. tenderloin biscuits are my favorite, will have to check em out