• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EH1 or EH4 stock for light weight LR hunter.

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm in the process of building a light weight hunting rifle for a CO hunting trip. I have most everything except a stock and can't seem to nail that down. I would greatly appreciate whatever knowledge and opinions you guys can share to help me make my choice. I have a Defiance Hunter action about 3-4 weeks out, I'll be putting a Leupold Mk 6 3-18, seekins rings on it and a Bartlein #3 barrel 24-26". To stay close to my 10 lb goal I only have about 2+/- lbs for stock and bottom metal.
I've been looking at Stocky's and they Manners EH1 and EH4's in stock which are extremely light as compared to a T3 or T6 with the CF shells. But they have limited options of what's in stock at the moment.
My action will have the Wyatts box cut into it just incase but I can't decide if I want to go DBM or hinged floor plate.
Which stock would you guys recommend? What are the pros and cons/limitations of using the aluminum chassis for hinged floor plate. Also if going DBM other than APA and Seekins is there a good DBM I should be looking at?

I'll order a stock straight from Manners later with MY specs but with a 16-20 week wait, it wont be in before this years hunt so I need to work with what I can find in stock.

Thanks in advice for whatever help you can give.

I have an EH4 on order with the BDL mini chassis, for a hunting rifle I prefer the hinged floorplate mostly because I don't need a dbm on a hunting rifle and prefer a flush bottom. Aside from not having a detachable mag I can't see any limitations with the hinged floorplate mini chassis. If you decide you want to go the dbm route you might want to look at manner's badger dbm mini chassis, I have one on a T4A and it's pretty nice.

I have a EH1 on order. Never handled one but I know I like the types of stock. I'd pick whichever style you generally like best, they will both work great.

Between the EH1 and EH4, the core decision you have is do you want a traditional grip (EH4) or a more tactical, vertical grip (EH1)? I prefer the latter, so I've got an EH1 on order right now to go with my Rem700 Ti 300WM. I also went with the BDL chassis because, like Infringed, I don't need or want a DBM for hunting.

I prefer DBMs for a few reasons: no fumbling with shells in the dark or with cold fingers when loading/unloading (a safety concern), I can load up a DBM or two before heading out and prefer to have them secured that way over loose shells - I know of more than one story of having mixed calibers in a pocket because the last time that coat was used was with a different gun. Just a personal preference, and I had to get over ruining what I considered to be classic hunting rifle lines.

Thanks guys! I have a t5a with mini chassis for my .260. Between the t5 and the Hs precision on my LTR I just sold, I like both the vertical and traditional grip but I don't know how a vertical without a thumb hole would feel. ;)

Thanks again for your input it's helping..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say manners stocks retain their value fairly well so if you get one and decide you want another it shouldn't be that big of an issue to sell one and buy the other

I prefer DBMs for a few reasons: no fumbling with shells in the dark or with cold fingers when loading/unloading (a safety concern), I can load up a DBM or two before heading out and prefer to have them secured that way over loose shells - I know of more than one story of having mixed calibers in a pocket because the last time that coat was used was with a different gun. Just a personal preference, and I had to get over ruining what I considered to be classic hunting rifle lines.

It would be nice if somebody made a double stack DBM mag that sat flush with the stock when loaded.

Reactions: chevy327
EH1 Vs EH4

I have a Remington 7mm-08 with EH1 and M5 DBM. I started building it last spring with the goal of creating a short, lightish, medium range rifle that could double as target/steel ringer. I was able to keep the whole package at just over 10lbs with a loaded 5 rd mag. I really love this stock and will probably stick with it for all future builds.

Attachments

• DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
I have a lighter weight build being done right now with short action customs in an eh4. Also rem varmint contour. I chose the eh4 over the eh2 because I am going with a 16 inch barrel. No pics yet but Tom said the eh4 was preferable over the eh2 with at contour. I agree that your choice comes down to whether you want a hunter style or tac style. I bought from stockys and had it sent to badger to mill it out to accept their dbm

Anyone got a picture with a eh4 with rem varmint contour or smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an EH4 with the factory varmint contour.

It's 26" right now, which I think is a tad long for this stock.

My long term intentions are for a 20-22" barrel for a lighter hunting rig. The stock is awesome though, great ergonomics, very light and strong.

Hope that helps.