• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effective Range for Trijicon USMC SCO VCOG 1-8x28mm on the AR-15, 16"

TikkaT3XMP

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2023
Pennsylvania
I currently have a DDM4V7 with a 16" barrel. I purchased this for short to medium range shooting with an EOTech EXPS3-2 and G43 3x Magnifier, but I would like to take it out to 600-700 yards at the range for precision shooting.

Question: Does anyone with a similar AR-15 set up have experience with the Trijicon SCO VCOG, and would it be effective at long distance for precision shooting? I presume metal targets at 600-700 would not be an issue with this scope.

Thanks in advance!

I guess my question would be to you, please define your version of precision shooting? What size target are we talking about and how small a group are you hoping for, I take it from the above comment you will be shooting paper.

Second question would be how old are you and how good are your eyes?

Personally, at 56 with my eyes, I would want more magnification for precision shooting at 6-700 yards. I would use that set up to hit large steel but nothing where I was tracking points on paper.

Thanks for reaching back. I will be shooting steel 500-700 yards out and not counting points on paper.

I am 70, but my eyes are excellent for long distance...I can't say the same for reading.

I am shooting my Tikka T3X TAC A1 out to 700 yards at the range using a high powered NightForce rifle scope.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
Youre asking a very subjective question. Different people will have different answers based on wants, needs, and abilities. I personally like seeing my target as close as I can w/in reason. I found 8x isnt what I prefer if I want to consistently hit targets accurately at 300+. and saying the magnification range is the end all stat for a scope is a little short sighted. Ive had 1-8x scopes that are very difficult to use at 8x. Id take my Zco420 @ 8x over any LPVO Ive ever looked thru at 8x. thats a comparison that lives in the extremes but it spotlights my point.

Reactions: simonp
Thanks for reaching back. I will be shooting steel 500-700 yards out and not counting points on paper.

I am 70, but my eyes are excellent for long distance...I can't say the same for reading.

I am shooting my Tikka T3X TAC A1 out to 700 yards at the range using a high powered NightForce rifle scope.
How big are the targets you'll be shooting at (MOA, 2/3 ipsc, ipsc, etc)? Common dimensions are 12x24 or 18x30 for e-types or 12" discs.

500 yards should be no problem but 700 yards will be pushing it and that's assuming you're aiming at larger targets & running the 77g smk or equivalent bullet while wanting to see a hit rate of at least 70% from a rested/prone fully supported position in typical-to-excellent environmental conditions.

I have no issues hitting 12x24 steel targets to 500m with a 1-6 vcog but at 600 hit rate declines markedly. I use a clone load of mk262 mod 1 and this info applies to a 14.5" cl Colt govt profile barrel-equipped carbine w/a 5.56 nato chamber 1/7 twist.

Last edited:
I have the VCOG 1-8 and you shouldn't consider it a "precision" reticle, it's perfectly capable for steel at distance but not a precision scope such as most would consider. Heavy, built like a tank and very capable for the task it was created for, combat. I use mine on an AR10 at the moment but your DD would be a great host. I'm a fan of Trijicon so perhaps slightly biased.

PA PLx 1-8 w/ Griffin reticle is fine to 600 w/ 77’s and 14.5” barrel shooting 12” circle steel and 2/3 IPSC. Wouldn’t be my preference but was consistently making hits w/ 5-8 wind

Reactions: TikkaT3XMP
How big are the targets you'll be shooting at (MOA, 2/3 ipsc, ipsc, etc)? Common dimensions are 12x24 or 18x30 for e-types or 12" discs.

500 yards should be no problem but 700 yards will be pushing it and that's assuming you're aiming at larger targets & running the 77g smk or equivalent bullet while wanting to see a hit rate of at least 70% from a rested/prone fully supported position in typical-to-excellent environmental conditions.

I have no issues hitting 12x24 steel targets to 500m with a 1-6 vcog but at 600 hit rate declines markedly. I use a clone load of mk262 mod 1 and this info applies to a 14.5" cl Colt govt profile barrel-equipped carbine w/a 5.56 nato chamber 1/7 twist.
I never got back on my results. The SCO VCOG was exceptional out to 400 yards, even with a 25 MPH wind out of west. I found ranging out to 500 yards to be more difficult given the wind and my 55 grain 5.56 ammo. Ultimately, I managed to land some great shots, but the wind was a real challenge. With this said, this is without a doubt an outstanding addition to any AR-15 if your goal is to have a tactical firearm working optimally and quickly in the 100–400-yard range. At 400 yards I nailed a 4-inch orange circle on steel--first shot--with slight elevation adjustment. The SVO VCOG zeroed to 100 yards was actually accurate out to 300 with minimal ranging changes.

Reactions: simonp
I got the reader glasses syndrome too. I can hit 900yds no problem with a 10X scope. I am sure you will be fine with 600-700yds 8X. I would shoot 77SMK ammo though.