• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM Arms XM408

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
Hey guys,
I just got a good deal on a never fired edm arms xm 408 and I couldn't resist! I useually do my research before I buy, but i didn't this time. I have heard good things about Bill and edm arms for years now, but never much about his rifles. Any past or current owners here with first hand experience? is this a good rifle system? I hope so... I have a 260, 308, 2 50 cals, but this will be my first experience with 408.

Thanks!

Re: EDM Arms XM408

Don't know shit about them, other than they sure do look cool.

I am going to get the components and dies here in the near future. I hope this thing shoots well!

I have 2 of them as we speak. One of them shoots the Rocky Mountain 420gr bullet around 3/4-1" at 200yds. The other is unfired. When I received them (new from EDM), trigger pull was around 7pounds and they come with the POS x-mark trigger. Take the trigger out, throw in trash, and get bottom safety Jewell. Customer service has been great. Bill is GTG.

I can't speak to the 408 variant, but I have nothing but praise for my 50BMG Windrunner and EDM Arms.

Also I had an issue (my fault) about a year ago on Labor Day and called to leave a message for them to get back with me the next day. Bill called me back within 15 minutes FROM HIS BARBECUE!!! He and Robert Gradous are the two most passionate people I have come into contact in this game and I am honored to have dealt with both!

You will not be able to go below .338LM in that receiver. Bill can make you conversions for .338LM & .50BMG to compliment the .408, but that's pretty much it. It's a great platform, though the .408CT has been pretty much superseded by the .375CT - better ballistics and more bullet choices.

RND makes a fantastic barrel shroud/bipod assembly to makes the XM04 far more stable and easier to shoot accurately.

Edm told me the barrel shroud/bipod messes with the barrel harmonics and hurts accuracy. I was unhappy to hear that because I really wanted it! Are you not being affected by it?

On the 2 I have, one has the barrel/shroud and the best accuracy I got was 3/4-1" at 200yds. I don`t think that is very good considering the price of the gun. The other has the standard EDM bipod. Bill said to take the shroud off so I probably will and see what happens. Just received the other one so I haven`t shot it but I noticed today that the safety doesn`t work. First one I received had trigger problems and had to send bolt back to get cocking piece angle changed. When I got bolt back, trigger pull was still 7pounds. I threw trigger in trash and put in different trigger. Trigger pins are loose on new one. I think the quality is going down hill as the older ones is made much better.

What powder is everyone using? I'm using the "standard" RL-25 @ 125.0 grains and was wondering what else works with 400 and 419 grain bullets.

Well if I get 1/2 to 1 inch groups at 200 yards I will be ecstatic! That is .25 to .5 Moa. That is the best I have ever gotten out of my best shooting rifles. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with yours, makes me a little nervous...

408 Cheytac-131grs Retumbo, 420gr Rocky Mountain bullet. Fed 215 primer, Jamison brass.

So any other feedback on the RND hand guard with the extended bipod affecting accuracy?

It didn't affect accuracy from my experience. Granted, it hooks into the barrel nut, not directly to the receiver, so it's conceivable that it could have "some" effect on the barrel compared to just having the standard configuration. To mitigate any effect, the handle can be added, which connects to the receiver and aids in rigidity.

I actually noticed an increase in accuracy for the simple fact that moving the bipod forward of the center of gravity made for a much more stable platform than the standard configuration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNENTHUSIAST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if I get 1/2 to 1 inch groups at 200 yards I will be ecstatic! That is .25 to .5 Moa. That is the best I have ever gotten out of my best shooting rifles. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with yours, makes me a little nervous... </div></div>

Well, he did say 3/4 at 200....... But either way, that is under 1/2 MOA. I don't see how anyone can complain about that.

Congratulations

Just out of curiosity, what was the lead time on the Windrunner?

Would adding the RND Handguard and keeping EDM's upgraded swivel bipod, mess with barrel harmonics and accuracy?

Last edited:
I have the single shot variant, the EDM SS-97 in .408. IIRC, my most accurate loading in 129.5gr of RL-25, 419gr TSI Armory bullet, Jamison brass.

To "save money" , EDM was nice enough to make me a .338LM conversion (barrel, bolt).

The quality of the machining is second to none and their customer service is pretty damn awesome.

In regards to the bipod, I recently recieved a letter from EDM announcing a new bipod system for the Windrunners. It uses the existing M60 type bipod and requires some work to your receiver so you need to send it in. Mr. Ritchie did mention something about the previous free float system still effecting barrel harmonics. The price is $499 plus $100 shipping.

Thanks John..

I think I saw a video of his son illustrating the new swivel bipod, I still have some time to decide.. I don't want to have to send the receiver back if I do go with the swivel bipod upgrade. I ordered an XM .408 from Mr. Ritchie last week. I was so excited about the purchase, that I forgot what he said about the lead time. I don't want to bother him just yet because I know he is a busy man. I'll wait to see if I go with the bipod upgrade to ask him since I have to call that in…

Mr. Ritchie did tell me about the harmonic issue with the hand guard. I am trying to fight the urge, but RND's products look so good!!!!! One thing above all, I will not do anything to hurt the accuracy of this rifle. I don't want to take away from it being a true Windrunner. I need to decide, one or the other…

You have to love this thing of ours…

Like alway Be Safe...