• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM Arms XM408 trigger is crap!

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
I tried adjusting the factory trigger in my EDM Arms XM408 for hours today and I have decided it needs to go!
What trigger should I get?
I was looking at jewell but can't figure out which one to get.

Thanks for the help!

Re: EDM Arms XM408 trigger is crap!

You're right. I replaced mine with a Timney I believe and it is adequate. My recollection is that it is a standard rem700 trigger but if I'm wrong I'm sure that will be pointed out shortly.

Thanks for the reply, I can't believe they put a trigger in their rifle like this! It looks a little different than the 700 triggers I have seen I think.

Thanks GOLDBEACHMAN, on the second link it says someone's stock trigger is 2 pounds! What am I doing wrong?

Really can't say what you're doing wrong, if anything. You might just have a trigger that is determined to be shitty no matter what. Happens. I think your idea of replacing the trigger is a good one but that doesn't necessarily mean with a Jewell. Don't get me wrong, I have jewell triggers in some guns and they are excellent, but, its an endless debate. Others I have are gunsmithed old school 700's and they are great as well. I do like having a lighter and crisp trigger pull on the 408 though given its slightly greater recoil and pressure wave. Waiting around on a heavy trigger pull given what you know is about to come is not conducive to good shooting, imho. Good luck!

I don't know if Bill Richie offers it anymore, but traditionally he's had a set trigger option for his rifles that a lot of shooters swear by. It would be good to give him a call.

Definately, call Bill before you do anything. My SS-99 has trigger issues. Its trigger looks like a Remington Walker trigger. Bill told me they will take care of it, but if I want a different trigger, it will require modification to the bolt. Yours may be the same.

Thanks for the advise guys, I am going to Wyoming on Thursday so I am running out of time. I can either put the factory trigger back in for now or expedite ordering a drop in replacement.

While I am asking questions, doesn't this factory bipod cant? It does me no good in the field if it doesn't. I sure can't seem to figure it out!

I just installed a bottom safety Jewell but you will have to machine the gaurd a little bit so the safety will clear. The EDM rifles will accept Rem 700 style triggers. This makes two different EDM`s that I have changed the triggers on. First one was 6 pound pull. Second was around 5 pounds. Bill said they would come to me around 2 pounds but I think his trigger pull gauge is way off.

It will but you have to cut the safety off and make it longer to get thru the hole in the action.

No but you could modify it. The Jewell safety and the Factory Rem 700 safety is nothing alike.

I bet edm buys take off triggers from the hide (hahaha)

My Windrunner has the Kepplinger set trigger that Bill installed and it is fantastic. The thing I really like is you have to manhandle the bolt a little when chambering (this isn't a .22) and if you have to light of a trigger there is always that chance of a misfire. that is why the set trigger is so nice. The set portion on mine feels like ounces not pounds.

Bill at EDM tuned the Rem trigger on my Windrunner while the rifle was in his shop for upgrade work. It now breaks beautifully at 2.5 lbs, and is probably worth having him take a look at it before replacing it.

I ended up ordering a Jewell hvm and am working on designing and building a safety switch that will work with the edm receiver. I figured the shipping alone to edm and back would cost me more than a Jewell so I would give it a try first.

Is it for the top safety Jewell?! That would make my life a lot easier!
Why aren't you using it, do you not like it? Do you have a picture of it?

The safety I have came from a 408 EDM with factory Rem 700 trigger. You could cut the safety I have and weld it to the Jewell that way it would stick through the hole in receiver. I went with bottom safety Jewell as I think the safety is to far out of the way where Bill puts them. My hand never has to leave grip to work safety.

Oh I see. I have that same safety that came with the gun. Thanks for the offer though.