• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effect of twist rate on velocity

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
Can anyone give me an idea of how much velocity I should expect to lose shooting the same load through a 16" 1:7 barrel as opposed to a 1:12 tube of the same length? I'm only getting 2650fps. from Sierra 55gr HPBTs over 26gr of W748 out of my Sig 556.

Re: Effect of twist rate on velocity

I would think that if the barrel is the same length then not a lot off difference in velocity would be seen.
Only a chronograph could really answer this question accurately .
Faster twist rate does meam more in bore drag but it also means more pressure behind the bullet so who knows what the final velocity might be.

I dont remember my charge or exact velocity but with H335 and 55 grain spire points I get well over 2950 with a 16" 1-9 twist bushmaster.

After the bullet is engraved on the rifling, the difference in MV between a fast twist and a slow twist barrel is virtually negligible. Thus, pick the twist based on how much flexiblility you want in bullet selection.