• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM Arms M96 in 50 BMG or XM in 408 CT ?

s2324

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
Kansas
I am looking at purchasing either the M96 in 50BMG or the XM series in .408CT round. I will have this rifle for awhile and wanted to look into the crystal ball and want to see if the .408 will be king and leave the .50 in the dust. I like the .50 round and that is the way I am leaning, but open to suggestions.

I am looking for accuracy with price in mind. Is the .408 that much more for quality components?

Your advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott E.

Re: EDM Arms M96 in 50 BMG or XM in 408 CT ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s2324</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wanted to look into the crystal ball and want to see if the .408 will be king and leave the .50 in the dust.

Scott E.</div></div>

Scott:

Your crystal ball needs to be returned back to its' place of purchase!!! The 408 DID leave the 50 in the dust in regards to ballistics, etc...But...and its' a BIG but....The 408 has already been left in the dust too!!!

The 375/408 took top of hill a few years back.

Thanks

If your goal is ELR shooting, both will cost about the same to feed and it will be expensive. The high performance solids needed for the .408 are about $2ea and while you can shoot cheaper jacketed lead bullets in a .50BMG, you're not going to get beyond 2000 yards accurately without moving up to higher quality (and more expensive bullets).

The .408 is MUCH more pleasant to shoot than a .50BMG but honestly some people just like having a .50BMG because it goes BOOM a hell of a lot louder. If that's important to you, then by all means head down the .50BMG road. Personally, I think .50BMG is best suited for military applications where you need either high mass bullets (ie stopping vehicles) or payload capabilities (for HTI missions). The .408 will get you farther and more accurate easier than .50BMG in that regard.

That said, as Later mentioned, the .408CT has been eclipsed by the .375CT - which stays supersonic out to 2800 yards vs 2250. Getting a Windrunner in .375 is a challenge though. If you realistically think you'll be shooting beyond 2000 yards regularly, then by all means go for the .408 - it's a VERY fun cartridge to work with. However, if you're honestly going to be staying under 2k, I would suggest moving down to a .338 Lapua Magnum.

One more important thing to consider is hand loads. If you do not already make your own match ammo, then the .50BMG is a better option as there is a WIDE variety of factory ammo available. The list of .408 factory ammo is fairly limited and expensive and the same goes for .338LM (though there are some less expensive options showing up these days). If you do your own hand loads though, keep in mind that .338LM can be loaded on much of the same gear as you would use for other rifle calibers. Moving up to .408 or especially .50BMG requires MUCH bigger everything - that means new press, trimmer, priming setup, etc.

Just stuff to think about.

Order the M-96 in .408 later you can get a barrel and bolt for .50 cal.

The following calibers are available for the M-96 with a barrel and bolt change.
.338 LM
.408 CT
.416 Barret
.50 BMG
.510 DTC

1000 yds,
I just had that same idea of ordering the 408 in M96 but was not sure if EDM Arms will be good with that. I will have to find out.

Dogtown,
I do not have reloading equipment as of yet, so hope to buy what I need to cover 408 ad 50.

THanks,
Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s2324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000 yds,
I just had that same idea of ordering the 408 in M96 <span style="font-weight: bold">but was not sure if EDM Arms will be good with that</span>. I will have to find out.

Dogtown,
I do not have reloading equipment as of yet, so hope to buy what I need to cover 408 ad 50.

THanks,
Scott</div></div>
Not sure what you mean by that. It is advertised and regularly done. I think you need to see if you will be OK with the weight of either one. The M96 (I have one in DTC) is pretty darn heavy. You would need a pack mule if you plan on hiking with it. I think if you want multi caliber it is the shit, as the biggest advantage is using a single high end scope for all calibers with nothing more than a dope adjust. That would save you at least $1,000 or more per caliber.

s2324
I have a M96 in 50 BMG. Would recommend that over th 408 action. In terms of reloading equipments for the 50 BMG, or 408 CT, be prepare to shell out a fair amount to get things started. Keep in mind that buy once cry once.

If you get the 408 action it is lighter than the 96 action and if you get the 50 barrel for it it will be a single shot.

I have a M-96 in .338 LM and .408 CT, yes it is heavy 34 Lbs. but my options are open to all other calibers including wildcats and one scope for all is nice.

Here is something, EDM built an M-96 in .308 for a older shooter that due to health problems could not endure any recoil at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a M-96 in .338 LM and .408 CT, yes it is heavy 34 Lbs. but my options are open to all other calibers including wildcats and one scope for all is nice.

Here is something, EDM built an M-96 in .308 for a older shooter that due to health problems could not endure any recoil at all.</div></div>
That must feel like a .22 CB cap in a bench gun.

Great info evryone. I will contact EDM Arms to talk over the details. I think I will stay with the M96 base as it gives me the most options to include differnet calibers with magazine capability.

THanks,
Scott