• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Effects of a carbon ring

Ajrich

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2018
Other than accuracy issues and pressure signs can you lose velocity from a carbon ring?

I’m gonna show my ignorance here. What’s a carbon ring look like and where’s it located?

I’m gonna show my ignorance here. What’s a carbon ring look like and where’s it located?
A Carbon ring forms where the mouth of the cartridge case meets the throat. That small ledge will accumulate carbon and it can be very difficult to remove.

Carbon rings can show up in different areas honestly....most of the time they will be in the neck area of the chamber between where the case ends and the end of the chamber. They can also show up right before the lands as well. Speed will go up since you have more pressure and accuracy will be effected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ajrich
Mine are in the freebore just before the lands. They are nothing crazy, more like 4 or 5 squarish blotches spaced apart. Reason I ask is my barrel just slowed down 60 fps and was hoping this was the result and not a burnt out barrel. I have it soaking in kroil now and will clean them up tonight after work and see if my velocity comes back.

Mine are in the freebore just before the lands. They are nothing crazy, more like 4 or 5 squarish blotches spaced apart. Reason I ask is my barrel just slowed down 60 fps and was hoping this was the result and not a burnt out barrel. I have it soaking in kroil now and will clean them up tonight after work and see if my velocity comes back.
Not likely a carbon ring.
What caliber?
How many rounds on barrel?

Kroil won't get it out alone......get some CLR and some Bore Paste.....had issues with carbon rings and now have a process that keeps them away.

Reactions: Ajrich
Can a carbon ring cause a heavy bolt lift? The last time I took my rifle out the first 5 or so shots had a heavy bolt lift. But after the first few shots the bolt lift went back to normal and stayed that way the rest of the day

Can a carbon ring cause a heavy bolt lift? The last time I took my rifle out the first 5 or so shots had a heavy bolt lift. But after the first few shots the bolt lift went back to normal and stayed that way the rest of the day
It could but usually youd get it most of the time.
Had you just cleaned your rifle prior to shooting and maybe had some oil or cleaner in the chamber?

Other than accuracy issues and pressure signs can you lose velocity from a carbon ring?
I have never had a slowdown from a carbon ring, but I have had unexplained pressure signs and accuracy issues. I wouldn't say its impossible its causing the velocity issue, but carbon rings just seem to work havac if you let them go. Clean it up and see what happens.

It could but usually youd get it most of the time.
Had you just cleaned your rifle prior to shooting and maybe had some oil or cleaner in the chamber?

No. Its been two range trips since it was last cleaned. I've experience heavy bolt lifts right after cleaning before. But this was the first time with a dirty rifle. Barrel only has 500 rounds through it and I shoot factory ELD match so IDK whats up. I'll see if it happens again on my next outing

ALL I know is my rifle may have a carbon ring because it has gone to shit!! I shot it a few times the other day, about the 4th or 5th shot the bolt was heavy, took force to lift it and eject it and the accuracy went to hell!! Its a remington sendero chambered in 300 weatherby mag, shooting factory weatherby ammo.. Iv'e never had an issue with this gun. Its not the scope or me. I took it to the gun smith. guess we will see. if it keeps it up it will be gone.

I remember removing only one carbon ring in ~15,000 rounds of shooting, and it was a very visible ring when looking into the chamber.
I used a small dental pick and a brush and it came out. It's the only one I have dealt with so far. Most of my shooting is done with cci sv, but I believe the ring was formed with federal ammo. We shot a brick through the gun in one sitting and it was semi auto.

I'll bet that certain brands of ammo are worse than others and that semi auto might build a ring faster than bolt action.

Heavy bolt lift here too. For the guys that had it, did it go away after cleaning that carbon ring if you had one?

I took mine to the local gun smith ( he is phenomenal) he ran a note scope in it..the barrel showed some scarring. He said probably just from being shot. The gun has had less than 500 rounds through it in all honesty probably around 250-300 is all. So I ordered a new Hart barrel for it. He is currently redoing and customizing the whole gun. New barrel, rebedding it, reworking the action. I’m still not sure what causes this. I’d only had factory weatherby ammo fired in it.. blows my minds

Heavy bolt lift here too. For the guys that had it, did it go away after cleaning that carbon ring if you had one?
Mine is getting rebarreled and completely redone, ordered a Hart barrel. The bor scope showed scarring but not really a carbon ring. The gun is 25 years old but is not shot that much. I dont punch paper with it..only make sure the zero is held before huting season and 3-4 deer max a year with it. Gun smith says the pressure from the caliber over the years could be the problem, Idk, i keep it clean and well maintained. Never had an issue with until now. I'll let you know how it performs when i get in back. He swears it will be sub moa all day, which before this it was. New barrel, rebbeded, action customized, etc etc added a brake to it also.. The people at Hart barrels are phenomenal to work with. This is my first time dealing with them.