• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effective Range listed in Magazines

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
So I picked up the latest edition of Tactical Weapons magazine and I flipped to page 56 for the article labeled “Best of the Bolts”. As I started to go through the specs I noticed that the Effective Range on several of the weapons were different even though most of the specs were pretty close to the same, case in point:

FR-F2 rifle
Caliber 7.62X51mm
Barrel length 25.5”
Twist Rate 1:11.5
Effective range: 600 meters

M24 rifle
Caliber 7.62X51mm
Barrel length 24”
Twist rate 1:11.5
Effective Range 800 meters

There are a couple of more examples within the magazine that just begs me to ask where do they get the “Effective Range” information from…. The manufacturer’s specs?... personal opinion?

Re: Effective Range listed in Magazines

Thats what I always hear "the gun media" say, I stil ldon't know why they didn't put the M40 in there!! Yea, the M24 is 1,000 easily for range.

The term "effective range" is vague and open to interpretation. If you are banging steel or punching paper, what is the effective range? Now you are hunting elk, what is the effective range? We can go on, you get the idea

The aricle is discussing sniper systems and common targets engaged by such rifles, but again it comes down to shot placement.

Kirk R

It gives the writers an excuse for not being able to shoot worth a damn.