• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EGW base for my Savage MkII BTVS

Novadesigns

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2007
Glendale, California
Well, I really like my Savage MkII a lot, but one thing I hate about it is the scope bases. They are low, 0-MOA, and not very solid. Even with blue locktite they've come loose on my twice now.

Being 0-MOA I could only get 12.5MOA of elevation out of my Bushnell scope... barely getting me to 150 yards--and to 200 with a pretty substantial holdover.

So, I found out about a new 20-MOA single piece base from EGW for the Mark II and I got it today.

Wow. This thing is great! It fits perfectly and raises the scope up another 1/4 to 3/8" which is good because I was only off the barrel by the thickness of a piece of paper! And now I should be able to get elevation enough to get me to past 300 yards and maybe 400 with a holdover.

Here it is with the base installed. I can't wait to get it zero'd in.

newbase_1.jpg

newbase_2.jpg

newbase_3.jpg

Thanks to the guys at EGW for making this base.

Re: EGW base for my Savage MkII BTVS

+1. These are way nicer than the factory set-up and pretty easy on the wallet to boot. I did zero mine and it took me to the bottom of the scopes adjustment range. I have not yet verified what max range is. Please keep us posted once you determine yours.

I just ordered one for my mk ii last week, and can't wait to get it. i put one on my .308 by egw. great product at a great price!

Thanks guys. I have to say I was surprised that this didn't generate more comments as its something I've been wanting for some time--and there are a lot of guys who bought this rifle as a 22lr trainer. Its a big deal to me to have long range components available for a 22lr trainer because it allows me get this thing working to the limits of the round.

Most people don't ever shoot the 22lr past 50 yards so a 20MOA base isn't something they'd even think about... but for me and other guys looking to use this as a trainer (and yes I even compete with it too) having a 20 minute base like this is a godsend.

I'll be competing with this rifle this weekend, so I'll let you guys know where my zero lands and what I can dial out to now. I'm really looking forward to it!

Wish me luck!

Hey lvcatfish, what scope do you have?

I've done business with EGW for a few years now and own 5 or 6 of their bases. You can't beat them for the price. Quality product and great CS, buy with confidence.

Frank D

looks good, im waiting on my bvts to be delivered any day now. im starting to lean toward the egw bases a little more than the Halo base, egw looks better to me as the Halo is cut to represent the longer 93 chamber area.

Um, if you only had 12.5 MOA of up elevation when it was a zero MOA base, are you at all worried that you won't have enough down elevation to zero it when it's on a 20?

That seems like a ridiculously small range of adjustment for a scope with target knobs.

when you go to the compitition, (good luck, by the way), can you try to
remember to ask around for some ballistic coefficient data on .22 magnum ammo
particularly cci 40 gr tmj. i've been going crazy over the last few weeks
trying to get that info from somebody or a website to give me the data.
i'd appreciate it greatly, as i'm getting my stuff together past 200yds with it.

Does anybody know if this would fit the Savage 9317?

i don't know if you have a drilled / tapped receiver or grooved, but if
you look at a weaver base selection chart and the bases for a mkii fits yours,
then the egw base should also. you can also give egw a call - the people
there are really good and wront sell you stuff you don't need. th moa you gain
with this syle base is worth the extra effort, plus it looks cool too.
(they are also in the process of making a base that fits grooved recievers)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um, if you only had 12.5 MOA of up elevation when it was a zero MOA base, are you at all worried that you won't have enough down elevation to zero it when it's on a 20?

That seems like a ridiculously small range of adjustment for a scope with target knobs.
</div></div>

Well, its possible. I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

According to Bushnell's website I have a whopping 40 inches of total travel at 100 yards... you're right, its not very much.

The thing that gets me is that a .22lr standard velocity cartridge should be just about dead level to the axis of the scope at 50-55 yards, so if my base is parallel with the bore and 1.5" up my scope should be damn close to zero elevation out of the box. But, I have to adjust nearly <span style="font-style: italic">10 minutes</span> to zero the thing at 50 yards. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, at 25 yards the elevation at that part of the trajectory is very close to where it is at 50 yards, just going up instead of coming down, so I shouldn't need to hold under much. That much at least seems to be close with this rifle. I think my elevation adjustment from 50 to 25 is a couple of clicks at most. And from 50 to 100 its about 6 minutes and change... also pretty close to right on.

Its just the initial zero that's bugging me. Maybe the Bushnell is just a crappy scope, even for a .22
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you go to the compitition, (good luck, by the way), can you try to
remember to ask around for some ballistic coefficient data on .22 magnum ammo
particularly cci 40 gr tmj. i've been going crazy over the last few weeks
trying to get that info from somebody or a website to give me the data.
i'd appreciate it greatly, as i'm getting my stuff together past 200yds with it.

