• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Edge to Edge Problems w/Viper PST

XRAY110

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Arkansas
I recently got my 6-24x50 FFP Viper PST. I fell in love with it after first glance. The glass was super clear and bright, and I also loved the EBR reticle. Mounted it up on the .30-06 with some Burris XTR rings and was zeroed in about 4 shots. The mil readings were matching up perfectly with the turret adjustments and all was well. I am working on some new reloads so I only shot about 20 rounds with it. It sat for another couple weeks until my 20 MOA rail came in. I switched rails and remounted the scope. I got a few more reloads made up and ran out to the shootin table. While I was getting my position built I began realizing that I could not get edge to edge clarity. Eye relief was perfect, so that was not an issue. When I would get lined up with my usual stock weld the right side edge was sharp and clear from about 2 o'clock to 7 o'clock. I was convinced that it was my eyes freaking me out so I had my girlfriend's dad take a look. He got the same result. I tried calling Vortex CS and had to leave a "detailed" message. I have heard only good about them so I hope to hear something back quickly. I guess I am just checking to see if there is anyone else out there that has had a similar problem. Hopefully Vortex will take care of me and have me fixed up before I take a trip out to Wyoming at the first of September to do a bunch of shooting. I have to say I'm pretty pissed that I threw out nearly a grand on scope that survived all of about 30 rounds, but I guess as long as Vortex holds up their end of the deal I'll be happy in the end.

Garrett

Re: Edge to Edge Problems w/Viper PST

If you are not close to mechanical zero you will have that problem with the PST. Try dialing your scope to the center of the adjustment range and see if it goes away.

I had the same problem with mine when I mounted it on a rifle that had rings out of alignment. Spoke to someone at Vortex and they said that it was a design compromise. With mine I would start to notice it when I dialed about 4 mils any direction.

Not sure that I am making any sense here but that sounds like your problem to me. If that is not it then you might have a bad scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al22300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are not close to mechanical zero you will have that problem with the PST. Try dialing your scope to the center of the adjustment range and see if it goes away.

I had the same problem with mine when I mounted it on a rifle that had rings out of alignment. Spoke to someone at Vortex and they said that it was a design compromise. With mine I would start to notice it when I dialed about 4 mils any direction.

Not sure that I am making any sense here but that sounds like your problem to me. If that is not it then you might have a bad scope.</div></div>

+1, with the 20MOA rail on my rifle, if I have it on a low power at my 100y zero, I "lose" the top edge of my image. If I zoom into a higher power or dial up 4-5 mils it goes away.

It's a design compromise with these scopes that happens when you are at the edge of the adjustment range in any direction and set at a lower power.

A rail with less "up" might alleviate the issue somewhat, if you don't need the full 20MOA (try a 10MOA maybe?).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1, with the 20MOA rail on my rifle, if I have it on a low power at my 100y zero, I "lose" the top edge of my image. If I zoom into a higher power or dial up 4-5 mils it goes away.

It's a design compromise with these scopes that happens when you are at the edge of the adjustment range in any direction and set at a lower power.</div></div>

I put a 20MOA base under my Monarch 5-20x44 last night, and I noticed a similar phenomenon...

Talked to Vortex on Monday after checking the replies and we came to the same conclusion. My problem was some hardened loctite under the new rail. Didn't even think about it, but when I laser bore sighted after putting it on, I put about 4 mils on my windage and was out at the edge of the adjustment. Dialed the scope back to about the middle of adjustment and the shadow went away. Got the loctite removed from under the rail and remounted everything. After laser bore sighting once more it only took about .9 mils to get centered up. I still have a small amount of shadow at the top from the 20 MOA base, but it does disappear with a little magnification. So problem solved and my scope is fine! Vortex CS=A++. Super good people.

To expand on this question, since I'm looking at this scope: Is this issue only noticeable at low magnification? In other words, if I'm shooting at long distance (lots of elevation dialed) but I'm also at 15-max magnification, will I notice this?

Thanks.

There are reasons some scopes cost 2500.00 plus and some go for 700.00. No free lunch

I would work around the not perfect edge to edge clarity issue and be happy

for what I do, the edge clarity isn't a big deal. I dial my drop and shoot using the crosshair, not the edge. As long as I can see my target clearly and the scope tracks well, I have no gripes.