• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effective range

jeff5555

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
wa. state
Hello everyone im new to the hide so forgive me if this topic has been talked about already.I was reading about Craig harrison's 8120ft shot today and it said that the effective range of the 338lm is 4921ft. My question,is the effective range of a cartridge based off the cartridge itself or the gun/platform its used in.

Re: Effective range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakeyhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My question,is the effective range of a cartridge based off the cartridge itself or the gun/platform its used in. </div></div>

Both, but to varying degrees. Obviously the cartridge itself is going to hold more weight as to what range yo can achieve but the rifle platform still is a factor.

As will where you are standing when the shot is fired in the world... Effective Range is based on Sea Level, higher altitudes means a longer range.

Also,does the military use ft lbs of energy to determine the effective range? If so what is it.

Good point lowlight.I dont know what alt. they were at but an example- 5050ft temp. 95f, dew pt., 67 density alt would be 9252ft!

Shooter and smith comes into play too.
I saw the brown santa deliver stock on a friday night.
Gun was built that week.
Next weekend I did this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8HEJHfyrrM

You can stretch your legs at station four after the shoot.
Wish I had vid of .260 out there.

Even a .308 can hit a 12 in square at mile.
Just not very often.
All of the other factors kinda negate that.

Shakey,
Just saying.
Time and money shooting is better than wishing.
Bigger you go, the more it costs.
Less shooting you do.

What do you have?

rem 700vs 22-250
rem r25 .243 timney trigger leupold mark4 4-14 mil dot
.300 wby mag
Im really happy with the .243 it shoots 1/2"@100
Was thinking of getting a .308 or 338lm next

I've been shooting my whole life (im 35) but i dont consider myself anywhere near as good as most of the guys here. Im here to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakeyhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also,does the military use ft lbs of energy to determine the effective range? If so what is it. </div></div>

Max effective is the range at which 50% of the rounds will hit the target IIRC. This is what we were taught in our aerial gunnery courses, but it may be different for small arms.

Anyone?