• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing EGW Base on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical

rickcis

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
Hi Folks. I need some opinions.

First of all I am a newbie... real new.. My 15 MOA base just came in tonight and I used the screws that came with it. The last factory screw (nearest the end of the barrel) came out very tough. All the EGW screws went in OK with the last being very tough. I went to pull the bolt back after tightening and the bolt would not move. I started loosening all the scews and when I loosened screw #3 and the bolt became free. I backed that one out, put loctite on all four and tightened the remaining three.

Guys, do I have something to worry about here???

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rick

Re: EGW Base on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical

sure you got the right height screws in the right places?

i mixed screws on the first base i installed and would up in the same boat.

Your bolt prolly has a little circle mark on it now.
smile.gif

Little screws at the barrel end, taller at the trigger end.

On the canted bases there is probably two diff length screws, long for rear and short for front. Pull them all and check them. I also did it on my first install. Let us know.

Mike

+ 1 on everyone's answer I did it the first time around you said you used loctite on the screws I was told to make sure I only use blue loctite on them is just passing that along to

correct me if I am wrong on the loctite guy's

Loctite Blue okay...but, first make sure the screws aren't bottoming out on the barrel nor on the bolt lug. Life is too short for LocTite on the screw threads. Screw them in most of the way and put a little on the screw heads then torque them down. They'll be OK then. You probably need to shorten #3 and a little bit on #4...counting from back to front. JMHO

Thanks Guys, I did the replacement of scews this morning. All seems OK.

You can tell I am a real green newbie
blush.gif

Thanks for your help guys.

Experience is expensive no matter how you get it
grin.gif
. Have to admit I did this on my first canted base.

I also put the loctite on the screw heads and not on the threads, and this works fine with me as I have never had one loosen by doing this. Of course I never had one back out when I put it on the threads either
grin.gif

Great thing here is you learned and won't forget the lesson.

Welcome Rickcis.
Nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has to start from somewhere. Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from learning your mistake (hopefully once only). Let us know how the stick shoot.

I did the same thing with my EGW 20 MOA base for my Savage. Had to play the screw shuffle, after that no problems. I had noob syndrome, I learned a lesson on that one.