• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EGW scope mount

captainbarred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Schenectady, NY
Hey all,

Thanks to all the reviews and input from you guys, I bought a Savage 10 PC. Got it last week and just got an EGW rail to put on top of it.

I went to install it today and hit an odd snag. This seems really familiar, but I can't place where I have seen/heard this before and what the resolution is.

I installed all the screws, blue loc-tite (242) and torqued to 20 in/lb.

I was gunna let it sit overnight before touching it to let the loctite fully set, but then decided I should pop the bolt back in.

I pop it in, slide it all the way closed, and alas... cannot rotate the handle all the way down!

I pull it back out and remove/replace each screw individually and find its one of the forward screws.

3rd screw from the butt-stock end.

If I loosen it out about 1/2 way the bolt will seat and close, but any tighter than that and it won't rotate all the way shut.

So, the question is, do I leave the screw off? Do I shave it down or buy a shorter one from the hardware store? or what???

Any input appreciated!

Re: EGW scope mount

Are all the screws the same length?

I know Remingtons come with two short and two long screws. If you get them reversed the bolt will bind.

If they are all the same length, then I would just cut a little off the screw with a dremel and dress it with a file.

+1 on the screw lenghts. Take them out and stand them up sideby side. If not do above!

yup, you guys are right, I'm a dumbass! LOL!!!

There are 2 different size screws. I am guessing the short screws both go in the two middle holes?

I would think the to short screw go in the front two holes. I assume this is a sloped base, therefore the front two screws has less meat in the base to go thru. The rear has more meat cause it's taller at the rear. It may work the way your talking but not sure. I havn't tried it that way I just alwayys put the short screws in the front two holes.

Front holes = closest to barrel

Rear holes = closest to stock

after experimenting and trying each screw in each hole(yeah yeah... thats what she said) I found the 2 long ones do not impede the bolt at all in the back two holes, but they do not sit flush in either of the front two holes, so I think you are correct there that the short ones go in the front.

Thanks again to all!

You can also bed the base to your rifle if you'd like. It helps get a soild bearing suface if it's not milled perfect to your reciever. What you do is take a little jb weld and mix it. Take your receiver and put a little car wax on it as a release agent. Then take the jb weld and but a thin layer on the base and bolt install it on the rifle. After you tighten it down some of the jb weld will push out around the edges of the base remove this for a finished look. If you ever need to remove it just undue the screws and tap it lightly with a rubber mallet and it should pop right off. Of not but the iron on it for a few mintues and it'll pop off.

This just gives you a more soild connection between the rifle and the mounts.

also the front screw is over the threaded shank on the barrel where it screws into the receiver. gotta use a short one there too. i did the same thing.