• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

effect of case life when crimping?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I usually dont crimp ammo but but i had some 243's last night that had some variance in neck tension. Since i had a crimp die that came with my set i decided to crimp the hundred that i loaded. I load low and dont expect any pressure issues from it. However, after crimping all the brass i started wondering how bad this is going to effect me later. this is older brass so no biggie if it has to be rotated out, but if it shoots good then i would consider it for my newer stuff.

Anyone got experience on what the crimping will do to my brass long term?

Re: effect of case life when crimping?

As long as they were all the same length when you crimped them and applied the same amount of crimp it won't negatively affect them. As long as you didn't use the POS LEE factory crimp die.

Bigger question here; why not just fix the problem with the neck tension and sidestep the crimping altogether? In a 243, there's absolutely no reason to crimp, it nearly always degrades accuracy, and it still doesn't correct the problem of varying neck tensions.

As to your original question, the cazse life probably isn't going to be shortened in your 243, but with some types of crimping (mostly thinking very heavy crimps like those of magnum revolvers), you'll develop cracks at the case mouth as the brass work hardens through repeated belling and crimping cycles. I wouldn't worry so much about brass longevity here as I would correcting that neck tension issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bigger question here; why not just fix the problem with the neck tension and sidestep the crimping altogether? In a 243, there's absolutely no reason to crimp, it nearly always degrades accuracy, and it still doesn't correct the problem of varying neck tensions.

As to your original question, the cazse life probably isn't going to be shortened in your 243, but with some types of crimping (mostly thinking very heavy crimps like those of magnum revolvers), you'll develop cracks at the case mouth as the brass work hardens through repeated belling and crimping cycles. I wouldn't worry so much about brass longevity here as I would correcting that neck tension issue. </div></div>

um yeah, the answer to that is easy. lazy. powder was already thrown and i didnt feel like tearing them down to resize again. son (9 yrs old) helped me neck size the other night when i was prepping them and i think we got a little sloppy lol. And yes, they were the POS lee crimper. only one i got, like i said, i normally don't crimp. I load really soft 243 and have been thinking about crimping for a while though just due to the low pressures. when i mean soft, i mean really soft. like 30g of powder target loads soft lol. I have my bangers, but for weekends i roll these for goofing off.

I appreciate the responses, glad to hear its not going to screw me next time around or shorten case life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps. oh hell, i hit 100 post. what can i sell?..... </div></div>
LOL you can start with the Lee factory crimp die...then just set the seater die to slightly taper crimp if ever need be again.

Might want to check into some of the specialty powders like SR4759. Don't see it often these days, but it's a great choice for loading really reduced loads in large centerfire rounds. Turns any of them into pussycats, and can be a lot more fun for jr. shooters (like a 9 year-old) or for just fartin' around. Makes good small game loads, too.

will do thanks. Im using benchmark on 75gn sierra varmits right now for my weak load. right at 30gn. its a powder puff and hold 1/2 to 3/4 moa.