• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Effects of rain on shooting?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I have never yet had to shoot in the rain. Tomorrow, I have time to go to the range, and the temperature will be acceptable (50 to 59 degrees)but the forecast is "90%" for rain for the entire day.

The shooting range has well-covered shooting positions, so as long as the wind is not severe, I would stay dry. The range officials do the target changing.

But, how significantly does rain affect shooting? I realize visibility is somewhat reduced, but have never assessed how much when looking through a 12 to 42 power scope at 250 yards (load development without needing to upset shooting position by transitioning to a spotting scope between shots). Is visibility degraded enough to make the effort stupid?

Does the rain actually affect the bullet at all? I wouldn't THINK so, but am I correct?

Metal targets would obviosuly been unaffected, but do paper targets start to "pucker" up when it gets wet enough?

Do the rifle parts try to "flash rust" in the rain just due to the high humidity?

Is it stupid to even try to go? (My next chance might not be until a full week later)

Jim G

Re: Effects of rain on shooting?

Rain effects the shooter, not the rifle/ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it stupid to even try to go? (My next chance might not be until a full week later) </div></div>

Not sure you are really serious? Obviously combat doesn't stop due to rain, nor does hunting and most forms of competition. It would be nice to sit on a couch and gain experience by playing video games but unfortunately you have to actually shoot under real conditions. Yes, most of what you have listed will be affected by rain...........and much more. If shooting on bluebird days is the challenge you're looking for don't go. Just depends on the type of rifleman you want to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rain effects the shooter, not the rifle/ammo. </div></div>

Care to elaborate?

I've shot in the rain a fair amount. It is miserable, and the results downrange are never as good as they are when it's not raining. For me, I can't conclusively say it's all me - for two main reasons...

1. The bullet MUST encounter at least a few raindrops on it's way downrange. Obviously, water has inertia, so it seems it could affect the trajectory. But then again, maybe the supersonic shockwave from the bullet causes the raindrop to momentarily vaporize? Just guessing.

2. Water in the rifle bore, or on the crown. If water starts to run down into your bore, it seems that would almost certainly affect the velocity or performance of the bullet...? Plus, precision shooters are always concerned about their crown being perfect. What affect does a little pool of water have, when it's collecting on your recessed target crown? Seems like it would have SOME affect...??!!

Raindrops never hit the bullet and water at the crown doesn't affect the velocity of the round.

Bullets create a pressure cloud after they leave the muzzle so "the bullet MUST at least encounter one or two raindrops" is not an accurate statement. On the second day of the Precision Rifle Series kickoff, it poured pretty much all day.... A TON of equipment failed. But a TON of shooters left with good lessons on shooting in the rain. Oh yea, it wasn't a covered range

I should have emohasized: The purpose fo thsi session is not to gain shooting experience, but rather to test alternative loads I am working on.

If it was a regular "shoot for more experience" session, I wouldn't even be asking. I'd go, because I do need the experience in shooting in different conditions! But, I hate to burn up carefully made batches of different loads if the external factors are gonig to make the results ambiguous about which load really worked best.

So, let me ask again a bit differently:

1. Will the presence of rain affect the NON-shooter results?

2. Is it likely that shooter performance is affected enough to pollute the load comparison? i.e. is the visibility or anything else comprimsied enough to make it better to wait for better conditions?

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. Water in the rifle bore, or on the crown. If water starts to run down into your bore, it seems that would almost certainly affect the velocity or performance of the bullet...? Plus, precision shooters are always concerned about their crown being perfect. What affect does a little pool of water have, when it's collecting on your recessed target crown? Seems like it would have SOME affect...??!!</div></div>

The amount of air in the barrel at the moment of primer/powder ignition will sweep 99.9% of the water out of the bore.

I live in the PNW - and wouldn't ever be able to shoot if I didn't shoot in the rain. Hell - I think the last 8 times I've shot have been in the rain - this weekend I will as well. The best group I ever shot was a few weekends ago (3 @ .283") in the rain.
If range doesn't have target-covers over it for the rain - then yes, your target will get wet. I keep my targets pulled tight - and they aren't affected - I dry them out when I get home to measure.
Nearly every day I hunt is in the rain as well. I use the Leupold screw on flip covers to keep the water out of the obj/eye pieces..sure - it makes shooting a bitch sometimes...but it's just part of being outdoors.

It is funny... I have always worried about rain affecting shooting, but I have had some of my best targets in the rain. Probably because when I have shot in the rain in the past, the wind has been dead.

As far as your boolets go, not a concern. However, there CAN be consequences of shooting in the rain:

wizardofzwitchmelt1-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as your boolets go, not a concern. However, there CAN be consequences of shooting in the rain:

wizardofzwitchmelt1-1.jpg

</div></div>

I've been told many many times, "Shit don't melt".