• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Educate me on this 1911 - Camp Peary?

cattleman99

Snyder Precision LLC
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2018
Lincoln, NE
www.snyderprecision.com
If anyone has info I’d appreciate it! I was told this is a 1911 built for Camp Peary. It’s on a 1918 Colt frame (per Colt SN lookup). Textured front/back grip, top, and in front of trigger guard. Larger dovetail safety, enlarged magazine release and slide release.

Any information would be great appreciated! Is it actually made for Camp Peary? Who would have built this? Approx. value?

D3568C6E-E386-47B3-99FE-105FE038D509.jpeg
7935C992-7F1D-49F0-8AA6-1ECE6E097D07.jpeg
1C6872EB-6F8C-4E37-A2D9-E377D1F0D816.jpeg
F4D18270-06CA-4FBD-AEA2-A1411378CB0B.jpeg
FC27B97B-46BC-42E2-A366-AC8479C5CA41.jpeg
569AC2C9-67D4-4599-BDD1-36C7C0B21C6F.jpeg
29020491-7753-453B-ABA4-4134FD13146A.jpeg
9ADC5882-58DD-4CD7-8602-95DEB3C1F6E2.jpeg

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
MMC is out of business now. Ran from the 70s through early 00s. So that helps narrow down the earliest the gun could have been put together

Reactions: cattleman99
I wonder if the front sight inlay was a custom job outside of MMC? Looks like it’s set for short and long line.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Based on what I have seen it doesn't look like it was built for Camp Perry. All the Perry builds I found in my search show adjustable sights, NM stampings on the barrel, frame, and bushing. None of them have the beavertail or hammer, slide stop or mag release changed out. Again my search was quick and on a few different 1911 forums. The texturing on the trigger guard leads me to believe it was for a two handed grip.

Here is an older post that mentions some rules for Camp Perry 1911 matches from 11 years ago. 1911 Camp Perry It mentions no beavertail, other cosmetic things.

Reactions: sandwarrior
Based on what I have seen it doesn't look like it was built for Camp Perry. All the Perry builds I found in my search show adjustable sights, NM stampings on the barrel, frame, and bushing. None of them have the beavertail or hammer, slide stop or mag release changed out. Again my search was quick and on a few different 1911 forums. The texturing on the trigger guard leads me to believe it was for a two handed grip.

Here is an older post that mentions some rules for Camp Perry 1911 matches from 11 years ago. 1911 Camp Perry It mentions no beavertail, other cosmetic things.
Interesting. That that would rule Camp Perry out.

Perhaps just someone’s older custom build? It’s well done, the trigger sucks though

I’ve shot the Nationals at Camp Perry five times. Up until about 7 years ago, obviously after that pistol was built, that pistol would not have been legal for service pistol matches. It would not have been built for the NRA matches since it doesn’t have a dot sight or bomar rib.
This is a legal service pistol under the new rules. Still has inspection tape from Perry 2019. That pistol is an older combat build type 1911. I would steer clear.

Attachments

• BB0E67AB-B274-43F8-8946-32F3AA330B01.jpeg
    BB0E67AB-B274-43F8-8946-32F3AA330B01.jpeg
    917.3 KB · Views: 44
I’ve shot the Nationals at Camp Perry five times. Up until about 7 years ago, obviously after that pistol was built, that pistol would not have been legal for service pistol matches. It would not have been built for the NRA matches since it doesn’t have a dot sight or bomar rib.
This is a legal service pistol under the new rules. Still has inspection tape from Perry 2019. That pistol is an older combat build type 1911. I would steer clear.
Is there a reason you’d steer clear of it?

I don't know what your intentions are? Bullseye? IDPA?

If someone said that pistol was made for Camp Perry they know nothing about bullseye pistol and so that is a big red light to me. It won't be made to bullseye standards of accuracy because it has an old slide and frame that are peened down to fit and then it uses and old Colt barrel. Nobody uses that old stuff anymore because there are too many good frames and slides made today to make a great pistol that will last for tens of thousands of rounds. That one will not.

The tell tale sign that it is a combat pistol is the flat ridge on the slide top. That is what they did back in the day and all the controls are oversized.

Is there a reason you’d steer clear of it?
I wouldn't steer clear of it, unless you saw something obvious. As a collector from it's time frame, that's a no-go as too many parts have been changed out. And, the texturing, while maybe helpful is another deduction to the price.

As was mentioned above, it appears to be someones custom combat build. If you got it for a reasonable price, the first thing I would do is have the trigger straightened out to the way you want it. The rest of it is how you feel with it. If you don't like the texturing, or any other mods to it, then leave it. It's a nice looking piece but I'd argue down on the trigger if you like everything else. Most I'd pay is $600.00
Edit: I wouldn't worry about the steel in that frame

Last edited: