• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

educate me on slings. please !

H_Talon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2012
lost wages, nv (Vegas Baby :-)
I'm looking for a sling for my XLR stocked Remmy 7mm-08..

I haven't done any LR shooting since I left the Marines (don't ask how long ago that was)
since things change the old way may not be the best way ...

so .. I'm looking for a carry sling that I can use for a hasty cuff for shooting ..

I'm in process of putting together my kit so suggestions would help ..

thanks ...

Talon

What kind of shooting do you plan on using your rifle for? Any of our slings will work just fine but I could attempt to recommend one model over another if, for example, you'll use it mainly for hunting, versus match type shooting.

Talon what do you plan on doing or what type of shooting do you do. I have been thru almost every sling out there and to be honest I always keep going back to the TIS Quick Cuff. It is a great carry sling, it is a great positional sling and it doesn't slip or move and does what I need it to do.

For the money it is affordable and does the job.

Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff Sling

Talon what do you plan on doing or what type of shooting do you do. I have been thru almost every sling out there and to be honest I always keep going back to the TIS Quick Cuff. It is a great carry sling, it is a great positional sling and it doesn't slip or move and does what I need it to do.

For the money it is affordable and does the job.

Tactical Interventions Quick Cuff Sling

I have this sling and really like it. Very versatile and the price is good.

I guess I should have thought of that ..

for the most part it will be for carry and a few tac matches ..
I hunt with my savage 99's ,, not a 12 + # rifle. ( Love My 99's:)

thanks .. Talon

For carrying and such, I like the Vickers sling. For strictly shooting, I'm partial to the good old leather 1907's (which I'm sure you're familiar with from the sounds of it). It's just the stiffest, still. Sucks for carrying (IMO). Turner makes good ones, but I got a fine military one on here --I understand some are better than others given the date code.

When I was an SDM instructor, what we used to do was make our own --we modded canvas M14 or M1 slings into shooting slings using the adj. keeper and an extra buckle if I recall right. We marked off our firing positions with a marker so we could adjust for each position. It'll do everything a carry sling AND a 1907 will do, but still just good for everything, not great for anything. But super cheap, lightweight and they work pretty well.

That quick cuff looks kinda like what we made but it's probably much nicer. If so, then I'm pretty sure I want one too.

While I agree with the quick-cuff recommendations, another sling to check out is the Viking quick-adjust sling. I think both are very good.

Strykervet and M1907 fans,

If you want serious leather at a good price check out the Ron Brown version of the M1907.

Turners are nice but these are a notch or two better. They are built on par/in the style of Les Tam slings. Creedmoor sells them and they are a great buy when on sale.

An M1907 wouldnt be my first choice if I did a lot of carry but for KD marksmanship they work well and that leather smells old school cool.
Phil M

The first sling we came out with is what we call our standard sling. If you don't want this sling with the buckles we offer it without buckles too.

http://tabgear.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=1&&returncom=productlist

I feel like our newest sling is the best solution for the way matches are moving towards these days where there are many different stable positions needed in short amounts of time. You can get into any position much faster and just as solid, if not more so, than putting your arm in a loop and it's rapidly adjustable while in any position as well. We call it the RAS sling.

http://tabgear.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=25&&returncom=productlist

Love my TAB elite sling. I'm really hoping to get a RAS soon. It looks like it is the way to go.

TAB gear will stand up to anything.