</div></div>

I will ask, but no one is shooting magnums at the match, its only .22lr.

Quietman Halo Manufacturing makes a very similar base for the 93, a little cheaper too.

ND,
Been busy but haven't forgotton. I use an older Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 back from when they were still mfr in Japan. Great scope for a rimfire that will focus down below 25yds. 1/8moa clicks are very usefull for near range zeroing as well. I wish I could buy another just like it. Like yourself I was limited to 38moa avalable elevation travel and pretty much needed the egw base to reach out there.

I know the pictures aren't great but at least it made the dog happy! Good luck at the match.

savagebtvs003.jpg

savagebtvs006.jpg

savagebtvs007.jpg

The sole purpose of this rifle was to inexpensively train offhand and POA/trigger technique. So far I'm pretty happy with the results. Hopefully my offhand will improve as I continue to practice.

For me, I felt like I needed the bolt knob because of the short bolt handle length. I agree that it looks huge on there but I was having trouble working the bolt after I mounted the scope. After I installed the knob things felt better. The short bolt throw is more awkward for me than anything but I am getting used to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvcatfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ND,
Been busy but haven't forgotton. I use an older Nikon Monarch 6.5x20 back from when they were still mfr in Japan. Great scope for a rimfire that will focus down below 25yds. 1/8moa clicks are very usefull for near range zeroing as well. I wish I could buy another just like it. Like yourself I was limited to 38moa avalable elevation travel and pretty much needed the egw base to reach out there.

I know the pictures aren't great but at least it made the dog happy! Good luck at the match.

savagebtvs003.jpg

savagebtvs006.jpg

savagebtvs007.jpg

</div></div>

i was wondering when someone was gonna change the bolt handle on a savage 22. how did you do it?

lol! saw this thread and just wanted to add I bought another EGW base for my M700 SA. Got it off E-gay direct from EGW, 41.99 shipped to my door.

Not really all that hard to do but it would be a major PITA without the mill and fixtures. I have a v-block rigged up on an angle table to secure the bolt on the table. I use an annular cutter to remove the factory knob ala the method described here previously by HateCa. Thread the boss that the cutter produces, degrease, apply marine-tex and spin on knob.

Been wanting to make a fixture to do this on a lathe but haven't found the time or pieces parts to begin that adventure.

I do not believe the handle can be removed from the bolt on this action (unlike other savage centerfire bolt actions). If I'm wrong on this I'd also appreciate someone to chime in and give us intel.

I think your base is on backwards! It just looks that way in the pictures.

Wouldn't the front-end be the lowest end to raise the point of aim for farther range?

It will probably still clear the barrel.

Grip

It looks right to me. Maybe you think the rifle is turned around?

I have one of these basis, and the flat end of the base is to the rear and the extended portion with more mounts is to the front.

mine is in the mail, they are cranking these things out, its a nice piece and exactly what i needed

I want a base as well. As was mentioned before, let us know what the max range is. These .22's drop pretty darn fast.

The bolt knobs on the older (pre accutrigger) do unscrew. But it is a weird thread pitch. I made a knob for it but had to get some weird tap.

I had to straighten and then machine the bolt stud on my new fv in order to put a bolt knob on it. The metal is soft so it is not that hard.

my 1" tube ziess on a 50 yard zero is out of elevation at 100 yards.. 200 will prob be max for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 1" tube ziess on a 50 yard zero is out of elevation at 100 yards.. 200 will prob be max for me </div></div>

I decided to just run my NF....I know you have a extra NF laying around just slap it on there.

that will probally work better for me, i just need to get it converted so i can practice holding wind with the right reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GripItRight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your base is on backwards! It just looks that way in the pictures.

Wouldn't the front-end be the lowest end to raise the point of aim for farther range?

Grip </div></div>

I've been told before that my head was on backwards but never one of my bases. Bases are installed correctly (front tips down).

Look at the EXTENDED length over the front,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's correct..................damn sure would not want that on the rear........LOL

Well, I did OK at my match, came in 3rd. It was only a 60 point spread out of 1,000 for the top three! And an absolute blast!

So the base worked out great. I put the scope back on and dialed it down 20MOA just to get it in the ballpark. I was only 2" low and pretty far left on my first sighting shot. I ended up back at zero at 22 minutes and 10.2 minutes R. I was lucky because I only had one minute to get my zero at the match and I took my last shot as the buzzer sounded... fortunately it was a bullseye!

