• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effects of barrel painting

AQC440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Bagdad, Kentucky
Anyone have either positive or negative thoughts on barrel <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">paint</span>ing</span>.ie Krylon etc.
I know some of the rim fire shooters sometimes paint there barrels to help hold heat and keep the bullet lube built up in the barrels soluble.
I was wondering if painting a center fire rifle barrel slows cooling and has an adverse effect on the rifles ability to group.
Just thinking aloud.

Re: Effects of barrel painting

Nope minimal affect at best. One of the best shooting rifles I have is painted. Many guys here paint there rifles and still shoot under 1/2 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have either positive or negative thoughts on barrel painting.
I know some of the rim fire shooters sometimes paint there barrels to help hold heat and keep the bullet lube built up in the barrels soluble.
I was wondering if painting a center fire rifle barrel slows cooling and has an adverse effect on the rifles ability to group.
Just thing aloud.
</div></div>

AQC440,

I think we need to discuss "what type of painting". If you have your barreled action "Cera-Koted" or other types of professionally done painting, I think you have enhanced your rifle, and if you go to resell it should have a positive effect. Krylon at home jobs I think would reduce a rifle's market value.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have either positive or negative thoughts on barrel painting.
Just thing aloud.
</div></div>

AQC440,

I think we need to discuss "what type of painting". If you have your barreled action "Cera-Koted" or other types of professionally done painting, I think you have enhanced your rifle, and if you go to resell it should have a positive effect. Krylon at home jobs I think would reduce a rifle's market value.

Bob

Bob
I should have been more specific.
Specifically paint seems to be thicker for total coverage then does say Duracoat.
I was wondering if a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">pain</span>ted</span> centerfire rifle barrel takes longer to cool then one that is just plain bead blasted stainless?

David

</div></div>

i think my rifle cools faster painted than it did when it was black. fwiw

We don't think it has affected accuracy/grouping on M24's, I suppose if it did we would quit or try something else. Krylon seems to stick and wear well on those.
You have to repaint the M2 barrels since heat melts it off.
M4's dont seem to have any issues but then they aren't being used like a precision rifle. Some paint jobs are still there years later.
Krylon does not stick well to M9's.
I and some others were not pleased with cleaning solvents continually "melting" krylon type paints off our guns so other coatings were tried. I personally went with DuraHeat since it held up better than DuraCoat.

M24's have a "Rem-Tough powder-coated barrel." I assume something similar to AI's epoxy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon at home jobs I think would reduce a rifle's market value. </div></div>

How?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon at home jobs I think would reduce a rifle's market value. </div></div>

How? </div></div>

i personally agree that it reduces a rifle's value.

i wouldn't pay as much for a spray painted rifle as i would a nice cerakoted or other professionally finished rifle. in all honesty, i probably wouldn't buy one at all that had been spray painted unless i was using it strictly as a donor for a build where i would be stripping and refinishing it anyways.

i am thinking about duracoating my model 700, with how easy that thing gets rust spots, i think it should help it out in value.

how does spray painting a rifle (Krylon) REDUCE its value is the question...

example.. I have a custom rifle:

Stiller TAC30
Stiller rail
Rock Barrel
Manners T1
TPS rings
NXS Scope

How does me spray painting it take away from its value?

The value of the rifle stays the same. The only thing that changes, is someone else's willingness to buy it if its been painted. But, the rifle doesnt depreciate because its been kryloned.

I'd agree with SB. The value is the same unless you did something that irreversibly altered its function.

Its like a car. The more custom you make it the less broad appeal it has. Less appeal to a wide audience = less people bidding on your rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd agree with SB. The value is the same unless you did something that irreversibly altered its function.

Its like a car. The more custom you make it the less broad appeal it has. Less appeal to a wide audience = less people bidding on your rifle...

</div></div>

since you compared it to a car, if you spray paint a mercedes with krylon, is it still worth the same amount it was without the spray paint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and the best thing about Krylon?

Spend a little time with it & you're back to factory specs...lol </div></div>

if the buyer needs to spend time to return it to factory specs, it is not woth what it would be if it were already at factory specs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd agree with SB. The value is the same unless you did something that irreversibly altered its function.

</div></div>

since you compared it to a car, if you spray paint a mercedes with krylon, is it still worth the same amount it was without the spray paint?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and the best thing about Krylon?

Spend a little time with it & you're back to factory specs...lol </div></div>

if the buyer needs to spend time to return it to factory specs, it is not woth what it would be if it were already at factory specs. </div></div>

You can't dip a car in MEK, give it a light scrubbing and have the paintjob disappear.

If your rifle isn't selling and you think it's the paint it's not like it's hard to get rid of the krylon and start from square one.

Hmmmmm... Krylon is so easy to put on and take off but Im in agreement with both parties. A good Krylon job can definetly make a rifle more appealing which would actually help the sell. But then you have guys who want it plan Jane with that custom dust coat they can blow off now and then for shooting..lol. I like Krylon but I also take it out of the case and use my weapon for what its made for (shooting game out to 800m)...Lol!

Getting back to the original question can paint affect the cooling aspects of a barrel? I understand that if a barrel is walking its impact as it heats the barrel already has issues but I read someplace that ceramic based paints are used to allow vehicle parts to retain heat by reflecting it.

So would a cerakoted barrel retain heat significantly longer than an uncoated barrel? Just thinking out loud, for me the durability of cerakote and the ability to reduce shine is well worth it. I even use the tan paints because it is noticeably cooler to the touch in the summer than getting behind a rifle and planting your cheek on a black stock.

Norcal
Thanks for getting us back on topic; this is more of the type of response I was expecting.
Although I see some of the other points about paint effecting or not effecting value, it is somewhat off topic.

AQC:
Getting back to cooling/grouping; with all the M24's I've seen firing extended strings with either factory coating on the barrel or some type of paint or coating over the factory (no one takes off the original factory black coating),
I can't say it affects grouping or accuracy. I've seen many rifles fire over 100 rounds in an hour or two or some combination of high round counts over the course of time and barrels get hot... and they group just fine. Whose to say its the barrel coating or not?
Bottom line: The M24 is one outstanding weapon.

I assume from the responses that my concern of a painted barrel retaining heat is moot.
The finish on most tactical rifle barrels is bead blasted or porous producing more surface area enhancing cooling. I guess three or four mils of paint are not enough to prevent this effect.
Shooter5
You seem well versed on the M 24 sniper system.
At the risk of being ostracized for hi-jacking my own thread, can you tell me why in the beginning and to modern day, the M 24 had/has provisions for the Redfield Palma rear sight and "International" globe? Are they ever used?

I never saw a set of actual iron sights for an M24 issued. As a matter of fact mine had a cracked front sight base and you couldn't have mounted the front sight if you wanted to. I think it was a provision for the AMU so they could use them in irons only matches.

I had a 1SGT who said they used them in sniper school back in the day (88-89???) to shoot at movers,can't say about that.

To the original question I don't think it effects accuracy one bit. Lots of Army and Marine rifles have several layers of bowflauge and krylon on them and still shoot fine. I would agree it would hold heat slightly more but not to a degree that it effects accuracy,because a good barrel properly bedded shoots the same hot or cold. TJR