• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM M98 338 LM?

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Okay, so this is my thought process. Im looking for a 338 LM. Now I want this gun for both hunting and long range shooting/ competitions. Im thinking of going with the EDM M98. The reason for this is its quick change barrel system, bolt action, and mag fed.

I'd like to get the gun with two barrels. One for throwing some high class hollow points and another for shooting heavy competition rounds. Im thinking of something around 300gr, maybe GS Customs 295gr.

What are your guys impressions on this? Will the 295's/300's even fit in the magazines?

*How does the M98 handle in cold weather? Do the mags stick, the bolt freeze? Im from Michigan so this could be a deal killer if they do. I also plan on taking the rifle to Alaska for large game up there.

I also saw another post on here where a guy had a EDM M96 done up with RND barrel sleeve and bipod. I like this, but does RND make something like this for the M98? I checked there website, but couldn't find anything.

*Does RND make a square tube, like the one Badger makes for there AR's?

Here is the other thread so you can see what im talking about.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1554076&page=1

Thanks in advance,

Re: EDM M98 338 LM?

RND could probably make you a setup like I had on my .408. But honestly, I think the EDM action is just too beefy for a round like .338LM. It's essentially a scaled down .50BMG action made from an aluminum billet. On top of that, that configuration isn't something I'd want to lug around unless it was taken down to barrel/receiver pack.

I think a better choice is a DTA SRS in .338LM It's such a well balanced rifle with excellent ergonomics - I'd lug one on a hunt any day. And you could probably get one quite a bit cheaper than a Windrunner.

Take this one, for example - complete kit with top of the line components for about what I paid for my base Windrunner a few years ago:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...;Words=DTA&

Sorry, I might be a little biased
wink.gif

Oh yeah, that is a nice package man. Damn

I thought of that rifle before, so i see your point. I just never seen one done up so well.

Does DTA make there barrels with different spins? Well i guess first i should ask, what the standard rifling on it is?

Also how is that split bipod? Does it self level the rifle?

I think all of their .338LM barrels are 1:10, but you might call them to see if they can do a specific twist. The bipod is a custom job RND did for me late last year. It doesn't have spring loaded leg adjustment, just tension. In those pics it's extended quite a bit, but normally I would have it barely extended, then twist the know half-way on the leg to loosen the adjustment, move the rifle around until it's level on the surface, then tighten the leg.

Yeah, Im still thinking hard on the M98. I just need my questions answered along with a couple more I just thought of.

How does the M98 handle in cold weather? Do the mags stick, the bolt freeze? Im from Michigan so this could be a deal killer if they do. I also plan on taking the rifle to Alaska for large game up there.

Does RND make a square tube, like the one Badger makes for there AR's?

I put this question back up at the top too.