• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes egw base and burris rings?

wcjake15

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
kentucky, US
i just ordered an egw 20 moa base for my savage MKII BTVS and i already have burris signature zee rings that are 1". i went to go mount the base to the rifle and then tried to mount the rings and i cant get them to slide on or clip on or anything! i dont know if im just not doing it right or if these rings will even fit this base! but it says on the package weaver rings will fit on this base! any help is appreciated! thanks

Re: egw base and burris rings?

The Z rings are for weaver bases. I got them to work with a little careful filing and a tap, tap. tap with a rawhide mallet.
Here's my DPMS 260LR with the S&B 4-16 in those mounts. Since they may not align perfectly, you may have to buy the eccentric inserts to get zeroed. Yes it was a pain. Would I bother again HELL NO !
I now use Warne QD milspec rings and have stopped being anal about tiny ring marks.

dpms260.jpg

thanks i figured since they slide on they would take some force but i was just gunna take them back and exchange them for warne rings! thanks for the help!

You are welcome, I'm sure you'll like the Warnes much better except lacking the inserts. They are built like a tank,
I don't understand why everyone does not steal the Burris insert idea (as SAKO has) as it is the answer to both ring marks and alignment issues. I have them on my 9 pound 400 H&H (400 gr @ 2650 fps) and the scope has never shifted at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wcjake15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just ordered an egw 20 moa base for my savage MKII BTVS and i already have burris signature zee rings that are 1". i went to go mount the base to the rifle and then tried to mount the rings and i cant get them to slide on or clip on or anything! i dont know if im just not doing it right or if these rings will even fit this base! but it says on the package weaver rings will fit on this base! any help is appreciated! thanks </div></div>

wcjake,

Sorry about your problem. I had read before about the problem before with Burris Zee Rings and the EGW bases, on Rimfire Central. EGW rails are too wide (or the Burris rings too narrow). I also understand (If I am remembering correctly, and I cannot find the old post right now) that EGW might have a fix for your problem, as some of their bases were made wider than the 1913 spec.. Have you contacted EGW or Burris?

Just for the record, I have used Burris 30mm Signature Zee Rings, without problems, and resorting to mallets, on Warne two piece bases, and Ken Farrell one piece 20 MOA and 0 MOA bases.

Bob

Note: I finally found the relevant post concerning Burris Z Rings on RimFire Central.

It was a email response from Burris on problems noted with Burris Z Rings:

<span style="font-style: italic">Thank you for your patience and for bringing this problem with our Zee ring to my attention. The data you provided led us to find a manufacturing issue. Our manufacturing process calls for the complete deburr of all parts. Upon inspecting several hundred of our Zee rings, we found in some instances a burr was being left on the zee cut and/or the cross-tapped hole. This was causing the ring to seem too tight for the base. As your friend pointed out, as soon as we removed the burr, the ring slid onto the base as it should. Further investigation showed there was no burr on the “first article acceptance “ inspection part but there were some tiny burrs left by the person at the deburr station during the production run.

We have re-trained the person at the deburr station to make them more aware of the importance of removing all of the burrs not only from the Zee ring, but from all of our production pieces. I also made the first article and final inspectors aware of the problem so they will be more watchful in the future.

The Burris Zee ring is designed and manufactured to the picatinny rail MIL-STD-1913 standard. We have found large variations in dimensional tolerances in rails by other manufacturers. A statistical sample of every lot of our Zee rings is checked for fit on a certified, picatinny gage. Burris Zee rings should fit any manufacturer’s rail which meets the MIL-STD-1913 standard specifications. Rarely, a Zee ring may be too tight or too loose due to manufacturing issues like tolerance stack up, tool break down, human error, etc.

The Zee ring mounted onto a rail of a different manufacturer may not fit properly as we have no control over the tolerances and manufacturing standards of other manufacturers. Customers mounting the Zee ring onto different manufacturers’ rails have complained that our Zee ring is too loose. In many cases, investigation showed the rail was undersize. The opposite has been equally true when a manufacturers’ base was found to be oversize.

I met with the General Manager and Engineering manager. We reviewed our historical data, design, and manufacturing processes of the Zee ring. We concluded that the reliability of the Zee ring does not merit a design or manufacturing change at this time. Frankly, the ring has been used successfully for a long, long time. As with all of our products, we conduct a scheduled review of the designs and manufacturing processes. The Zee ring will be reviewed again and change decisions in the future, if any, will depend on the results of historical quality data. For now, the data shows the Zee ring to be a very strong and reliable ring.

Thank you for continuing to trust in Burris products. Our Quality Control measures are prudent to assure quality products leave our plant. As we all know however, nothing is perfect and sometimes, though rarely, a non-conforming ring will get out. That is why we protect our customers with our warranty and why we stand behind our products. If a customer feels there is a manufacturing defect in his ring he is always welcome to send the set in for repair or replacement.

Jim Aris
Manager, Quality Assurance
Burris Company
331 E. 8th Street
Greeley, CO 80631
970-356-1670 X119</span>

So I'm still not sure if your problem is the Burris Zee Ring or EGW's 1913 Spec's......Call em both, and bitch.

Bob

Burris XTR rings and higher quality rings are a nice fit on the EGW bases. It must be the Zee ring design. I don't know for sure if the Zee Rings have a problem but most manufactures are very reluctant to admit their product has a problem. It would cost Burris a lot money to make design changes and they will have to replace some of the older rings customers have already purchased.

GC

I've had the exact same situation. Carefully file and deburr all surfaces on the bottom of the rings. Also, break all sharp edges on the corners.This will definitely help. The tapped hole trends to raise a burr, remove it. With this slight touch up , I've had no problems. And if necessary, insert a screwdriver in the slot and gently spread it open a bit.