• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EGW bases and rings ?

MoMopacksa45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2008
Oklahoma
Fellas, any of you have experience with EGW bases and rings ? If so, what doy uo think of them, are they solid preformers ? Or are they problematic ?

Mike

Re: EGW bases and rings ?

Most folks around here have had good luck with the bases. No personal experience though.

EGW is a great product for the money. I have a base on my tikka and a base on my savage mark II. Good product at a great price point.

Im not a fan. Their bases seem a bit soft compared to others, the screws it came with had rust on it a month after install, the the base does not have a recoil lug like most tactical bases (Seekins, NF, Badger, etc.)

Add a bit more and buy Seekins base and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not a fan. Their bases seem a bit soft compared to others, the screws it came with had rust on it a month after install, the the base does not have a recoil lug like most tactical bases</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bit Soft</span> - Don't agree. I install them all the time for customers and never have or see any problems. I torque the 1/2" hex nut on XTR rings up to 90 in/lbs with no damage to the base or the rings. The EGW bases are made of high quality Aluminum that's been anodized.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Screws rusted</span> - You blame EGW because you didn't oil your screws. You know after you degrease your screws before you use blue loctite the screws will rust very fast if you don't put a little oil on them after the loctite drys.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Recoil lug</span> - Bases don't need a recoil lug with most calibers. Maybe with a 338 Lapua.

The bottom line from my experience EGW offers a very good lower cost product. Burris XTR rings makes a good combo with the EGW base. XTR Low rings work with scopes up to 50mm obj. I have seen some use them with 56mm scopes but that is cutting it close.

GC

I agree on EGW being top notch. I currently have 3 of their bases. 1 on my Remington 700, one on a Savage FP10, and one on a Savage MKII FV. They are all tapered bases and I have been completely satisfied with them. EGW customer service is excellent as well. I am running Leupold MKIV rings on 2 setups, the third will have Badger rings. I can't speak for the Badgers yet, but the Leupolds are a perfect fit. Nothing soft about an EGW base as far as I have seen yet.

I've got EGW mounts on both my remingtons and I've never had any problems. They supply an A+ product as far as I'm concerned. I doubt they can stand up to the high end steel units (badger, ect) but for the price you just can't beat 'em IMHO.

I've never used their rings, so I can't speak for them.