• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM SS-97 .338LM/.408CT

John D.

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2010
CT
Since January, I've refocused my shooting away from carbines and more toward long and reaaaalllly long distance shooting. As such, I was carbineless (?) for a couple of months until I figured out that a .408CT is good for home defense for probably only one shot. Granted, what a shot but still only one.
laugh.gif
(I have since recovered a carbine).

Since .408CT is pretty spendy even with my reloading system up and running, I wanted a "cheaper to shoot" round for this system. Yeah, yeah, stop laughing. .338LM is less expensive and can be found in gunshops pretty easily around here. Reloading it as I do makes it even cheaper.

Bill Ritchie of EDM Arms was nice enough to make a new .338LM barrel, bolt and barrel nut for this system. Took a couple of months and was $2k. Barrel is properly headspaced and it pretty sporty looking with its longitudinal fluting. Both barrels have excellent muzzle brakes.

This reciever will actually accept .50 BMG as well which I may do someday as that would allow me to decrease shooting costs even more for plinking ammo. From what I read, the .375CT is the new big boy on the block and while it can be done, I'm sticking with .408 for now.

With glass being so incredibly spendy, it's nice to be able to use one scope. For this particular application, I'm using a Leupold Mk4 8.5-25 LRT with their Tactical Milling Reticle. On top in the Barrett BORS system, into which I downloaded all of the performance data from my various .338 and .408 loads.

I'm taking the whole ball of wax to upstate NY in a couple of weeks to try my hand at two ranges. One goes to 900 yds and the other to over 2300 yds. I think that should do nicely. Full report with pics soon.

EDMSS-97001.jpg

EDMSS-97002.jpg

EDMSS-97003.jpg

EDMSS-97004.jpg

EDMSS-97005.jpg

EDMSS-97006.jpg

EDMSS-97007.jpg

EDMSS-97008.jpg

Re: EDM SS-97 .338LM/.408CT

Is that a 408 CT receiver? It looks a little bit smaller than the M96 receiver for the 50 BMG. How does it shoot? Been thinking about adding the 408 CT barrel and bolt to my 50 BMG receiver to complete the collection.

O...M...G...!

What a beauty! I am in the makings of having its smaller twin built, the nemesis .308
laugh.gif

Plan on getting the .338 off EDM down the track at some point, I agree about the .408 round it has a HELL of a ballistics but its also got a HELL of a price -_-

What's the general ballpark for these? Also would they make one of these in possibly .300 Win Mag?

For the 408 CT, and 50 BMG, they are about 6K. For the 338LM is a little bit less.

It left EDM as a .408 CT rifle and is marked as such on the receiver.

When I traded for the rifle, it had 36 rounds down the tube. It came with dies, about 200 TTI Armory brass casings and about 180 400gr and 419gr TTI solids.

I shot 20 factory Cheytac 419gr rounds just for hahas as the range was only 100 yds. It was a waste of money but it was a ton of fun. It is a ridiculously accurate rifle but again it was only 100 yds. Next month I will have a couple of ranges from 900 to 2300 yds which I am really looking forward to.

The mat is an Eaqle Hybrid Sniper Bag from Steve at Triad Tactical. It is an awesome piece of kit. The SS-97 will not fit with the scope mounted. I just used it for the pics.

Grew tired of the ARs but not tired of the multicam I see
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grew tired of the ARs but not tired of the multicam I see
wink.gif
</div></div>

Can't expect me to quit everything cold turkey.
grin.gif
Baby steps....baby steps

If you have a 408 CT receiver, don't think you are able to get a barrel and bolt for the 50 BMG. I may be wrong, but that was the reason why I got the 50 BMG receiver instead.

Mr. Ritchie told me on the phone it was doable. But it is kind of moot as my range has special rules regarding 50BMG that I don't feel like dealing with.

Spent the past couple of nights reloading and can't wait to stretch its legs.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a 408 CT receiver, don't think you are able to get a barrel and bolt for the 50 BMG. I may be wrong, but that was the reason why I got the 50 BMG receiver instead. </div></div>
I was also told this. i believe conndcj misunderstood when he talked to Mr. Ritchie.

Wouldn't be the first time I fumbled the ball.
grin.gif
I ask him again some time.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain some of Bill's customers have ordered XM04 receivers and .50BMG barrels in the past. The only limitation is they cannot be mag fed (moot point on this rifle anyway).