• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EGW or TPS Rings?

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I already have a EGW base (non-hd version) and was trying to decide between the TPS TSR steel rings or the EGW HD rings. The EGW rings are still aluminum and cost nearly $30-$40 more than the steel TPS so my question is basically would it be better to match up manufacturers even though the rings are aluminum or would it be better to get the TPS rings because they are steel? I really didn't want to spend more than I would already be spending on the TPS rings but I figured I'd ask if the EGW rings would be worth it.

Thanks

Re: EGW or TPS Rings?

I would not get the steel rings on the basis that they should be stronger. For one you are not attaching a steel scope with them and two the TPS alloy is stronger than their steel (so I was told by TPS). I like Aluminium rings just fine and have not broke any yet, no need for steel. By they way TPS are a great bang for the buck!

Oh I didn't realize it, I meant to put alloy steel for the TPS rings. So it's the TPS TSR alloy steel rings vs EGW HD aluminum rings for my EGW aluminum base.

+1 on the TPS rings. Three years now on one of my guns and never an issue.

If you have an aluminum base, I would recommend aluminum rings. Steel rings on an aluminum base will likely cause marks on the base. Not an issue for some, but just so you know.

I had TPS rings on my rifle with the scope that was attached to it until the beginning of this month. They always seemed to work well, and served me well. The only time they ever came loose was when I initially put them on without a torque wrench, and went too conservative on the torque (after torquing them to the proper spec with the correct tool, they always stayed perfectly tight). Didn't seem to mar the scope tube at all either.

Only reason that I switched rings is that I moved to a S&B scope with a Spuhr mount.

Awesome thanks, I think I'll just go with the TPS rings then, is it worth the extra couple dollars for the steel alloy or are the aluminums just as good?

I've had the EGW HD base and their aluminum rings on my .308 for about two years. I've taken the rings and scope off the base probably 5 times and have never had to adjust the scope more than one click after putting it back on. May not be the biggest name or highest price out there, but for what I do they've held up well.

I have two sets of TPS rings with S&B scopes in them and they serve me very well. I will advise you to buy it from a dealer with good customer service like SWFA or Brownells because TPS does not have good customer service. They don't answer their phone or email. If you have an issue or want to do a return or exchange, you will be taken care of by SWFA or Brownells but if you order direct from TPS you will have problems.