Anyway the difference between my 50 yard zero and 25 yards was really negligible maybe a click at the most. I just held low a touch and was dead on. At this match though our max range was 100 yards (my correction was an even 5 MOA) so I couldn't really test out how much elevation I have now. But I'll try it out at the range this weekend and see how far out I can shoot. I'm hoping to get to 300 yards before running out.

BTW I was really happy that I had a nice, little 0.65-inch group at 75 yards at the match!

More to come...

Thanks for the update. What ammo did you use for the match?

WORD OF WARNING..............

the FACTORY bolts holding the factory scope mounts are VERY VERY easy to strip.... ask me how i know this...

make sure you DO NOT strip them or you will spend a hour trying to drill out the knock off your factory screws... i got lucky and didnt pull the threads out

Wes-

Need to run some numbers past you...

Your scope is supposed to have 40 inches of adjustment at 100yds.
Let's ignore the difference between inches and moa for a moment to make it easy to think logically and call it 40moa.
So you have 20 moa up and 20 moa down asuming the scopes travel is in the midle of it's optical center. (this is my biggest concern!)
When you were zeroed with your 0moa base, you had 12.5 moa of up elevation left.
This means that you were using 7.5 moa to get your 50yd zero.
That would mean that you have 27.5 moa of down travel available to you and you ate up 20 moa of that when changing bases.
So, you now should have 7.5 moa of down travel and 32.5 moa of up travel.
This is pretty good for the game we play.

With that established, look at my gun...
For the 10-22, EGW makes a 10-22 base with either 0 moa or with 25 moa.
My Nikon buckmaster side focus mil-dot is supposed to have 50 moa of adjustment.
That should mean 25 up and 25 down.
Let's assume (damn I hope) that the elevation travel is centered around the optical center on both our scopes and that I may need 8moa to reach my zero because my barrel is shorter.
So, I have 25 moa of elevation less 8 moa to zero, leaving me 17 moa of usable elevation
This won't quite get me to 200yds and turning my elevation knob until it stops shows me that I have about 18 moa remaining.
However, with the 33 moa of wasted down travel, I should be able to eat up all of the 25moa EGW base and not worry about bottoming out my elevation travel to get zeroed.
I should be 8 moa off the bottom of the elevation travel.
This would give me about 42 moa of usable elevation.

Does my logic jive?

If I follow you (and I'm making no promises here) you should be right on. For one thing you have 10MOA more overall travel than me, and an extra 5MOA on that base shouldn't bottom you out. I know that someone else makes a 20MOA base if you don't want to push it all the way to 25.

Of course, all this is assuming that you are right on all your guesses.
wink.gif

FWIW, I also took an xtra 2MOA to get back on my zero this past weekend. I haven't checked yet but I should technically only have 5 down left. But the beauty of it all is that 25 yards and 50 yards are essentially the same and since we never shoot less than say 20 yards, 5MOA is way more than enough!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WORD OF WARNING..............

the FACTORY bolts holding the factory scope mounts are VERY VERY easy to strip.... ask me how i know this...

make sure you DO NOT strip them or you will spend a hour trying to drill out the knock off your factory screws... i got lucky and didnt pull the threads out </div></div>

LISTEN UP GUYS^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GripItRight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think your base is on backwards! It just looks that way in the pictures.

Grip </div></div>
Just wanted to make sure and after a second look, it looks right.

Grip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whiteLiftedz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WORD OF WARNING..............

make sure you DO NOT strip them or you will spend a hour trying to drill out the knock off your factory screws... i got lucky and didnt pull the threads out </div></div>

LISTEN UP GUYS^
</div></div>
Bump

Just ordered one for my MKII, my scope has 60 MOA adjustment so the 20MOA base should work decent. I hated the dinky factory mounts anyway and already have a EGW base on the .308.
laugh.gif

These bases are REALLY nice, I bought 2 of them. Put one on the 17Hummer.

Nova how much adjustment are you getting out of that Bushnell?? I'm curious because I was sitting around today thinking about building a .22 for shooting more than 50 yards. I shot a fellow hide members Mark II 12FV that he had put a 10X Super Sniper on. With around 39MOA we were hitting a groundhog silhouette at 300 yards with regularity unless the wind changed. I was quite impressed to say the least. My brother has that same scope on a rig of his but I don't know my much adjustment it has. I was also thinking that it would be awesome if someone made a 20MOA base for a .22 and then I find this post. Just what I needed right on the hide!

+1 for EGW I have a couple of their 10/22 mounts and one on the way for a browning a-bolt. For the price they make a great quality product, and for a lot of guns that no one else makes a mount for.